Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Is the Doom Community dying?

Agreed, but there's still a lot more wads out there for Doom than there ever will be for Half-Life. Heck, the Dzone library alone far outstrips the entirety of available mods of HL.

Also consider that Doom opened the door for it all. The wads, tcs, development tools, opening the source code. ALL of that started with Doom.

Also consider that Half-Life I was nothing more than a glorified Quake II mod, without even any deathmatch capabilities, and there's a pretty darn good idea of which was the better game.

ooverlord said:

Agreed, but there's still a lot more wads out there for Doom than there ever will be for Half-Life. Heck, the Dzone library alone far outstrips the entirety of available mods of HL.

That's what I meant essentially. And that's why doom is still so playable after all these years, because it's always changing.

Nick Perrin said:
And that's why doom is still so playable after all these years, because it's always changing.

That fails it, but this is right: Doom is moddable after all these years because it keeps on changing, and is playable after all these years because it does not change.

ooverlord, that is a VERY good post... and definitely fits into a Memorial Day theme.

I think you're right, but in an ADHD country, people forget a lot of stuff. I equate it to an article recently on Digg about a motion sensing controller. Microsoft originally created a motion sensing side winder, but people forgot (and it hasn't been ten years) that Microsoft pioneered this for games.

I recently rediscovered Doom a few years ago while looking through things. I knew Doom was online, but I never knew ZDaemon was pretty large... although, < 100 users online is pretty small compared to Quake and Counter Strike, but Doom certainly is awesome.

The "garage development" is a cultural icon in the 90s. Nothing can take away the nostalgia I get when I play Doom. Even before the Web took off, there was Doom and BBS play.

Nope, but with all this naysaying it will be. Quit thinking so much about what-if, think about the now.

udderdude said:

Yes, everyone in the Doom community is going to leave for Quake next thursday. Didn't you get the memo?

And I thought the Quake community was going for unreal.

ooverlord said:

ALL of that started with Doom.

Not true in the slightest. At the very least, I'd say it started with Wolf3D. There were level editors for it in 1992, the source code was released in 1995 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), and people were making mods by 1993, probably back in 1992 as well. All of what I mentioned (except the source code release) happened before Doom was released.

Also consider that Half-Life I was nothing more than a glorified Quake II mod, without even any deathmatch capabilities, and there's a pretty darn good idea of which was the better game.

Newsflash: Despite many rumours of being based on the Quake II engine, Half-Life actually uses a licensed Quake engine, with a very small amount of code. I'm sure CheapAlert or anyone else knowledgable can provide more detailed information about it.

deathz0r said:
Not true in the slightest.

It could be said that Wolfenstein 3D opened the door for DOOM, and DOOM for the FPS gerne. Wolf3D's editing surprised id Software, and pushed them to concentrate on aspects like making mods easier to make (starting with DOOM).

The Doom community will never die. Mainly because I'm not going anywhere. Given I don't post here all that often, but so long as I check in every couple of months the community isn't dead is it? I still play doom almost every day, though I have to admit I have been on a bit of a Quake binge lately.

I stand corrected Deathzor, Wolf3D did pioneer the development of mods. Still, it was Doom that really turned the mod community into what it is today. Id provided FAR more support for Doom in regards to the making of mods than anyone ever did with any game before. I'd say there's probably more available content for Doom than just about any other action game.

Still, Doom did pioneer may other technologies, such as deathmatching (and the first ever official online tournament, Judgement Day), so the point is still valid.

As to HL, yeah I know it was licensed, but the point is that, despite the fact that the game was very well-done, it really didn't add anything to the genre. Heck they didn't even have online multiplayer, and we had that with Doom well before.

Doom ownz Half-Life, both in popularity-relative-to-it's-time, technological innovation, and historical impact, not to mention that Doom's wadfiles and general content far outstrip HL.

Half-Life's a nice game, and it's popular now and that's great, but Doom is a true legend on just about every level, and besides games like Spasim or Maze Hunter (the first fps's) or Id's own Wolfenstein, there isn't anything really in its class.

How this thread got from "is the doom community dieing?" to HL vs doom is mind boggling. Somebody plz tell me why.

Apologies. I was just saying that some people were leaving Doom because they think HL is so much better, and describing that, taking each relative to its own time and tech (the only fair way to judge two games of different times) it just plain isn't. But it got off track. I digressed.

The point here is that Doom's contributions to the genre have probably had the greatest impact in FPS history. In fact there may never BE another FPS title that has this big an impact on almost every level. That is why, besides the fact that the game is still awesome over a decade later, that the Doom community will never die, because real gamers appreciate games with this kind of impact.

Then again, I still play 'Street Beat' for the Commodore 64 every once in a while, so I might just be talking out of my hat. :)

Just my .02,
Rick

ooverlord: Please stop putting a "manual sig" at the end of your posts. There's really no need for it.

Note that sigs are deliberately disabled by default.

And don't take this thread too seriously. It really only exists because some guys got disgrunted about one specific issue - and one that isn't related to the game's undeniable longevity.

Does this thread really serve a purpose anymore? The Doom community isn't dying anytime soon. It doesn't matter how it all started. If there are people who are actually concerned about the state of the community, why don't you do something about it, like get some friends or more people interested in Doom and mod making, instead of coming here complaining about it instead? Look around you. There are tons of active users here every day, we have a (nearly) weekly review here at Doomworld of new mods and wads being released, and sourceports are constantly being updated with new features among other things to ensure that Doom lasts a long, long time. There is no dying community. The growth may have slowed down at this point, but I'd rather have the people that have been around forever than a gigantic tidal wave of newbies crashing down on us week after week such as what happened for a short while after Doom 3 was released. The point is: Stop complaining and/or debating over the issue and do something constructive.

Sorry, I've done b-boards so long that I automatically type my sig sometimes. I'll try to keep from doing it from now on here.

I think as long as doom has a couple of hardcore fans that the doom comunity will be fine...I know i've played it since it came out and i will continue to play it til i'm too old to remember how to operate a computer.

Grazza said:

ooverlord: Please stop putting a "manual sig" at the end of your posts. There's really no need for it.

Note that sigs are deliberately disabled by default.

Tell that to Funduke.

Fusion said:

No, it's not. But i wish this thread would.

Kinda hypocritical to post on it if you want it dead. Oops.

I think doom has special status, while it was not the first FPS, or even the first moddable FPS, it was the game that began the explosion of FPS games, in fact for quite a few years after its release, such games where referred to as "doom style". Its legendary status draws people to it, and the ease with which mods can be made, the mature and intelligent (mostly) scene surrounding it and its limits, which mean you have to be more creative, aid its longevity. After all, when quake 5 comes out, loads of people will flock to it, some "will never be finished" TC's will be announced and moronic idiots with have shouting matches on forums about what year the P90 was first made in, a few nice maps will be made, granted, but they will be more made by the engine, the creators wont really be trying anything out, simply making a map with the features the new engine allows, nobody will attempt to push its limits, probably because they'll be too busy arguing over the clip size of a P90. Then quake 6 will come out, and what will the community have to stick around for? nothing, the game will die. And so the cycle goes on, but with doom that cant happen