Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rotting Corpse

Comcast sucks.

Only where you live. We've got 80k up, 1 meg down. All the time. Plus, a few gigabytes worth of newsgroup binary downloads.

Ya, I have heard it depends ware your at.
Still given my location it should be way better.

They are making less then half of what local isp's are.

The net gose down about every 2 weeks for
days on end in this valley.

The main line runs along side tran tracks.
So they blame it on a trian derailment.

But, any one can tell you thats BS.

Its just them covering up for the fact they no one up here know what the fuck they are doing.

Its not even backed up and part of the monthly bill is for a back up we dont have.

I signed up with Charter Comm- as long as I can put up with their shitty cable, I get Unlimited bandwidth, 3MBPS up AND down, access to all ports and other shit. Basically I could set up a webserver at home and they wouldn't care. the only catch is that you will receive frequent disconnections due to shitty lines. Of course it's a little expensive, but it's damn well worth it.

Is is like this everywhere else? Or am I just a lucky bastard?

Csonicgo said:

I signed up with Charter Comm- as long as I can put up with their shitty cable, I get Unlimited bandwidth, 3MBPS up AND down, access to all ports and other shit. Basically I could set up a webserver at home and they wouldn't care. the only catch is that you will receive frequent disconnections due to shitty lines. Of course it's a little expensive, but it's damn well worth it.

Is is like this everywhere else? Or am I just a lucky bastard?

You're a lucky bastard for having that upstream. I use my xbox as a webserver, but my bandwidth makes it pretty impractical.

exp(x) said:

You're a lucky bastard for having that upstream. I use my xbox as a webserver, but my bandwidth makes it pretty impractical.

I live in Alabama, maybe the fact that I'm the only one on the block with CABLE, much less a broadband ISP...

Today I found out that having high speed installed would cost about $2K, and then $40/month for 1 down and 128k up.

AndrewB said:

Today I found out that having high speed installed would cost about $2K, and then $40/month for 1 down and 128k up.

Ouch. That's insane. It cost me nothing to install high speed.

In my area comcast just upgraded to 4mb. but im with wide open west and get internet/cable/voip for less than i would get just expanded cable/internet with comcast, witch i believe is well over $100 now.

At least they don't limit you to some dumb amount of international traffic, like most Portuguese ISPs do on their more reasonably priced contracts. After you hit the limit, you pay an additional fee for each traffic unit (I've paid 50 euros for 1.3 additional gigs once).

I'm currently enjoying Bredbandsbolagets service 8 Mbit/s - 1 Mbit/s up. Installation(startavgift right?) didn't cost us one penny. 499 SEK(around 60 USD?) per month. Internet providers are having a "war" here in Sweden, and BBB is offering 24 Mbit/s - 8 Mbit/s non-binding for up to two months. Again, installation is free.

Wiki states that Lund(southern city of Sweden) is offering 1 Gbit/s connections, which sounds rather nasty.

I had it for over a year and it was the most reliable internet service I'd ever had. It went offline about 4 or 5 times for 4 or 5 minutes during the midnight hours. The last service I had would go down for hours, if not days. IIRC it was AT&T, and at one point it was off for over a month. That was back in 2000 or 2001 though.

Roadrunner is better. I can download an entire HD worth of stuff in a day or two, and upload it about as fast.

spank said:

At least they don't limit you to some dumb amount of international traffic, like most Portuguese ISPs do on their more reasonably priced contracts. After you hit the limit, you pay an additional fee for each traffic unit (I've paid 50 euros for 1.3 additional gigs once).

That used to be the case down here, and I was the victim of a DDoS attack which had added a nice $400 onto the bill. We refused to pay it, and we eventually won with Telstra. The popular consensus with broadband nowadays is to provide "unlimited" plans that shape your bandwidth after you reach a download limit (or in Telstra's case, download and upload). For instance, if you go over 10gb in a month, your speed will go from something like 1500/256 to 64 total for the rest of that month. Trust me, going from 10000/128 to 64 total is painful for me, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Comcast and Roadrunner tie for being the best ISP I've used. Both go down quite rarely (when it happens its usually because the cable guy was working on the lines) and both are quite fast.

A good rule of thumb, at least in the UK, is that the companies with the largest advertising budgets often have the worst service.

I heard about my ISP through word of mouth and I certainly haven't seen any advertisements on TV for them. Guess which one of these companies it is.