Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

What I do

Someone asked what I do around Doomworld, so I figure I should address the topic.

It's true that I don't do much news, and that's because I used to do it a LOT and I developed a severe allergy to it. I don't do news nowadays unless it's absolutely necessary.

I also don't mod the forums much. Well, I do, but Lüt does more. Actually, the forums are a lot less lamer than they were over the summer. I am not sure if that is because idiot kids aren't out of school anymore, or because the strongarm FUD tactics of myself and other mod/admins is working.

To the average person visiting the site, my fingerprint doesn't appear to be on much, so I'm not surprised that someone raised the question of what exactly I do and why I am in charge.

My job mainly consists of one thing: responsibility. Much like a manager at a company, if something fucks up, I am ultimately responsible. Arioch, Julian, AndrewB, they do the news and most of the stuff that you see on the front page, but if the site explodes, they'll go outside and smoke a cigarette because they know it's not their problem. It's mine.

I'm the person that got the redesign done that you see now, and I'm the person that is slowly working on the new redesign. It's due to me that we have a real news system and not just doing updates in raw HTML like we did for the first year. I was the one that added in the comment system. I got the poll software. I'm the one that hacked the news system to allow comments on POTDs. I was the one that set up the old forum software, and then set up the new forum software. I added code to the forum software to allow people to choose how they wanted topics displayed and how many posts per page. On the rare occasion we get a new hosted site, I set it up. I was the person that talked to Activision to get the free crap for the contest, and I made the HTML and the PHP/MySQL code for the contest.

My handiwork is somewhere on literally every page on Doomworld, but most of the time it's not readily apparent. FYI.

I'm the person that is slowly working on the new redesign.

there's gonna be another redesign?...wow the first one didn't last too long :P

It is foolish to question Ling's importance, people. We're practically breathing Ling's work by staying so goddamn long in his forums.

Yes I'm pretty sure he only checks that hosting email addy less then once a month =]

Ling, you should do something about the unfinished projects that are hosted, some didn't have an update on the page for close to 2 years, and you said it yourself you're supposed to be in charge of them.

I'm the person that got the redesign done that you see now, and I'm the person that is slowly working on the new redesign

So that design you showed us a while back (the design you see when you click on the contest) isn't going to be the new one? HURRAY!

As for the work on the forums, the php's, and other stuff you did here and there good job and keep it up (Hint, hint: avatar submit button) =]

That is a lot of work that all of us used to under-apreciate IMO. Thanks for telling us more about what you do Ling, it was really neat.

I want to write something nice, but I can't hink of anything that won't make me sound like a long-winded kissup. So I'm just gonna say: Thanks, Ling. We really do appreciate giving life to Doomworld and these forums.

What about Mordeth?

I think he maintains the sections, like source ports and that sort of thing.

Back in the day he used to do the news a lot, as well as be the equivalent of me on the forums during their first 9 or 10 months.

What a coincidence, so do I.

In fact, I'm so desperate getting a job has even crossed my mind.

What a coincidence, so do I.

In fact, I'm so desperate getting a job has even crossed my mind.

Oh god no! Think about what you are saying!

So you are the 'LING' witch the populas of doom world speak... I will say that you did a good job on the forums, simple in apprance, but thay run like clockwork(most of the time), better then other forums I've been to.

so we should blame Lüt for all the post miss managemint.

ok done.

....:/

What about Mordeth?

He eats WAREZ distributors. I wonder how they taste.

Oh, Ling, I appreciate your hard work.

He eats WAREZ distributors. I wonder how they taste.

Warez distributors are a tasty delectable snack, suitable for consumption by board moderators and forum administrators.

Lightly cooked in spicy TOPIC LOCKING and seasoned in sweet POST HELL, warez distributors are truly the food of gods!

I might not question Ling's work but I do question the point of this thread. Did people actually think Ling was a slave master of some kind?

Personally I even think Arioch, Julian and AndrewB enjoy doing what they do for this site, which is very good.

I might not question Ling's work but I do question the point of this thread. Did people actually think Ling was a slave master of some kind?

I asked what ling did nowadays because he doesn't seem to do the news, moderate and do his usual stuff as often as he used to. Just wanted to know if he's laying back and chillin or working on something. Good to hear he's still involved in this web site and isn't giving up on it. Can't wait to see the new redesign =]

<---- COMPLETE RETARD

You bastard.

Well maybe you should not have done something retarded.

I don't even remember what it was I posted there.

Warez distributors are a tasty delectable snack, suitable for consumption by board moderators and forum administrators.

Lightly cooked in spicy TOPIC LOCKING and seasoned in sweet POST HELL, warez distributors are truly the food of gods!

rofl