Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJShrimpy

Can someone comment on my first pwad ever?

Is this a good start?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good start?

• The level design is great and so is the music.
    • It was ok I guess, nothing new or interesting.
    • Holy shit that was horrible.

Ok, this is my first PWAD ever so the level design isn't that great. It's a simple co-op level. All I want is some comments.

This is the starting room. Remember, this level is recommended for co-op only.

Barons of Hell await you at the end of the hallway.

Imps invade the top floor.

Ok so can someone just try it (on co-op mode) and give me a comment?
(In console type ADDBOT three times)

http://host-a.net/getfile.php?usern=DJShrimpy&file=CASTLE_OF_TERROR.WAD

Its alot better then my first attempt at a Megawad...

You guys remember that one dontcha?

Odium...

It was absolutely horrid...

Any way, back to the topic at hand, this is good, sadly i have no one to play with so i'm forced to playing it solo. And of course, since solo, iddqd is required.

Its no Deus Vult though. I rated it in the middle.

SS-Bowen said:

sadly i have no one to play with so i'm forced to playing it solo. And of course, since solo, iddqd is required.

Go to console and type ADDBOT three times, bots will be your buddies and will automatically start a co-op game. ;)

Needs better texture alignment and variance (something besides GSTONE!).

Now that I have played:

You have missing textures. You have doors that actually are several HUNDRED units beneath the adjacent hallways, so they take forever to open. The amount of monsters is ludicrous. There is no need for 292 monsters in a map this size. Its just stupid. There is no where near enough ammo or health.

In summary:
This map sucks. You do have promise though, but you need to practice quite a bit more.

I've only been using Doom Builder for about two days. I have to fix the doors and textures, but the monsters are staying, idc what anyone says, I like video games where the levels are OVERFLOWING with enemies.

However SOME of the doors are supposed to be like that, giving the monsters a lot of time to kill you before you enter the next level.

Yes, the level is SUPPOSED to be overflowing, like I said this is NOT a single player level, it is CO-OP ONLY because you get infinite lives.

DJShrimpy said:

it is CO-OP ONLY because you get infinite lives.

Expecting people to "play" like this is a really bad idea. Basically it is just a way to make sure almost no one bothers playing your maps.

If this was your first map, it was pretty awesome. I wish I would have had someone to play it on Co-Op with, but I had to plya it on my own. After beating it through once on multiplayer mode, I decided to try and play it through on SP without dying. I'm betting I could have beat the map like this, except for a few things, those being the Arachnotron, and Nazi's. I was always able to get the Arch Viles and Nazi's to infight, but while they were fighting, I would either A) Get Killed by the Arachnotron or B) get shot by 50 Nazi's.
So, my only suggestion would be to lessen the Nazi count by about half, and remove the Aracnotron. That's it. =)

Actually the reason I put the Arachnotron there is because it's in a position so that wherever your standing he can shoot you, so you can just stand behind a group of monsters and start a riot. This way, the Arachnotron was actually supposed to make the first room easier, but if you still have problems I'll just replace it with a group of Imps or something.

And yes, the Nazis are going down a bit as well as the Lost Souls.

The layout isn't half bad.

Texture allignment is a little off.

Monster placement is okay in some areas but I would lose the nazis and lower the overall number of enemys.

With a few hours work this could be a fun little map.

I'd suggest you remove the SS soldiers, people tend to get angry whenever they see those in a Pwad. Also, you need a bit more variation in color. The choice of textures make the maps look dull and ugly. Decorate the walls a bit more too. You're using Skull Tag aren't you? You should have a wide variety of textures to choose from.

DJ Shrimpy said
Actually the reason I put the Arachnotron there is because it's in a position so that wherever your standing he can shoot you, so you can just stand behind a group of monsters and start a riot. This way, the Arachnotron was actually supposed to make the first room easier, but if you still have problems I'll just replace it with a group of Imps or something.

And yes, the Nazis are going down a bit as well as the Lost Souls.

DON'T REMOVE THE ARACHNOTRON!!!
That arachnotron idea is actually pretty creative. Rather, make it so it only appears on Hurt me plenty and higher. On lower difficulties, you could replace it with a group of imps

Or as a joke, you could make it so that on harder difficulties, it's a single former human. But on easier difficulties, it's a group of spider masterminds and CyberDemons. >:D

Ach, sorry. I wanted to say remove the Arachnotron or lessen the Nazi count. The problem was just that when I was watching the Arch Viles fight the Nazis, the Arachnotron would kill me. If there weren't as many Nazis, then I could have gotten up the stairs more quickly and grabbed the Railgun.

DJShrimpy said:

Go to console and type ADDBOT three times, bots will be your buddies and will automatically start a co-op game. ;)

Bots aren't made yet for coop. But if you want them to just aimlessly run around, I guess that's fun.

Not too bad looking for an first map, you need to align those textures and lessen the monster count.
Use some more different textures looks quite boring as it is now, remove the nazi's cause they don't mix well with doom monsters imo.
Some light variation and of course more detail wouldn't hurt either.

Ok I just edited it, textures and lighting are still the same (I'll get to that later). All of the Abaddons are gone. All Super Shotgunners have been replaced with Zombiemen and the ammount was cut in half. There is only one Hectebus instead of three. The ammount of Knights, Barons, Elementals, and Demons were cut in half. There are tons of medkits, ammo boxes, and barrels (easy mode only). The Arachnotron stays. The barrels in the beggining were taken out. Every Knight is surrounded by four barrels. Two Belphegors were taken out. Revenants are surrounded by barrels so if you shoot a single barrel they'll all drop dead (too easy, oh well).

Oh, and the Nazis were replaces with Imps, with barrels leading up the staircase, the Archviles are blocked by a wall of barrels as well.

EDIT: Oh and you get alot more ammo when you start the level (instead of just a chingun's worth).

Looks pretty good to me. Any chance you'll ever release an SP version of it? That'd be nice as well.

ragnew said:

Looks pretty good to me. Any chance you'll ever release an SP version of it? That'd be nice as well.

By SP, do you meen single player? (norry I'm a n00b) If so, the map is single player already, I only RECOMMENDED that you use it for co-op only.

Yesterday after you updated the map, I played it. The changes that you made were very helpful, though it still took me a while to find a strategy that would work, but I did manage to beat the map without dying.
What I eventually did was back into a corner in the room with the demons, and picked them off 1 by 1 with my chaingun. Then I took out the Barons, grabbed the minigun, and the rest was a piece of cake.
For your first map, it was great if you ask me. Maybe it didn't have anything special in terms of looks, but it was a blast to play.

Tango said:

Yesterday after you updated the map, I played it. The changes that you made were very helpful, though it still took me a while to find a strategy that would work, but I did manage to beat the map without dying.
What I eventually did was back into a corner in the room with the demons, and picked them off 1 by 1 with my chaingun. Then I took out the Barons, grabbed the minigun, and the rest was a piece of cake.
For your first map, it was great if you ask me. Maybe it didn't have anything special in terms of looks, but it was a blast to play.

Congragulations. And thanks.