Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

The Honorable Eternity Released

Eternity Engine v3.33.33 has finally been released after many delays. But there's some neat new stuff in the port to make up for it:

• PolyObject support
  • Large flat support
  • Hexen map format support
  • Heretic IWAD support (Heretic itself is not fully supported yet)
  • Menu redesign, adding back multi-page menus
  • New music engine, supporting MP3, OGG, MIDI, and tracker modules
  • Rendering and 3D object clipping fixes

FIRST POST

YAY QUAS! YOU HAVE MADE MY DREAMS COME TRUE! seriously, you have made my day, as I can't play zdoom thanks to overheating issues.

A bit of an echo of what I said in the other thread but:

Fucking Finally <3

Dont really know what I'm going to do with it now that I have it though :\

Yay!

And what a lot of threes. I think I would have been tempted to call it ee3.33.33-win33.zip.

Awesome. Eternity's definitely my new engine of choice when it comes to both playing and map editing. Keep up the good work. :D

It does not wish to play correctly hr.wad\hr18*.lmp and strain.wad\map07 demos. PrBoom plays them correctly, Chocolate-Doom too, but Eternity doesn't

Eternity is currently behind with demo comp fixes. I'd be appreciative of any help that could be given in figuring out which ones I am missing and where I can find fixes for them, but I'm not holding my breath on that :P

Lacking it, I will probably do a sweep of the PrBoom source to find stuff. I liked it a lot more when cph was maintaining his doom bugs page :(

entryway said:

It does not wish to play correctly hr.wad\hr18*.lmp and strain.wad\map07 demos.

Probably due to fears expressed here, but doesn't limiting it to 14 lines remove the danger while still retaining good emulation? [Nitpick: Not even Prboom-plus plays back all hr.wad\hr18*.lmp Tasdoom demos, but you know about that of course.]

One other compatibility issue I have noticed (not a new one in this version) is that dead exits don't seem to work during playback of Boom demos (examples: ic10p005 and pd22p030). I still need to test that with the DOS Boom 2.02 exe though to make sure that it is Eternity at fault and not PrBoom (though I have also tested with Prboom 2.02 - "WinBoom" - and I have never known of any behaviour/compatibility differences between the two 2.02s). I presume the problem is that MBF's compat option for "Zombie players can exit levels" is being set to "no" for playback of Boom demos, but this is not Boom's actual behaviour.

BTW Quasar, it would be a lot easier to test Eternity's demo compatibility if it had a "go directly to next stats screen" button. Using that, I was able to test hundreds of demos in Prboom-plus in the time it would have taken to test a few dozen otherwise.

I have no idea how to implement that :)

EDIT: Also, I was waiting to see more reports on how well the spechits emulation actually works before implementing it. I understand it says "Vanilla DOOM" but in that thread it is admitted that the values being used for "addr" were derived by hacking DOOM 95, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that DOOM 95's memory layout or alignment is in any way even slightly reminiscient of Vanilla DOOM's, so I fail to understand why the fix works. I tend to shy away from what I don't understand.

Grazza said:

Probably due to fears expressed here, but doesn't limiting it to 14 lines remove the danger while still retaining good emulation?

This problem does not exist. PrBoom(+) shows error if numspechit more than 14 and does not try to emulate.

Sorry to double post, but here's a possible fix for the zombie exit in BOOM demos:

// haleyjd 05/18/06: BOOM fix: allow zombie exits
      if(demo_version >= 200 && demo_version <= 202)
         comp[comp_zombie] = false;
Does that look right? :)

Quasar said:

EDIT: Also, I was waiting to see more reports on how well the spechits emulation actually works before implementing it. I understand it says "Vanilla DOOM" but in that thread it is admitted that the values being used for "addr" were derived by hacking DOOM 95, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that DOOM 95's memory layout or alignment is in any way even slightly reminiscient of Vanilla DOOM's, so I fail to understand why the fix works. I tend to shy away from what I don't understand.

You are right. But actually there is no dependence on exact value of this address. Besides, numspechit for other 'strange' reasons actually cannot fall outside the supported limit. As far as I remember.

Grazza said:

[Nitpick: Not even Prboom-plus plays back all hr.wad\hr18*.lmp Tasdoom demos, but you know about that of course.]

There is no sense to take trouble over compatibility with dead port if it will take more than five minutes, but I'll probably make it if you will pay me a dollar.

entryway, help quasar fix this for the love! Eternity just isn't without the demo support---right?

I mean, nothing's wrong with a 200 MHz with SMMU loaded. ;)

Quasar said:

Also, I was waiting to see more reports on how well the spechits emulation actually works before implementing it.

I have maintained a detailed list of maps where there is an established possibility of such an overflow. I have found no cases of the emulation causing a crash, and no instances where it demonstrably fails to emulate the behaviour of the vanilla exes accurately. This is from testing something well in excess of 1000 demos, including any I could remember where there had been any unexplained desyncs.

A couple of other things I noticed:
* Eternity still features Boom's interpretation of Max Health in dehacked, and not vanilla's (without a compat option as far as I can tell).
* The MF_JUSTHIT problem remains, so the three Hacx demos hx07-932, hx11-631 and hx17-459 still desync.

Andrey: The fact that I called it a "nitpick" shows that I don't regard it as a major issue. :)

Grazza said:

Andrey: The fact that I called it a "nitpick" shows that I don't regard it as a major issue. :)

Where can I find hr18*.lmp Tasdoom demos?

Grazza said:

I have maintained a detailed list of maps where there is an established possibility of such an overflow. I have found no cases of the emulation causing a crash, and no instances where it demonstrably fails to emulate the behaviour of the vanilla exes accurately. This is from testing something well in excess of 1000 demos, including any I could remember where there had been any unexplained desyncs.

A couple of other things I noticed:
* Eternity still features Boom's interpretation of Max Health in dehacked, and not vanilla's (without a compat option as far as I can tell).
* The MF_JUSTHIT problem remains, so the three Hacx demos hx07-932, hx11-631 and hx17-459 still desync.

JUSTHIT should have been fixed, I added code to fix this. I will investigate it further, but if the fix I already put in does nothing, I'm not so sure that it's the JUSTHIT flag causing this.

AgentSpork said:

Awesome. Eternity's definitely my new engine of choice when it comes to both playing and map editing. Keep up the good work. :D

I'm looking forward to that. :)

Quasar said:

JUSTHIT should have been fixed, I added code to fix this. I will investigate it further, but if the fix I already put in does nothing, I'm not so sure that it's the JUSTHIT flag causing this.

Sorry, my mistake - I was using the wrong version of the deh (kind of embarrassing that I should forget this, having been involved in tracking down that issue in the first place :/ ). These three demos all play back OK.

entryway said:

Only DosDoom demos there. What the difference between DosDoom 0.47 and TasDoom demos? Only wrong order of bytes in TasDoom demos?

The demos at the TAS site described as "Dosdoom 0.47" were recorded with Tasdoom, and then converted to make them Dosdoom format. My understanding is that the only difference between them is the scrambling of the bytes.

Sign in to follow this