Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Higher Game

Why is jumping impossible for left straferunning?

I can jump when I'm straferunning right, but I can't jump when I'm straferunning left. Why? Is this a problem with Zdaemon?

It can also be a problem with your keyboard. Some have problems with some combinations of simultaneous keypresses.

It's a Hewlett Packard keyboard, but it has no numbers or anything else on it to tell me anything. It just says Hewlett Packard. Would a Dell keyboard work better?

If you have an alternative keyboard handy, try it. That's the easiest way to check.

I don't have any other keyboard. This is just the one that came with the computer. Can I test it in any other way?

Rebind the movement keys so that left goes right and vice versa. If it is the same afterward it isn't the keyboard but if with such swapped bindings it only works to the other side you know what is wrong.

Higher Game said:

I can jump when I'm straferunning right, but I can't jump when I'm straferunning left. Why? Is this a problem with Zdaemon?

With most keyboards, you can only use 4 keys at once, so if you're holding down shift to run, a to move to the side, w to move foward, and space to jump, that might be the problem. If you're pressing too many keys at once, then your computer should make a beeping noise. If that's not the case, I don't know what's wrong.
Check your key configuration too.

I have autorun on, so I'm just holding 3 keys down at once when I strafejump. When I reversed the key bindings, the situation reversed; I could strafejump left, but not right. I think it's the keyboard... :(

I feel violated. Not only did I get a cheap ball mouse and cheap 60 Hz refresh CRT monitor with a whopping 640x480 resolution, but HP gives me a cheap keyboard too. They do that just to save a couple cents while I pay thousands for their garbage!!!!!!!!!

I might just buy a Dell to spite them. Do Dell keyboards work with more than 3 keys at once? If not, what keyboard should I get?

Don't get a Dell, my friend got one and it's been nothing but trouble.

I've had similar issues setting up sr50, and then being able to hit use while doing an sr50. I was working with more keys, though. Your keyboard seems more retarded, though. Just move some binds around till you get a combination that works.

Or, better yet, just play on the more classic servers where jumping isn't allowed. Problem fixed!

I have a Dell (+ Dell keyboard), and (like myk) initially had some problems with getting a strafe50 set-up, because it didn't like a large number of standard keys (i.e. 3) being pressed at once. I solved this by using Ctrl and Alt for turn left/right, and it works fine (e.g., SR50 is W+D+Alt+RMB with autorun).

I'm too used to my key configuration now. I'm willing to get a new keyboard to fix this problem. What's a good keyboard?

Higher Game said:

I'm too used to my key configuration now. I'm willing to get a new keyboard to fix this problem. What's a good keyboard?

I don't know what keyboard would solve your problem, but don't just buy any random expensive keyboard. I have a fairly expensive Logitech cordless keyboard. It is the best keyboard I've ever had, but I just tried the straferunning thing and I couldn't jump in either direction. I hadn't noticed that before, because I don't jump in Doom much.

It never works for me either. I used to think it was a game problem, until I came across some other applications year ago where I could use the same key combination, and the same result occurred. For some reason up+left never works in combination while up+right always does. I haven't tried it on non-Windows machines so I'm not sure if it's Windows-specific or hardware-specific, but it happens at a much more general level than Doom-specific.

Higher Game said:

I'm too used to my key configuration now.

It's natural to imagine that changing a configuration will be a big problem and take ages to get used to, but my experience is that in fact you adapt pretty quickly. Last time I had a major change, within a few days I was getting better results than with my previous set-up (which had also been a lot less comfortable).

Besides, as people have said, a new keyboard won't necessarily solve your problem, or be free from other problems. So it pays to be flexible. After all, the human is the most adaptable component of the human+computer dynamic system.

I used to play with the arrow keys until I switched to WASD and I got so much more skilled just from that switch. I'm not leaving the WASD sweet spot just because I have a cheap keyboard. I'm just going to get a new one.

Someone who can do this without a problem, please say what keyboard you use!

With pretty much all keyboards, holding up, left and ALT at the same time cuases beeping. Don't know what that limitation is about or why it exists, but my keyboard is NOT retarded (IBM Model M white label) and its done it on every keyboard I've tried in recent memory.

Grazza said:
It's natural to imagine that changing a configuration will be a big problem and take ages to get used to, but my experience is that in fact you adapt pretty quickly.

It depends how you change it; more or less the same arrangement in a different location of the keyboard won't be too much trouble, but if you change it, it's harder, and its hell if you give your fingers totally different functions. At least in my experience.

I heard or read about a keyboard that will work with any number of buttons pressed at the same time that costs about $50. If you're that serious about it then I'd recommend looking into it.

AlexMax said:

With pretty much all keyboards, holding up, left and ALT at the same time cuases beeping. Don't know what that limitation is about or why it exists, but my keyboard is NOT retarded (IBM Model M white label) and its done it on every keyboard I've tried in recent memory.

I bet it was some sort of key combination for some OS back in the day...

Higher Game said:

cheap 60 Hz refresh CRT monitor with a whopping 640x480 resolution

Ugh. How old is this calculator computer?
I still use a 13-year old Keytronic keyboard, works like a charm. Only thing is that it doesn't have the Windows key, but I'm used to that.

Yeah, the only board that doesn't do this shit is the one I got 10 years ago.

I got this computer at Best Buy and it looks like a good deal when you see the "free" monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and free "software" (read:spyware) on it. Yes, I even got the extended warranty...

Even if I were to make a computer today, from the sweat of my brow, it would cost me more than to just buy it at Best Buy. They sell the individual pieces at inflated prices. Even now, a 6600GT costs like $220 at the one closest to me, with 6800GT the best they have at like $300.

Everything would be different if ordering stuff online were safer or I moved elsewhere.

Higher Game said:

Everything would be different if ordering stuff online were safer or I moved elsewhere.

Dude, ordering stuff online is really safe. I've bought everything for my computer online. If COD is possible, go for it. Giving your credit card information might be scary, but with today's secure online shopping, it's safer to place that order than to pull the card out of your wallet in public.

jallamann said:

...it's safer to place that order than to pull the card out of your wallet in public.

Especially in Surrey. Plastic all the way baby :)

Of course, how dependent are you on strafe-jumping-left? If it's not an integral part of your tactic I wouldn't worry, otherwise you're FUBARed. And as for changing config, if you were ever a keyboarder switching to mouse, changing your setup should be no prob ;)