Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

CPU ripp offs

I have been buying alot of 486 mother board combos for about $5 each, comes with IO card and VESA video card too. good deal but my question is about the CPU's that came with the pack. When i first looked at them i saw they were cyrix 486 and thought they would suck, but i was wrong dead wrong. They are 66mhz, but they overclock well to 100mhz with little heat problems. However they seem to act and run like a pentium at the same speed. I have run games on those 486's that i could not run on a normal intel 486. So i am asking could this be one of the famous "cloned" intels CPU's. I know that in the mid 1990's alot of this went down. Cyrix and AMD would copy pentium/pentium pro chip specs and make/mix for their own chips. I think cyrix was famous for that. maybe they compied a pentium chip and sold it as a 486 CPU to say they had better products than intel. If anyone else has had experince with this what other companies and products have and still do this

Don't remember the Cyrix "numbers", but it sounds like yours are "486" plugins of their Pentium clones. Several companies sold these as upgrades (Evergreen Technologies for one). They work like a Pentium -except- they suck at floating point. So games that use FP will tend to run slower.

Memory also makes a big difference. I'm assuming these boards are using the newer 72pin memory style (vs the old 30).