Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

my computer is messed up

so, many months back i posted a topic about how my computer kept freezing at the windows welcome screen or restarting over endlessly, etc. Even reinstalling wouldn't help. I thought the problem and the replies that I got told me that it was a dead HD. But, after buying a new HD, I still get the same problem.

So...if it isn't the HD, what is it? I don't get this click 'whirr' sound anymore, it just either freezes, important files on my HD become corrupt, etc. which prevents me from entering windows.

Now, I'm thinking it's the motherboard. What are the effects of an unstable motherboard?

What about the CPU? It seems to be doing tasks and calculations well so...I don't know..

any ideas? I'm about to buy a new motherboard but don't want to if that's not the problem.

could power supplies cause file corruption problems though? Sometimes windows gives me a message saying a file is missing (like browseui.dll which shows the graphical user interface)

Hmm...I don't think it's a memory problem.

From what you describe, I think it is a memory problem. Bad memory (and faulty power supplies) can cause a myriad of mysterious computer mishaps.

Could be your fan is blocked or not getting up to full speed.
That causes intermittant errors, cheapest option too.

A can of compressed air/gas can work wonders on clogged heatsink/fans and around motherboards and power supply's.

A bad power supply on the other hand can have you pulling your hair out with booting problems and windows errors almost on a daily basis. i went thru that myself a few years back, and thought that it was everything else besides the power supply. surprise surprise..