Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fredrik

Centered SSG

Recommended Posts

I think it looks worse and messy. The only thing I like about it is the reloading motion.

Instead I prefer Scuba's as it is polished and pixel-pushed, however that could use centered sprites of its own and wouldn't be that hard to do together with the already existing reloading frames.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, could do with a bit of polish, but I do prefer it. Scuba's one is good but, IMO, it doesn't look very Doomy with all the swirly engraving and silvery kind of colour. It loooks too antique to me. This fits in better - and it's centred.

Share this post


Link to post

It looks cool imo. Only thing that needs improvement is the blast frames, it looks like it's firing a dinky-ass red smoke cloud.

Share this post


Link to post

Remember, my Super Shotgun wasn't made for Freedoom. It was made for a gothic themed mod and given to Freedoom when it wasn't used. Freedoom does need a better super shotgun.

Share this post


Link to post

This one looks a lot better than your SSG. I'm not sure why, but something about the SSG strikes me as a poorly-done Unreal Tournament model-rip.

Share this post


Link to post

WildWeasel said:
I'm not sure why, but something about the SSG strikes me as a poorly-done Unreal Tournament model-rip.

Not sure; haven't played UT much, but it did remind me a bit of the Quake SSG at first sight, though naturally that one does not have a reloading sequence. Ingame it didn't though, and it works out really well; its flash is neater than the standard SSG's and its placement on the screen cleaner (less clutter without losing presence).

Share this post


Link to post

The SSG looks better in game than it did from simply inspecting the WAD in an editor. Very nice.

The RL looks fantastic in game. Really good. Lots of presence and a great action. Much applause.

Share this post


Link to post

Sadly that's not because I contribute much, but because others contribute even less...

Share this post


Link to post

Very nice!

The rocket launcher is nice, but it needs a matching pickup-sprite (the sprite you see when it's sitting on the ground).

Let me know when these are ready to be added in.

Share this post


Link to post

Jon said:
but I am a big fan of the existing rocket launcher,

It looks like a vehicle's hood, and is aligned to the right as for Quake 2. It's well drawn (pehrhaps a bit too "realistic", though), but... too wide anyway.

I think Freedoom needs more consistency than it does looking like a polished "professional" product.

Share this post


Link to post

IMO, Fredrik's new RL is far more appropriate for Freedoom than the old one. The old one is good, no doubt about that, but to me it never looked especially RL-like. What's more, it is offset and so doesn't look as "Doomy" to me nor does it match too well with where the projectiles appear. I also think the newer one is more consistent with the emerging look of Freedoom.

Share this post


Link to post
myk said:

It looks like a vehicle's hood, and is aligned to the right as for Quake 2.


When did we outlaw right-aligned weapons?

myk said:

I think Freedoom needs more consistency than it does looking like a polished "professional" product.


Elaborate on consistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Jon said:

When did we outlaw right-aligned weapons?


Because crosshairs and right handed weapons are not Doom features.

Share this post


Link to post

Jon said:
When did we outlaw right-aligned weapons?

Not so much as "outlaw" because what you work with is what's submitted, but if the weapons all eventually managed to be centered, better so for a Doom-based game. Unless you want it to be primarily a mouselook and crosshair style game.

Elaborate on consistency.

The alignment of the weapons is a start already, and on other grounds, I mentioned how I saw the current Rocket launcher as too "realistic" (artwork that tends to look more like a photograph); the monsters and other weapons tend to be more "creative" or "fantastic" (artwork that tends to look more like a drawing or painting). The artwork shouldn't clash so much in regard to artistic style; that's why, for example, I suggested a slight "texturing" tweak for gargoylol's Shotgun.

Share this post


Link to post
myk said:

The alignment of the weapons is a start already, and on other grounds, I mentioned how I saw the current Rocket launcher as too "realistic" (artwork that tends to look more like a photograph); the monsters and other weapons tend to be more "creative" or "fantastic" (artwork that tends to look more like a drawing or painting). The artwork shouldn't clash so much in regard to artistic style; that's why, for example, I suggested a slight "texturing" tweak for gargoylol's Shotgun.


[William T. Riker]Yes. Absolutely. I do indeed concur wholeheartedly.[/William T. Riker] :)

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×