Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Is there an active Quake mapping scene?

I did searches on Google and couldn't find any obvious community that is still involved with Quake editing. The odd deathmatch levels maybe, but single player levels etc?

I were also looking for that taking in consideration that this year Quake becomes ten.

Hmm... Amongst all the broken links and idle websites, I can't really find any site with any volume of levels being added from various people...

The best thing Quake has going is the demo scene (plus maybe some of the engines.) The mapping scene was probably dispersed to a degree because the Quakes are all very similar yet different games (and there are tons of quake-like games anyway), which decentralized it. /idgames2 was closed one day, and there seems to be no other such place for Quake. That didn't happen to DOOM because DOOM & DOOM II are basically the same game and true sequels, and nothing followed them (DOOM 3 is quite separate).

You might want to look at pure mapping sites than ones based on Quake. Hell, you won't even find shit on the Quake 3: Arena boards. There's the QuArK forum, which has a core group of about a dozen, and they post at least every day.

I find it surprising that the Quake mapping scene has sort of faded away. I think it's a really versatile way to create 3d levels with great lighting effects and architecture... Whilst not being too difficult an operation like some more modern games might be. Like Doom3, Half Life 2... etc.

I might make a map after I'm finished with this Doom one... Often when in the editor I think 'If only this were Quake... I could do this and that...'

But by the time a game is out, it has it's time, and mappers are active, then a year later, more games are out, and the division continues which makes it difficult for a large mappers community to remain... :(

I'm just wondering when the next time a truely great FPS will come out. I don't think there has been one since Quake.

inside3d.com isn't a mapping forum

the quake mapping scene is still very alive, you're all looking in the wrong places

gargoylol said:
the quake mapping scene is still very alive, you're all looking in the wrong places

You're most likely right since you're into it. Even with DOOM sometimes people can't find where the mods are (even when it kind of has only one truly significant and crucial place, /idgames).

gargoylol said:

inside3d.com isn't a mapping forum

Yes, but it does have connections to quake mappers.

Is it some sort of secret society?

KennyJC said:
Is it some sort of secret society?

He linked a site that showed quite a few new maps from recent dates.

Bank said:
How could I forget

It's pretty hard to forget something that's linked on the same thread, above, I'll give you that.