Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LUCKY MUD

combining wads into one wad

How do you combine your single wads into one wad so when you finish one you go to the other? I'm going to be here more often than I thought.

You want to combine separate maps, in separate wads, and put all these maps into one wad?

You currently have a map editing program, and now for this process you will need a wad editing program. Such as, XWE http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/

Inside this program you can move around and edit lumps. Lumps are parts of wad files. For example, a sound file in a wad would be a lump, such as DSSHOTGUN, or a music file like D_RUNNIN. Open up doom2.wad and check out all the lumps there are!

Another example of a lump is a map, such as MAP01 or E1M1. Map lumps are special because they have lumps that go with them at all times. You'll see when you open up one of your wads that your map lump has a number of lumps below it, like THINGS, LINEDEFS, and most likely the last one will be BLOCKMAP.

So all you need to do once you have your wad open, is find the import button, and find the other wads that you want the maps from, and import them.

One thing to note about XWE--it saves after you make any change! You should backup your wad files often.

Maybe I should rephrase my queston.
I have two different levels in two different Wads. I would like to combine the two levels into one Wad, so I can play level 1 and then start level 2 without ending the game and then loading level 2.

Exactly.

Just import the second wad into the first, and then rename one of the map lumps from MAP01 to MAP02. (or E1M1 to E1M2 if you're in doom 1)

Epyo, thanks for xwe. I found one problem. I wasn't changeing the map numbers. Both were e1m1. Also, I screwed something up and dmapedit quit working. I'm having to reload everything (thank god I backed up my levels). When I get every thing back up, I'll try again.

LUCKY MUD said:

and dmapedit quit working.

Sounds like your maps' lumps might have gotten out of order. Remember how Epyo said each map has its own set of lumps? You might have simply moved one of them or merged your wads at the wrong point, causing them to mix, which breaks most map editors. Just remember that the first one is the map header lump (e.g. MAP01 or E1M1), the next is THINGS, then comes LINEDEFS, SIDEDEFS, VERTEXES, SEGS, SSECTORS, NODES, SECTORS, REJECT, and the last is BLOCKMAP (or both BLOCKMAP and BEHAVIOR if it's in hexen format).

Now I'm having trouble with xwe. I can't get the help to work. When I click on help I get the listing and when I click on anything I get the headings, but when I click on the heading I get a blank black box. I have reloaded it and get the same thing.

I got xwe to work, but still have no help.I've to murge wads, but it's not working. I can murge the wads and xwe shows that there are two maps there, but when I play the wad I can only play the second map not the first. This is getting frustrating.Is there another program I can use?

LUCKY MUD said:
Is there another program I can use?

Yep, the brain. You can download it from your mother, if you're lucky.

In this case, rename one of the maps so they aren't called the same way. If both are Map01, change the name of the second one to Map02, or something like that.

MYK, thanks for the sarcasm. Really big help. I've been trying to get this to work without any help files. I did get it to work after just clicking on things and seeing what happens. Thank to all who helped me.