Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

RCA surround on the PC

I'm trying to get these 5.1 surround speakers to work on my PC. However, these are RCA surround speakers, the kind you put on a stereo system. The back speaker signal is sent through the stereo channels on a different frequency. It's not great, but it does the job and it was a convenient standard at one point. However, my on-board sound has outlets for Line Out, Rear Speaker and Center/Subwoofer separately. I'm using NMixer, by the way, and my motherboard is the NForce4 chipset.

All attempts to set up the speakers for 5.1 have been bleah. I can tell that a signal is being sent, as when it sends sound through the back channels, I can only just hear it through both front and back.

Is there any way, some program to download, that'll allow the computer to recognize or simulate the RCA surround system?

I assume by "RCA surround" you mean either Dolby Pro Logic 1 or 2. I don't know of any sound card that bothers to support those standards. For those of you curious, Pro Logic 1/2 work by encoding additional information into the L/R channels that is then decoded by the receiver and sent to the appropriate speaker (all in analog).

I assume you're using some type of receiver to power these speakers (otherwise you have a good possibility of damaging the speakers/soundcard) so you could check if it has an optical in. I think most NForce4 mobo's have an optical out. That might get you multichannel sound for stuff like DVDs, but games are a different matter... Read up on connecting a receiver to a PC (there's lots of resources for home-theater PCs); surround-sound on a PC is actually harder than it should be.