Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Dweller

Need help w/ custom weapons in DB

Shadow Dweller said:

Does anyone know how to make custom weapons and use them in Doom Builder?

Two ways:

1. Dehacked
2. Decorate (Requires Zdoom 96x)

Making weapons from scratch might be a little complicated for a newbie, so I'd suggest using the weapons resource wad (Decorate):

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13852

You also need XWE to put in the Dehacked or Decorate lumps, which can be made with notepad. Just open up Notepad, Do all the scripting shit with it, and then save it as a .lmp file. Then put it into the wad via XWE.

I'd suggest you talk to Xaser about custom weapons too. He makes some pretty cool weapons.

for custom weapons either edit the original doom weapons or add new ones.

The easiest way to create "custom" weapons is to replace the original doom images of a weapon with your own images. For example you could replace the chaingun images with images of a AK47.
This will only change the look of the weapon not the behaviour of the weapon.

To change the behaviour you could use Dehacked.

The methodes above are used to alter the original doom weapons. If you want to add completely new weapons you would have to use Decorate. The only downside with decorate is that these new weapons will only work with Zdoom 96x.

I suggest using decorate instead of dehacked though. Unless of course you want your weapons to be used in other source ports than zdoom aswell.

here's a tutorial for making such a decorate file:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_new_weapons

you can write the decorate lump in notepad and put it inside your wad using XWE.
download XWE: ftp://drsleep@server1.thefourwinds.net/data/xwe.zip

the only reason why i want Dehacked is because i don't have ZDoom, and i don't want all kinds of doom ports in my computer, as they might interfere with each other, being that they are related to the same game. besides i am already trying to figure out Doom Legacy, i don't want to deal with another port too.

Shadow Dweller said:

the only reason why i want Dehacked is because i don't have ZDoom, and i don't want all kinds of doom ports in my computer, as they might interfere with each other, being that they are related to the same game. besides i am already trying to figure out Doom Legacy, i don't want to deal with another port too.

Dehacked isn't a program. It's built into MOST source port engines. But I'd seriously suggest you just download Zdoom 96x and make the weapons with that. Dehacked is a bit complicated because you usually have to sacrifice frames of other enemies just to make the frame rate for that weapon decent.

Or you could just do what scientist said and replace the frames of the exsisting weapons with new ones. The only problem with that is that the pick up message will be the same. Say you replaced the Chaingun's sprite with an M16 sprite. When the player picks the M16 up, it will still say "You got the Chaingun!"

Though i still have my doubts, i will download ZDoom. however, don't be surprized if i come back wondering how it works. but if that is what it takes, so be it. I will also try Decorate, but usually i find the most complex editing software gets me what i want.

These pick up messages, can they be altered or turned off?

Shadow Dweller said:

Though i still have my doubts, i will download ZDoom.

Don't. =) ZDoom is amazingly powerful, and extends the Doom engine tremendously. ZDoom can do awesome things, including making new weapons like you want.

Shadow Dweller said:

These pick up messages, can they be altered or turned off?

Pick up messages (and texts between episodes) can be altered using a dehacked lump.

Well, it's been a while since I used DEHACKED (I don't like it). But here's how it's done:

Well, first of I didn't actually use dehacked I used "WhackEd2" which is the windows version of dehacked. It's also much easier to work with.

-so install whacked2
-run it
-click "strings"
-find the string you want to replace. For instance "picked up a clip"
-type your own text
-click file - save as and save your file as "dehacked.deh"

-then open your wad file in XWE
-click "load"
-load your "dehacked.deh" into your wad.

your dehacked file actually needs to be called "dehacked" for it to work.

Now when you run your wad in doom and you pick up a clip it will display your custom message.

DDF is the EDGE method for creating advanced effects, modding weapons, etc. etc. It's weapon modding capabilities are some of the best out there - just check out Immoral Conduct.

WhackEd2 is here. Always check the Editors and Utilities page on Doomworld if you're looking for a specific editor (or utility, surprise surprise), it'll probably be there.

Also, can I strongly recommend you use a source port's weapon editing capabilities? A lot more is possible with any one of them than with DeHackEd.

If you use dehacked or Whacked2 the wad will be vanilla doom compatible meaning you can use your wad with all or without a source port.

Using decorate will have your wad only work with zdoom 96x and using DDF only with EDGE.

So if you want to make a simple weapon replacement it's probably better to use whacked2 since this way you can use your wad in zdoom, edge and any other port.

If you're making some really complicated new weapons whacked2 probably can't do it and you'll have to choose a source port.

The possibilities of whacked2 are limited but with clever use you can make stuff like grenades, landmines, timebombs and other "complex" weapons.

(But of course making such weapons with decorate would be much easier to do.)

My point is: if you want to make simple new weapons use whacked2 for really complex weapons choose a source port.

Thanks. if i should need more help in the future i will continue to post

in response to Scientist's last message: i am looking to make some complex weapons, like advanced versions of the BFG or rocket launcher, etc.
i realize complexity leads to difficulty, but i will try to get through it the best i can. for these source ports i may need a manual so i know what i am doing. as a last resort i will download whacked2 in case the other ports are too difficult.

I think you should hold off a bit before you add new weapons dude. Start with mapping first then work your way up. Even some of our more experienced wad makers who have made the top 100 wads of all time (B.P.D.R.) still don't know how to use Dehacked or Decorate.
Hell, I can't even do all that fancy Dehacked shit!

it isn't the scripting that bothers me, as i have been able to write successful programs for a robot. a computer isn't much different, when you break it down it is just if-then statements. making the weapon is the toughest part for me.

i recently found NmN's "new weapon tutorial". he used photoshop and XWE. i drew out the weapon and i really wasn't too impressed. the creation of the frame was fine, i just had problems coloring it. i think it'd be easier to make a katana as a first weapon.

Or Eternity has EDF of course, which is (i think) pretty much the same as DDF but it is "backwards compatible" with Dehacked patches (Most ports support dehacked, so if you are making a generic map its best to stick with that. Making weapons shoot faster and enemies stronger is pretty easy with it, you'll be able to learn advanced effects in time, the Immoral Conduct guy has also done some Dehacked work in his time, and its great! fireball-throwing gargoyles, sniper rifles, a psychic enemy that can lift you into the air from a distance...), also i imagine EDF's language is more complicated, one of the main complaints about DDF is that it is "Ugly", but those complaints usually come from programmers, normal people call it "Easy to use"

...And didnt Vavoom have its own DDF-esque system too. Pity nobody uses it any more, the expandability of EDGE with the graphics of Jdoom, i wonder why it never caught on

so dehacked can make weapons and monsters?

hmmmm, maybe i can put that "entity" sketch of mine to good use. just for something to do. i don't think i'll use it in a .WAD though. just sprites and avatars for now.

i'll try dehacked (or its' windows version) first, and experiment with it and see what i can do before i go too crazy with thoughts.

the katana is my first priority in this topic, but i might not be able to work on it until i finish adjusting my map to CC3 standards.

Shadow Dweller said:

so dehacked can make weapons and monsters?

Sort of, but not exactly. What it allows you to do is modify existing thing states. You can certainly make some wild and wierd shit, but not without removing things already in the game. Although I don't see why you wouldn't just use decorate or DDF or EDF or whatever. Dehacked use, for zdoom, is obsolete with decorate.

very well, i'll try decorate, dehacked, DDF, and EDF; and which ever
one i like best or get along with best i'll continue to use.

although, as i said before, don't be surprised if i'm back here wondering how they work.

Ok, i tried all four with the exception of EDF which i haven't got to yet. i tried this decorate program and got a monster resource wad which i could do little to nothing with. i tried DDF but still to no avail( same as decorate).

whacked2 would probably be useful if i knew what i was doing. if it came with an instruction guide of some kind, that would be great.

it seems that i'll be doing some source port hunting when the sun rises...