Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Odd Eye

The faces

I always wonder about the 3 textures with the faces in marble (you know what I mean), there is one with the face of the baron of hell, one with the face of the boss of doom 2, but I don't know the last one. It kinda looks like the spider mastermind, but I don't think it is. Does anybody else have any ideas?

Looks more like an Arch-vile (though it was made before it).

It's absolutely an Arch-Vile. Funny, I never thought about that, but when comparing the texture (MARBFAC2) with the Arch-Vile sprites it's so obvious!

Yah it’s him. I think about it. The All the Doom venal figures used for Doom were all created at the same time. The Spider Mastermind was one of the venal figures along with the manc and the rev. If not that, I'm sure Adrian probably had these monsters drawn up before production. Maybe they just didn't have the time to implant the arch either.

Kristian Ronge said:

It's absolutely an Arch-Vile. Funny, I never thought about that, but when comparing the texture (MARBFAC2) with the Arch-Vile sprites it's so obvious!

Yeesh, he sure is scary looking.

Heh, it is the Mancubus. Also, the Invulnerability is the Lost soul from the alphas (though that's something that didn't make it to the game as such and was recolored drastically.)

Ah, yes, it's quite obvious now. You can recognize the arch-vile really by jaw. And the megasphere resembling a mancubus is indeed quite strange. I wonder why they did that?

All three of these things--the alpha lost soul/invulernability sphere, the mancubus/megasphere, and the marble face/archvile thing are very peculiar and interesting. At first I didn't notice the marble's resemblance to the arch, but as soon as I saw the comparison, it was obvious, despite the arch's pixilation.

Odd Eye said:

I wonder why they did that?

They were too lazy to draw entirely new sprites.

i guess it isn't entirely unusual, in Halo 2 they used an earth texture as part of the landscape on "delta halo". you'll know it when you see it. you should be able to notice Africa and part of Asia

Ages ago some bloke won a visit to ID, and on one of the photos he was standing near a cardboard cut out of the Arch Vile, and its face looked exactly like the one on the texture, in fact the texture was probably made from a picture of the cutout

deathbringer said:

Ages ago some bloke won a visit to ID, and on one of the photos he was standing near a cardboard cut out of the Arch Vile, and its face looked exactly like the one on the texture, in fact the texture was probably made from a picture of the cutout

The designers really should've implemented the Arch Vile in original Doom, at least in episode 3, just to freak us out.