Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pred@tor

Ever get critized for playing old school Doom?

When I was playing Zdoom a few years back all my freinds made fun of me becuase I wasnt playing those new HIP games. I really didnt care what they thought I liked revisiting classic doom. I may have to install them again soon! I mean its an awesome game and the grand dad of all FPS!

Nope. In fact, people often stop by going "Woah, dude, is that Doom? Oh man, I remember that game..." etc etc.

Once a school newspaper editorial critisized the "lack of work" put into old games, but thats as close as its ever come.

Doom 64 looks decent actually I am suprised I never played it. I got rid of my N64 and I played Duke Nukem 64 but not DOOM. Oh well wouldnt a sprite conversion be nice from Doom 64 to the PC? They do it for Half-Life like the PS2 versions and Dreamcast models.

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-screen.html

I just saw those screen shots it looks pretty neat.

My dad wonders how I could possibly be getting so much enjoyment out of a twelve year old game. I never seem to quit playing it.

When I tried to introduce Doom to some kids at my school they just said "Why doesn't my health recharge?"

What is it with people and Halo's recharging health anyway?

Yeah, I know a few people who ask why the heck I still play Doom.
One of the kids I talked too, after I told him I play Classic Doom Online, he told me that him and his friend played it on the XBox. Then he started saying how funny the character looked when they run, which made me feel like slapping him. I guess they've been brain-washed by Halo or something.

rf` said:

Nope. In fact, people often stop by going "Woah, dude, is that Doom? Oh man, I remember that game..." etc etc.

Pretty much the same here, except some of those people do wonder why I favor older games, since now they've been absorbed into playing all of the modern and recent games a lot.

Lawl, whenever I start talking about how I started to make good maps in Doom, people are always just like "what the fuck ever" and "Half-Life 2 is better n00b" and no-one listens when I say, that you can customize it in all sorts of ways, be it monster making, weapon making, source editing or sprite editing or basically whatever. Yea....I'll shut up now.

EDIT: If I ever get on the school newspaper I just wanna prove all these jerks wrong and point everybody to source engines and this site. :P

Is doom easy to edit? I tried making weapons and skins for Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear but had no sucess. I play the modern games too but doom will always have a place in my heart I mean theres nothing like it...

If you’re good at pixel art, you can make some mean doom sprites in paint. I usually make medium def images and slaughter them down after. I still suck at map making :C

And the whole Halo, Half-Life shits the same in Canada.

rf` said:

That happened to me a few times in high school when i was playing my Doom mods.

Heh, actually, I've got a similar story about this one time I showed a kid in my 3D animation class in my Sophomore year my wolf3D mod, and a few minutes later there were several more people playing it. The teacher saw them playing it and he yelled at them and told them "Stop playing that Pokemon killing game and get back to work!" or at least something similar...

I had to tell the teacher that I was letting them beta-test it, so he kinda let them off with a warning. It was close to the end of the year, and most of the kids who were playing were done with their required projects, so I didn't really see the harm in lettng them play.

Yeh, everyone I ever speak to about it kinda sniggers and asks why I play it, they never have given me a good reason as to why I shouldnt play it though. Just let all your buddies keep paying for the latest shite that the game publishers ram down their throats.

A number of my friends and many people I talk to online are Doom fans, and at least four of them are particularly fond of the game and still play it on a regular basis (though among my comrades I'm the most diehard fan of the game, and am always the one that shows them the best new wads/mods). Hell, a friend of mine at school recently asked me to make a copy for him. I hardly know anyone who dosn't at least repect the game.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Once a school newspaper editorial critisized the "lack of work" put into old games, but thats as close as its ever come.

School newspapers are known for their terrible writing and bullshit opinions, and that comment certainly doesn't help the stereotype. While it may have been true in the early days of games, when they needed only the bare minimum in terms of design, visual aesthetic and depth, I really think that by the 16 bit era (early to mid 90's), we started seeing a significant rise in the quality of games, both from a visual and gameplay perspective. Any true artist should be able to look at the original Doom and recognize that the artwork is professionally implemented and was top notch for its time, and is still impressive today.

I may be the only one, but I think Doom still looks good compared to many older games (even some newer games, but then I'm a known sprite snob). It's stylised sprites and textures have really helped it not date quite so much. Compare Doom to basically any all-3d game from the early-mid 90's and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah all my mates take the piss and say why dont you play Halo and talk about the health recharging (PUSSYS!) and CSS and rubbish like that.

I like classic FPS's and Doom is a classic

Most people do give the "Woah! Doom! I remember that" or "Doom's cool" reaction. However, I've had some people make negative comments. These people are weak minded fools. Senseless followers of fashion, distracted by the nearest shiny bauble. They are the ones missing out, not me, and I feel contempt and/or sometimes pity for them. I certainly couldn't care less what they think about my game playing habits. :P

I don't really talk to people about Doom, I don't care about their silly hobbies. So why should I try to make them care about mine?

When I was in highschool and whatnot we had doom on our computers.

People that I used to play Doom with a lot did change for the worse though saying Doom is old lolz, sucks! and such things. Doesn't really bother me though.

I have a few friends that aren't really that into Doom, but they do enjoy very much to spank it out on Skulltag.

I don't play the old doom games anymore, haven't in years. Well, actually there was a couple of times I played them for a few minutes each just out of boredom. Doom was great for me ten years ago, when I was playing it all night stoned and absolutely hooked on them, but now I kinda laugh at the game struggling to remember what was so scary about it. Oh, and about criticism for playing them, the few times I have sat down with some classic doom, a passerby laughed and said "Oh my god games have come a long way."

Haha, playing Doom stoned rules. I've recently started doing that. I find that sometimes I'm a more alert player when stoned, and seem to get much more paranoid. However, it's easier for me to get lost.

Pred@tor said:

Oh well wouldnt a sprite conversion be nice from Doom 64 to the PC? They do it for Half-Life like the PS2 versions and Dreamcast models.

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-screen.html

I just saw those screen shots it looks pretty neat.

Those screenshots ARE from a conversion to the PC. It's the doom 64 tc, and you can download it on that very site. It's very close to the N64 version (few things are different, but only if you've played the N64 version enough to know the difference).

Actually, in the couple of times it's happened, the other person has some sort of awakening, and they go on this tangent of how newer games just aren't the same.

My pupils often know what is Doom and sometimes even like to play it.

people wonder why I still play wolf3d and Doom and why I play my snes more than my ps2. I simply reply "I'm old school"

One guy on this forum i go too dosen't seem to like me playing doom just because it hasn't got "Hip" Graphic's like fear. He REALLY dosen't like me playing Doom3.

I don't care what anyone says. Doom rules. Nothing's going to change that.

Nope, most of the pc gamers I know like me started play fps games when Doom was on dos.

But, I did get critzied for giving up BF2 for games like Team Fortress Classic, Wolf:ET and UT2004.