Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

your favorite method of getting rid of the assholes

I'm looking for some strategies for getting rid of the various enemies. I know a chainsaw/gun is good for a caco, hell knight, sceptre, but I'm wondering what weapon you prefer about the rest. Also, I didn't know about the cyberdemon trick (find a gap that's small enough bullets to get through, but not its rockets) so I'm after strategies like that too.

Technician: What about when there's no BFG available until later in the wad?

Gaylen Spladd: Not very useful for an arch-vile and up...

SSG for Archviles, Hell Knights/Barons, Cacodemons, Imps, Demons, and the Zombies (yeah it's a waste of ammo on them), Chaingun for the Revenants and sometimes the Mancubii, and Plasma Gun/BFG for everything else.

Ok, we've got down to what weapons are best for them, but what about their vulnerabilities? E.g the cyb that's too stupid to move, and just keeps trying to shoot rockets at you through a small gap, etc...

The only good way to deal with Revenants, to me, is to get them over a distance by sniping with the chaingun. It's too risky dealing with them in close quarters. I prefer to use the SSG against Archies, since rockets fly too slow. Rockets are great, however, for dealing with large amounts of demons or spectres.

Shotgun: Zombie, Sergeant, when alone Imp
Chainsaw: when a choke point exists Demon/Spectre
Plasma Rifle: Pain Elemental, Lost Soul, Arch Vile
Rocket Launcher: Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind
SSG: Everything else, and even some of the above when conditions are favorable

Every man has an atached tool to deal with many kind of holes, it's so good that you feel an unignorable need to use it.

My method to get rid of the CyberDemon: always run around it, if possible, and don't stop firing with your best weapon (BFG or Plasma Gun is suggested!). Obviously you need enough room to move, so I supposed you are dealing with it in a good arena (where I usually put CyberDemons in my maps). If there's not enough room, try to exploit any cover and hit him after it has just fired 3 rockets to your cover. ;)

More fighting methods for other monsters to come...

Chaingun to mow down former humans, ssg on a pack of imps, rocket launcher to clear out a room of imps or zombies, rocket launcher to soften up a crowd of pinkys.....and I like to use my pistol and fists on cyberdemons.

The SSG is a great weapon for Arch-Viles, I find. Just find some cover (even a 16 unit thick pillar is suitable for this, you're generally safe if you can't see them at all), pop behind that, then pop back out and blast 'em when they begin their attack, and then once more when they finish it (you should have enough time to hit them a couple of times . You really need to have a good sense of timing for this technique though, and it doesn't work particular well for multiple enemies (in this case, you'll need to be prepared to take a hit or two, and an even better sense of timing).

If you're in a hurry, the rocket launcher is good for this method too.

Zombieman: fist
Shotguy: SSG whatever/CG
SS: SSG
Imp: SSG
Lost Soul: Pistol/CG (better than shotguns)
Demon: SSG
SPectre: SSG
Revenant: CG/PG
Caco: RL
Pain Elem: SSG/PG/BFG (hell why not)
HK: SSG/PG
Arachnotron: RL/SSG
Mancubus: RL/PG
Archie: PG/BFG
Baron: SSG/PG/RL
Spiderdemon: BFG/PG
Cyberdemon: PG (no, the BFG is too dangerous on this fella)

Basically you use the shotgun on small encounters, the chaingun on bigger troop encounters, the rl on sniping farther clusters, the pg on panic and the BFG for quick horde elimination.

Ebon said:

Say what? Wow that's a waste of cells.

Ebon said:

Yeah, it's too dangerous... for the Cyberdemon (two or three shots and he's dead.)

Zombies - Pistol
Sergeants, Imps - Shotgun
Commandoes - Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Chaingun
Lost Soul - Shotgun, Chaingun
Demon, Specter - Chainsaw, Shotgun
Cacodemon, Pain Elemental - Chainsaw, Chaingun, Plasma Gun
Revenant - Super Shotgun, Chaingun
Hell Knight - Super Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun
Arachnotron, Mancubus, Baron - Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun
Archvile, Cyberdemon - BFG
Spider MasterMind - Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun, BFG

Single barrel shotgun is all you need for any "asshole."

The following strategy works on any non-hitscan armed enemy: stand behind a tree and use a hitscan weapon. (pistol/shotgun/SSG/chaingun)

Pretty sure that's that's the exact post that the OP was looking for in this thread. Glad I saw his trap and fell into it for him.

Job said:
Single barrel shotgun is all you need for any "asshole."

Yes, it'll make new assholes... in odd locations.

Epyo said:

The following strategy works on any non-hitscan armed enemy: stand behind a tree and use a hitscan weapon. (pistol/shotgun/SSG/chaingun)

Eh. That's introduced in zDoom/jDoom source ports, with the 3d thing walkover, and wasn't really meant to happen in original Doom (but in Heretic yes).

I said:

For max efficiency you have to keep the cyberdemon IN SIGHT at THE SAME ANGLE in CLOSE RANGE. Dangerous for your consumed flesh, ain't it? (late edit: btw, cyberdemons are fast)

Epyo said:

Pretty sure that's that's the exact post that the OP was looking for in this thread. Glad I saw his trap and fell into it for him.

What's hitscan? http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=162368&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending turned up with nothing useful.