Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

The /newstuff Chronicles #275

There is a problem with the script. Sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't. But I get the same effect with my most recent ZDoom build.

Belial said:

Some of the best wads this year come from Grazza's section in /oldstuff.

Could you post a link please? Did a search and found the The New Oldstuff chronicles but that's from doomer4ever and years ago.

Belial is referring to the monthly "old stuff" editions of the /newstuff Chronicles. So far, they have been numbers 252, 257, 261, 266, 270 and whatever number the delayed April edition eventually receives.

And Belial's comment is much appreciated. It helps make all the sifting worthwhile!

rf` said:

And as Kdizd has shown us, using doom2 textures (and sprites) in ultimate doom mods is also illegal.

How can it be illegal? Both games were made by the same company! Besides, assholes like Daniel rip stuff from other games everyday (Hacx)and nobody cares!

Craigs said:

How can it be illegal?

Any unauthorized use of resources is illegal, and id specifically clarified this point when asked by the kdizd team - i.e. that Doom2 resources could be used in Doom2 mods (as permitted by the EULA), but not ones for Ultimate Doom. And vice versa.

Grazza said:

Any unauthorized use of resources is illegal, and id specifically clarified this point when asked by the kdizd team - i.e. that Doom2 resources could be used in Doom2 mods (as permitted by the EULA), but not ones for Ultimate Doom. And vice versa.

TECHNICALLY yes... but id doesn't actually care. those involved with the KDIZD project made the DUMBEST mistake by asking id. Legally they have to protect their work, it's not as though they were going to write back, "Oh yeah sure, violate the license." For 10 years id knew people were doing this and didn't stop anyone, and silently supported it. By writing to them with a pretentious attitutde, they forced their hand to tell what was legally obligated, making it look bad for everyone else.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing has changed and I support and will continue to do as I always have.

Defending their license in any context where it is questioned is more or less caring... unless caring only means going to the edge of the world to see if a pixel of their artwork has been misused or ripped.

The only recent change that occurred is that id openly permitted resource usage under certain conditions through the latest licences, as opposed to not mentioning the matter (thus basically not allowed), as before.

Doesn't KDiZD use Hexen-based sprites and stuff like that, anyway? Maybe not, though it seemed so on a KDiZD thread.

myk said:

Doesn't KDiZD use Hexen-based sprites and stuff like that, anyway? Maybe not, though it seemed so on a KDiZD thread.

The final version won't use anything that isn't either from Doom 1 or original artwork. Everything else will either be replaced or removed.

That powerhand imp reminds me of Micheal Jackson for some reason. I'm not sure why...

Yeah, that worries me, too. Last weekend nothing, now this weekend... I hope #276 isn't lost in the mighty /dev/forgotit of the web.
Or did noone upload anything worth to review? (Wish I had the time to get myself into mapping...)

Tormentor667 said:

Out of curiosity... is #276 not a bit late? This weekend it's time for #277

Have you just noticed now that /newstuffs are no longer a weekly thing?

Cacodemon said:
Not weekly anymore? Reviewer capacity? Lack of wads? Hmm. Sad.

There's been some schedule sloppiness lately, that's all. It's still weekly (since it depends on how the archive works) and the wads that get uploaded get reviewed.

myk said:

There's been some schedule sloppiness lately, that's all. It's still weekly (since it depends on how the archive works) and the wads that get uploaded get reviewed.

I'm glad to hear hthat!