Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csonicgo

DIRMS, and fragmentation in general

http://www.dirms.com/home/homepage.asp

Does anyone use this defragmenter? I know there was a previous post on it but it was too old.

The only beef I have with it is the constant UDP port checks on the GUI version, and the other program, Buzzsaw, doesn't seem to work. thank god it's so small it can fit on a floppy.

all advertising aside, can anyone explain to me what defragmenting is? like, what does it do to files, and what are the benifits? I know the basic gist of it, but how does a file split into pieces in the first place?

ok, Dirms never seems to really COMPLETELY defrag. it seems to partially do it, and the only way to achieve total defragmentation and compact data is to run it a shitload of times. Seems kind of a chore. maybe a simple batch job would achieve this? And if possible, can someone lead me to a timer program that can execute files at a certain time? that'd be helpful for me so I wouldn't have to constantly and manually run it.

Csonicgo said:

And if possible, can someone lead me to a timer program that can execute files at a certain time?

I've never actually tried it. In fact it's one of the first things I disable on a fresh Windows install, but I *think* the Windows task scheduler will do what you're asking for.

Csonicgo said:

hmm, I dunno if that's on Windows 5.1 ( ;) ) but I'll look.

Its in the control panel for fuck sake.

Csonicgo said:

ok, Dirms never seems to really COMPLETELY defrag.

I've found that a combination of both dirms and Windows defragmenter works well. But if you don't have enough free space, no program can defragment your drive completely.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Its in the control panel for fuck sake.

uhm.... you could have told me that rather than use profanity.

Bloodshedder, thanks for telling me that, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Csonicgo said:

uhm.... you could have told me that rather than use profanity.

Its also by default in Start->Programs->Accesories->System Tools (or Start->All Programs->Accesories->System Tools if you use the modern start menu).

But really the Task Scheduler has been there since 9x and a quick check would have found where it was in XP (NT 5.1).