Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Recommendation for DOOM map format in BOOM-based ports

SoM and I are recommending that BOOM-based ports which anticipate new feature development in the future declare the linedef flag with value 2048 as "Reserved", such that if this flag is set on a line, all flags that were not in DOOM v1.9 will be cleared from the line.

This has been found to be necessary because of errors in Ultimate DOOM's E2M7, where around 1000 linedefs have the value 0xFE00 masked into the flags value. There could potentially be many more maps with this problem, as it is well-known that Hellmaker wads set all bits in mapthings that it does not understand.

Remind me again Quas; whats brok'd in E2M7 (I could search my log but I'm really lazy).

One of the two switches that opens the secret tunnel containing a soul sphere and a cell pack in the first room of the level suffers due to this problem. In Eternity, Line flag 1024 has become "3DMidTex", and in v3.33.02, 1S 3DMidTex switches would crash the game (in the current development build this crash no longer happens, but the switch does nothing without this fix).

The easiest way to fix this level and any other levels suffering the same problem is to sacrifice one of the extended line flags and declare it as being an invalid flag, as Lee Killough did for mapthings in MBF.

Thanks, I remember that the bug found wasnt critical to the map completion and I wasnt really interested in doing a max to find it (or checking that log, heh).

I'm really surprised this mapping error hasn't been found earlier...

Thats for the tipoff Quasar.

SoM and I are recommending that BOOM-based ports which anticipate new feature development in the future declare the linedef flag with value 2048 as "Reserved", such that if this flag is set on a line, all flags that were not in DOOM v1.9 will be cleared from the line.

Sounds reasonable to me. I can't really think of another way to deal with this issue.

Its just a bit of a shame (sick) to lose a value from the linedef flags.

Should this topic be always on top of the Source Ports?

Maybe all attention topics must be in one thread as links. It is very heavy to separate old topics from new if too many ATTNs topics are present and with a current date format on DW (mm.dd.yyyy) Hard to sort that mentally. For example I spend some seconds to find topics with new messages in Eternity thread - too many ATTNs there - 50%. Btw, I do not use "View New Posts"

Or it confuses only me?

This thread was only going to be a sticky until its timeliness wore off. It has done so, so no more sticky ^_^