Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iori

Songs of the Damned

iori said:

then I have to populate it with the denizens of hell, which shouldn't be too arduous a task.

Heh, don't say that. This usually takes me months.

kristus said:

Heh, don't say that. This usually takes me months.

It is th most funny task...! ;) I usually do it while mapping, that can become a little stressful otherwise...! :P

Looks amazing, although I'm sure you've heard me say that in regards to this map numerous times in the past.

Ismaele said:

It is th most funny task...! ;) I usually do it while mapping, that can become a little stressful otherwise...! :P

I quite hate it actually. But the result is usually really quite good. But the thing I enjoy most is making the architecture and design. I also don't start adding monsters or most of the scripts until the whole map is built.

This is looking freakin' fanatastic. Reminds me a lot of Doom 64's castle/cathedral/demonic looking levels, which were my favorites. I can't wait to play this!

A couple new screens, I deleted an entire section because I'm trying to break up some symmetry. The reworked section is pictured below. To help break up some of the monotony in texturing (for me at least) I've included a few retouched Doom64 textures, coloured to the doom palette. They seem to work well with the stock doom2 textures so far, which I'm thankful for. Nothing too expansive though, just enough foreign textures to get me by.

Looks fantastic, keep it up. By this time you may be excited to finish it and upload it, but please take your time, specialy in the monstes/items placement (yet I can't wait). Also be sure what music you place there, this incredible map (and your efforts) deserve something more apropriate than the standard map01 music.

Very promising.

Architecture is really wonderful! :) I hope gameplay is going to be great too... and music has to be in accordance with the name of the .WAD! ;)

Maps with a vision. I like these. Looks like it'll be the next AotW.

The sky is unfortunately grainy though. I like the actual picture, but its roughness clashes with the map architecture.

Thanks for the great comments, they're really encouraging.

I'll try and retouch the sky some more to see if I can smooth out some of the roughness.

I think the sky gives the map atmosphere, i like how the sky is now. But that's just my 2 cents.

UPDATE: Map is done-ish. I need a few people to test this map for me and give me their feedback. Please post if you're interested :)

Still lookin' neat. Hopefully it'll be as fun as it looks!

Lüt said:

The sky is unfortunately grainy though. I like the actual picture, but its roughness clashes with the map architecture.

Quoted to stress :p Really nice looking sky, but if you can make it less grainy it'll prolly really help the ambiance.

Quite honestly I don't know how I would fix the graininess given Doom's palette -- Or should even be fixed in the first place (Doom is pretty grainy as it is...)?

I must also point out that I don't even notice graininess in-game, but I do see what you mean in the still shots. I'm not opposed to including a 'fixed' sky if someone wishes to attempt it; I've tried to no avail. The reason for this is that I don't have the original PSD file anywhere, meaning I'd have to edit the flat image as-is, which is a little trickier.