Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TawmDee

Doomworld MOD tracking Competition! (RESULTS)

[RESULTS POSTED]

Okay fags - I mean guys. Yeah.

It's chiptune composition time! Remember that this is some kind of challenge of your tracking skills so make it the best you can. Remember it's not too late to join, just track something and send it to my e-mail.

http://tomd666.kiwibonga.com/samples.it

YOU HAVE ONE WEEK, ALL MODS MUST BE IN ON WEDNESDAY 24TH MAY CAPS LOCK
NO COVERS PLZ this means you zarkyb

(note this post is repeated below)

THIS BE HOW THE VOTING SYSTEM WORKS:

Anyone can vote for the categories, and each voter must vote by sending an e-mail to me and listing the following categories below (include your dwforums username too.)

Best MOD (MOD recieves 3 points)
2nd best MOD (MOD recieves 2 points)
3rd best MOD (MOD recieves 1 point)

And to make things a little bit fun..

Worst MOD (MOD has 1 point taken away.)

(You can't vote for your own track btw)

EDIT: Votepack up! http://tomd666.kiwibonga.com/DOOMCHIP.rar

votes in on start of friday GMT plz.

The easiest to do what it sounds like you want to do is to make a soundfont. You'd just need the following:

- A SBLive or SBAudigy sound card
- Vienna Soundfont Studio 2.3 (free download)
- A wave editor like Goldwave

I can tell you how to do anything in Vienna.

... Or are you not talking about the Doom music?

MOD: a music format that uses samples, arranged and played in a piano roll-like fashion. See also Tracker.

Compo: short for "competition", most commonly used by the demoscene and related subcultures when referring to their contests related to programming, computer graphics and music. (lifted from Wikipedia)

MOD/tracking compo: a competition in which a particular sample set is laid out to use by authors to create a MOD or other tracked-format music file within a specified period of time.

This kind of abbreviation spawns monstrosities like "nades." I can't stand moron FPS geeks who say "nades." ESPECIALLY ONLINE.

suck my nades

But nades makes sense sort of since its grenades.

It isn't compotition

AndrewB said:
Shouldn't "compe" be short for competition?

Language formations tend to be reiterative, and we've already got "combo" for combination and, more informally, "convo" for conversation.

Yes, competition, and enough of this banter - who's interested? It's just for fun and all.

I gotta try this, but i can never get my .ITs to work in Doom (Zdoom etc.) so I change em to MP3.
EDIT: Is this like a make-a-song-out-of-doom-sounds thing? Just to clarify

No it's just a generic Mod compo featuring the forum users of doomworld! It's not for a WAD or anything. Sampleset is undecided.. :P

Thread cleared up a bit, thanks in advance for keeping it clean.

I'm so going to kick your asses Tom and CHEP

plus I'm gonna use the 1987 samples to kick your asses

I can make samples and I can make MIDIs but I usually make either MP3 or MIDI. I never tried MODs, whats a good tracker to use?

deathz0r said:

I'm so going to kick your asses Tom and CHEP

plus I'm gonna use the 1987 samples to kick your asses

I hope you make something as cool as ITSWEIRD. =P

We could be a bit progressive and try using Psycle, which is also open source, and more capable as far as effects go. Its tracker interface seems a bit weak to me, though... or maybe I just don't know how to insert a NOTE CUT yet. *grumble*

"s' a nuclear war.."

I kinda enjoy making mods too...though I usually just take midis I sequence in another program and convert them to mods. (doesn't always work so well...pitch bend stuff being ignored in the process etc.)

Would that count? Or is that like...cheating?

Yeah, you have to track from scratch. Also this compo is going to be using specific samples. About Psycle - I'm only accepting MOD/S3M/XM/IT and shiznit.

So far people interested:
Moi
Cheapy
Naut
Deathz0r
Baron
Bloodshedder
Zarkyb
Faint
anyone else?

heh...I was joking when I said "would that be cheating?" 'cause I didn't think you'd actually be such a tightass to disallow such a thing. (no offense) It's not like I'm stealing someone else's work and converting that, I'm just more comfortable working in a midi sequencer program.

But very well, I do know how to use Mod Tracker and have been using it off and on for a few years. so if that's the way it has to be, then so be it!

Baron said:

heh...I was joking when I said "would that be cheating?" 'cause I didn't think you'd actually be such a tightass to disallow such a thing.

Pay attention to demongay! Traditional mod tracking is a hallmark of masculinity!

Don't count me in officially, I haven't tried to create MODs yet and don't have a lot of time to learn. I might try something this weekend but what samples can I use? I can make my own samples from scratch..

I'd perfer it if you just used a MOD tracker since technically otherwise it'd be MIDI composing... I guess.