Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

jdoom won't read dehacked patches

using -deh, both with and without the .deh extension, and even making a wad, inserting a "dehacked" lump, and inserting the patch into that. Any ideas?

EDIT: Got the weapons side of things to work, but still doesn't recognise health. One other question - how do you adjust a weapon's firing rate?

Grazza said:

If you haven't already done so, get the latest beta release:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/deng/deng-1.9.0-beta3-setup.exe?download
Which value are you trying to change, and to what?

The beta - I actually have faster load times with kickstart - I'm resolving this with another user

Values I'm trying to change are initial and max health, and I haven't tried modifying weapon firing rates just yet.

The new betas have improved dehacked support compared to earlier versions.

Having said that, it still doesn't appear to support some things in the Misc section. Using Hacx.deh, it gives the message:

Unknown miscellaneous info Max Health = 400.
Unknown miscellaneous info Max Armor = 400.
Unknown miscellaneous info Megasphere Health = 400.
Otherwise things in Hacx.deh appear to work OK (couldn't say more than that without extensive testing, but there is nothing obviously wrong, as there would be if the patch weren't being read at all - and there are no other error messages, other than the Cheats section in dehacked not being supported, which I'm sure is a deliberate feature).

Regarding "Max Health", note that this doesn't do what you'd expect it to. It actually applies only to health potions, which is why I asked what you were trying to change. It's possible for this to be working correctly but for the user not to realize if they are expecting something else.

Fixing up the smaller dpDehRead issues is something I plan to do in the latter stages of 1.9.0's development.

Having said that, it still doesn't appear to support some things in the Misc section.

These have been implemented for beta4 along with a few other things that it didn't support (like amount, type of armor given when using cheats and more) See here:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/deng?rev=2461&view=rev
You'll also see I've begun implementing [SOUND] support.

Max Health support is not implemented in currently released versions of dpDehRead though.

If you want to change the player's initial health you can do so via a Values DED definition (see Defs/jDoom/Values.DED).

Incidently, practically everything that can be changed via DEH patches can be changed via DED definitions too, so if your mod is for jDoom only you might consider using DED instead.

DaniJ said:

Incidently, practically everything that can be changed via DEH patches can be changed via DED definitions too, so if your mod is for jDoom only you might consider using DED instead.

Would the engine freak out if I gave a health DED value over 999? "infinity" would be good :D

Would the engine freak out if I gave a health DED value over 999? "infinity" would be good :D

It shouldn't cause a problem.

The status bar health indicator is draw limited to three digits though.