Avpvt2 : fix for a sprite + warning about Doom Legacy

Alien Vs Predator Vs Terminator 2, by DARKMAN92/LIGHTMAN94

Hello Linguica.

Today, I ask to you a favor:
I published a comment about Avpvt2, here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10696

But I made a mistake...
Shame on me!!!
The guy was partially right, telling us that the sprites should be fixed.
I discovered that the sprite replacing the Commander Keen was wrongly coded:
normally, it has a height of 72, and here, the sprite has a height of 128, so that it's stucked in the ceilings!!!

Here is the correct code for the dehacked file:

Thing 25 (skinned corpse)
Hit points = 30
Injury frame = 765
Bits = 772
Height = 8388608
# height value added by Jive, so that the height is of 128 and no more of 72
# like it's the case for the normal Commander Keen

Can you add this code, so that everyone will be able to enjoy the pwad?

Thank you very much.
Jive

Of course, I didn't receive any comment, nor an answer, like usually...
I guess that I'm banned from Linguica's book?!?
Anyway, I'm pleased to share it with you.

For an unknown reason, Doom Legacy sucks and its engine hangs on Map01, when entering within the final room, with a splendid warning: "Signal handler() segment violation". I tried a lot of changes, but nothing was efficient.
So, avoid Legacy v1.42 (both modes, OpenGl and Software) to play with Avpvt2!!!
Gzdoom is fine, and ZdoomGl too.
I don't know for the other ports, but it should work without any problem, as far as there is nothing special in this Pwad.

If I took the time to write this message, it's because I like this Pwad, similar to AlienTc by Justin Fisher or "Real" by Joe Zona "JAZ", 2 Pwads immerging you within another dimension.

I guess that most of you are advised that my English sucks. But you could try to do the same kind of message in French, and to let me know who really sucks... lol

Thank you for your attention!

Jive said:
I guess that I'm banned from Linguica's book?!?

Yes, he probably "banned you from his book" because:

He has nothing to do with that wad.

If you're going to send him an email it should be about issues of the database itself, not wads.

The wads are hosted at ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/idgames/ (an independent archive of DOOM wads) and NOT http://www.doomworld.com/idgames (a database for downloading wads from the archive, on Doomworld).

If you have a problem with a wad, send an email to the author of the wad, not even the administrator of the (FTP) archive will modify wads for you.

If the author of the wad gives permission to modify the wad you'll be able to upload fixes (better just the buggy maps or whatever, not everything, unless you changed many maps or things), and if not, you need to get the author's permission to upload a modification of the wad to the idgames archive.

Jive said:

I discovered that the sprite replacing the Commander Keen was wrongly coded:
normally, it has a height of 72, and here, the sprite has a height of 128, so that it's stucked in the ceilings!!!

In the alien movies, the aliens pull the victims sometimes into the airing shafts to kill them. So i think, that happened to these people, who replace Keen. One half of their bodies do still stuck in the airing shafts. It looks very correct to me. The increasing of the height in the deh-patch happened intentionally.

Greetings
Funduke

funduke, you point of view is interesting.
I didn't think about this possibility.

Email sent to Sparky of KISS Software, the man who made this mod.
Fingers crossed!!!

About Linguica and the fact that he don't answer to any of my emails, I didn't tell you that it was only about Pwads.
And even...
Many times, it was for the purpose to share with other users, or about other subjects, and he is well placed in the Doom Community. At least, it was what I thought wrongly, apparently...

Thanks God, the authors are answering me pretty all the time, such as JR himself...

Stop pestering Linguica to "fix" stuff that isn't his, or to "do stuff" for you, or to ask him questions about editing / playing pwads / reviews or whatever else that is not specifically pertaining to Linguica or to something Linguica made. Use the forums for that, or contact the author directly. Common sense, no?

What are you telling to me?

"to "do stuff" for me"?!?
Huh.... ???????????
WTF...

I don't need it, I TRY to share what I discovered.
Nor I don't need you, nor anyone else.

I try to GIVE, to OFFER my work, nothing else!

The idea to share is a Common sens?
NO !!!
Obviously no, at least here...

Anyway, here is the issue for my email to Sparky of KISS Software:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

kelm@eisa.net.au
unrouteable mail domain "eisa.net.au"

Stop to tell me to contact authors, when I do it since a veeeeeeeeeeeeery long time. My address book is too heavy for Hotmail!!!
And I don't count the number of outdated addresses, like this one, because authors don't worry anymore about their work.

The Common sens would have liked that you ask me BEFORE saying yourselves how to make, if I had done it.
The answer is obvious: YES!!!
The next time, avoid this kind of lawsuit of intention, thank you.

As for the forums in general, I do not count any more the number of my messages, except here where it really does not make good come, because we are badly received.
You give the proof of it still today, whereas I sought to offer something coming from my own work made for FREE…

Bahhhhhhh...

P.S.: here is the good url for Avpvt2:
http://darklair101.www.50megs.com/

Jive said:

Can you add this code, so that everyone will be able to enjoy the pwad?

While you are sharing your code you are asking someone who has nothing to do with the wad, to do something he doesn't have permision to do (because he's not the author).

The common sense should be to ask the author of the mod to upload a new version or patch with the "fix" (judging by what was posted here I'm not sure if you discovered a bug), or better yet if he allow you to upload a fix. Another alternative if you can't contact the author or if you're lazy, should be to to upload a patch (with only that code and nothing else) without even asking the author, as it require the original wad and is an optional file, I don't see much of a problem (yet it's better to contact the author).
Another posibility could be to fix and do whatever you want on the copy you have in your hard drive and keep it for yourself, wich isn't a bad thing in any way.

vegeta, asshole, read my posts or shut your mouth, and return masturbating!

Jive said:

vegeta, asshole, read my posts or shut your mouth, and return masturbating!

Name calling and generally being anti-social isn't going to get you anywhere.

Jive, you are profoundly retarded.

The DW Idgames Front Page Says:
THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL /IDGAMES MIRROR! This is a community service provided by Linguica and Doomworld; it is not affiliated with Gamers.org, any of the /idgames mirrors, or anyone else. If you have a problem with the /idgames archives, go complain to them. If there's something wrong with the website, then feel free to complain to Linguica.

Dr. Zin said:

Jive, you are profoundly retarded.

zarkyb said:

And the snake bit its own tail...

If the author's e-mail is unreachable, try to find another way to contact him. Maybe you should also try contacting the Doom Legacy team if this is a bug in their port.

Doomworld has nothing to do with the files in the database - all we do is provide the service to view them, review them, and easily access mirrors to download them. Linguica (and anybody else running Doomworld) isn't likely to care about a particular PWAD on there. It's not his or anyone else here's mod.

Jive, you seem to making fun of other people for having a lack of common sense, when to me it seems you are the one lacking common sense.
Linguica can not modify that wad, as it is not his wad to modify. It's up to the author to decide whether its a mistake or not and whether it needs fixing. Asking/telling anyone else besides the author to fix it is useless.

Jive, if you read my post you'll notice that I mention alternatives if the e-mail of the author is invalid. I didn't were friendly, but neither agressive, your comments are out of place, and because of them you deserve to know the true...

Nobody cares about your code, so delete it or save it for your own use without annoy anyone, specialy via e-mail.

Edit: oh and that comment about "the snake" was dumb, are you aware that they aren't the same person?

After posting my last post in this thread, i played a short time in the three levels (including god mode and warping use). I found there a room with a higher ceiling. There was one of those keen replacements from that ceiling from a rope, that was bound at the ceiling. Again, it looked to be intentional. Lowering the sprite via dehacked would make that dead body like flying in the air.
So, just another reason, not to change it.

By the way: Sparky isn't the author, as you can read in the textfile. He essentially just removed unneccesary data from the add-on.

Greetings
Funduke

Could somebody sum up this thread for me? I cannot for the life of my find any point to it other than some retard not using whatever brain he has to figure out who to contact in regards to a single PWAD.

zarkyb said:

Don't worry about him; his skull is so thick I'd say he can butt right through anything, to get anywhere.