Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Microsoft have lost their minds

maybe you don't understand. Every office computer from here to hell will show this message because every IT/software guy I know from those places had to install WPA blockers, because the damn boards wouldn't approve buying a business license! Welcome to real business. And it's about to get icky. legit business logic? as in, stopping business because of "piracy"

Besides, Who the fuck pirates WINDOWS? that's like pirating coldplay albums. Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I have a problem when they deny legitimate, paid customers they ability to run their software. Ever tried to upgrade a motherboard on a computer running XP?

AndrewB said:

I have a problem when they deny legitimate, paid customers they ability to run their software. Ever tried to upgrade a motherboard on a computer running XP?

yes, I have, now imagine what they can do now. they could, get this, SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT! If they're this sneaky to make windows install this update without the user's consent...

I smell a lawsuit.

"WGA Notifications is for Windows XP users. Our client software does not collect any information that can be used to identify or contact a user. We use the same process used by many popular search engines and Web sites to determine where their users are from -- a form of IP lookup. This IP lookup process does not include any information that is used to identify you or contact you, and only gives a rough geographic representation of where users are located."

IP Police, anyone?

what? you're just paranoid. It's just a popup telling you, that your windows sucks and is warezed (which you seem so guilty of HMMM......) Just turn the automatic updates off, or switch to Linux (which i doubt you will)

I can hear the sound of Bill Gates's peg leg as his parrot screams "XP MARKS THE SPOT"........

Csonicgo said:

maybe you don't understand. Every office computer from here to hell will show this message because every IT/software guy I know from those places had to install WPA blockers, because the damn boards wouldn't approve buying a business license! Welcome to real business. And it's about to get icky. legit business logic? as in, stopping business because of "piracy"

Obviously the correct course of action would be to provide "the board" with this article, explaining that their PCs will become unusable without legitimate licenses. Then provide an OSS solution while the entire office shuts down. If it comes down to it, and someone gets fired because they cannot in good conscience support illegal use of software, then that someone has a mighty juicy lawsuit on his hands.

And if that's the way typical businesses work, then I must be headed straight for the Fortune-fucking-500. It costs me the price of a 25" TV set PER YEAR to get a dozen licenses for each MS product known to man.

Besides, Who the fuck pirates WINDOWS?

Uh... apparently the people you were just talking about.

gargoylol said:

what? you're just paranoid. It's just a popup telling you, that your windows sucks and is warezed (which you seem so guilty of HMMM......) Just turn the automatic updates off, or switch to Linux (which i doubt you will)

maybe because I got a new computer and installed the XP disc that I had for the computers in my house. Apparently that's illegal, even if I'm not a pirate, I'm just a highschool kid that wants to use a computer like any other citizen. Apparently I'm a CRIMINAL. The founding fathers are rolling in their graves over this shit so fast they're undead borring drills. Whatever happened to "Mind your own business" ?

yeah I must be "guilty" of not being able to fucking afford A new copy of windows XP everytime I upgrade my computer's motherboard!!!

I'm glad I read this thread and caught the update before it installed. No thanks, Mr. Gates.

Job said:

I'm glad I read this thread and caught the update before it installed. No thanks, Mr. Gates.

Don't be too sure. If Nintendo was sneaky enough to fix their firmware against flashcarts by implementing a firmware update into Mario Kart DS, Microsoft can do the same thing with THEIR software.

If it comes to me finding a patch to "fix" this, I'll be more than happy to help, while I'll be carted off to jail because I am a "criminal" for using a bohemoth of an OS with enough patches over it to make a hilbilly's overalls seem appealing.

but, look on the bright side! at least they didn't monopolize on birth control...

Csonicgo said:

maybe because I got a new computer and installed the XP disc that I had for the computers in my house. Apparently that's illegal, even if I'm not a pirate, I'm just a highschool kid that wants to use a computer like any other citizen. Apparently I'm a CRIMINAL. The founding fathers are rolling in their graves over this shit so fast they're undead borring drills. Whatever happened to "Mind your own business" ?

yeah I must be "guilty" of not being able to fucking afford A new copy of windows XP everytime I upgrade my computer's motherboard!!!

Wrong again.

Installing XP on multiple machines in the same household is hardly indicative of widespread piracy and MS knows this. I've done it myself without hassle. MS Support is also trained to give the customer the benefit of the doubt, going so far as to provide a new key for someone who has, oh say, run out of allotted activations for their particular copy.

If you got your activation key off of some spyware-ridden website, though, then it'd be time to worry.

Bucket said:

Wrong again.

Installing XP on multiple machines in the same household is hardly indicative of widespread piracy and MS knows this. I've done it myself without hassle. MS Support is also trained to give the customer the benefit of the doubt, going so far as to provide a new key for someone who has, oh say, run out of allotted activations for their particular copy.

If you got your activation key off of some spyware-ridden website, though, then it'd be time to worry.

well, I haven't done that to my own computer... but what I HAVE done...

I work (unofficially)for a computer maintanance/IT dept in Jefferson county board of education in Alabama.
I was given a Windows XP Professional SP2 disc and was told to "Install it" on 70 wiped computers from the US gov't. WITHOUT a license. I asked for one, I didn't get one. I asked again, no answer. So, I just used the old WPA kill patch that replaces winlogon.exe's WPA checker with a crack. Because It'd be my fault if the computers failed, and I'd be in deeper trouble if the computers were not finished. so I pressed on. now I'm worried I'll be punished for THEIR lazy asses. Is this justice?

Of course it is. At a time where the customer is always wrong, us small IT/comp maintanence guys deserve to be blamed for the laziness of board officials. We are supposed to be able to shit a key out of our ass everytime we want.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. but damnit, I know it will not last long before my story and countless others will surface over these next few weeks.

Well, I feel bad for your position and the headspace you have to get into just to go to work. However, I stand by my lawsuit statement.

Csonicgo said:

Every office computer from here to hell will show this message because every IT/software guy I know from those places had to install WPA blockers, because the damn boards wouldn't approve buying a business license!

WITHOUT a license. I asked for one, I didn't get one. I asked again, no answer. So, I just used the old WPA kill patch that replaces winlogon.exe's WPA checker with a crack.

How exactly is this behavior microsoft's fault?

quit changing the subject. MS will be at fault with many computers that are used in the educational/public field that mysteriously don't work anymore. Or, at least be in trouble with their little screen that says "WE KNOW.". I saw this kind of shit in a movie once.

Csonicgo said:

I work (unofficially)for a computer maintanance/IT dept in Jefferson county board of education in Alabama.
I was given a Windows XP Professional SP2 disc and was told to "Install it" on 70 wiped computers from the US gov't. WITHOUT a license.

The fact that they don't get you the licenses is their problem. The fact that you installed unlicensed copies is both their problem and yours. Any respectible business will get a volume license so that they remain legit/respectible.

I work with license issues every day at work (take care of two student computer labs (~60 comps), 10 office computers, and two Linux servers). If someone wants a piece of software on the computers, and we don't have a license for every single copy, it doesn't go on.

In the case of using that blocker on copies of Windows in a business...that sounds risky to me.

Csonicgo said:

Besides, Who the fuck pirates WINDOWS?

*ahem*

(however my, ah, questionable, copy of Server 2003 has been validated through this new WGA method)

Csonicgo said:
Besides, Who the fuck pirates WINDOWS? that's like pirating coldplay albums. Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

Worldwide, I'd say like half or more of the private users don't pay for it, as well as many business users. And this is a completely predictable Microsoft strategy; they had already stated they would do this a long while back when they started implementing that software verification thing.

Csonicgo said:

quit changing the subject. MS will be at fault with many computers that are used in the educational/public field that mysteriously don't work anymore. Or, at least be in trouble with their little screen that says "WE KNOW.". I saw this kind of shit in a movie once.

What the fuck? How am I changing the subject? Let me reiterate: How is it microsoft's fault that school boards and IT guys are too cheap and/or lazy to buy licenses?

Csonicgo, in case you're not aware, XP is pirated to death in China, Vietnam, and some other countries. That's all they do with XP is pirate it. Microsoft is tired of it and they want to do something about the rampant theft, which is exactly what it is. They're actually planning a smaller cheaper version of XP for the Vietnamese, but that's really all I know about it.
You can legally install XP on multiple computers in your home but you have to buy licenses to stay legal. Personally I'd rather have a few physical copies since I can get XP Pro SP2 for $135 legit instead of paying like $100 or so for each license.

Quast said:

What the fuck? How am I changing the subject? Let me reiterate: How is it microsoft's fault that school boards and IT guys are too cheap and/or lazy to buy licenses?

yeah, it's the IT guy's fault. He should pay for the licenses with his own money for no compensation.

Actually, the school I was working with had no IT guy.

Csonicgo said:

yeah, it's the IT guy's fault. He should pay for the licenses with his own money for no compensation.

Alright, we all know that IT doesn't have control over who pays for what. That's the purchasing department's job.

Piezo said:

Alright, we all know that IT doesn't have control over who pays for what. That's the purchasing department's job.

and they wouldn't get off their asses. Hmm.

It's funny when high officials break the law.

Piezo said:
Microsoft is tired of it and they want to do something about the rampant theft, which is exactly what it is.

Theft is when you take something from someone; in this case they are simply not being as generous as Microsoft expects or demands in regard to their software. Copyright infringement of this sort may be illegal in certain places due to the way business is done and information is treated, but it's hardly theft. Plus those countries are basically communist, so you can't expect them to be into our intellectual property nonsense.

Csonicgo said:

You can stop with the sarcasm.

If you could, point out where in those articles it says the IT guy (you) is now somehow the criminal. Do that and i'll admit you have a legitimate gripe...if not, stop trying to make yourself look like the victim of some conspiricy

People that use computers here where I live and do volunteer work, are paranoid. a box saying their copy of windows isn't genuine, and they'll freak out like you've deleted the magic blue e. Whom do they blame? the one that worked on it. Because I'm just a kid.

but now that I look back on it, I signed no papers. So I'm not legally responsible. lol. but still, I feel sad that all those comps are going to have this error.

Csonicgo said:

People that use computers here where I live and do volunteer work, are paranoid. a box saying their copy of windows isn't genuine, and they'll freak out like you've deleted the magic blue e. Whom do they blame? the one that worked on it. Because I'm just a kid.

lol

So what then? A couple dumbasses might get fired up over some popup? Can't you explain why it is the way it is if and when they accost you, christ. Show them these articles. When the secret microsoft police take you away to the secret microsoft jail for not personally buying the licences, come back to this thread (if you escape) and bitch