Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Your pet peeves of Doom!

What are some things that just genuinely annoy you, whether it be things that mappers do, things in the default game, or just anything that makes you go "WHY THE FUCK DOES THAT HAPPEN JESUS I HATE IT!"

Here's a few of mine:

• Opening a door, seeing something dangerous inside, then trying to close the door back and realizing it only opens. Not very pleasant when you've got rockets coming at you.
  • Getting bit by a demon when I am using the chainsaw on it. You'd think with a low pain threshold, it'd have no chance.
  • Running into rather cramped room, then powerful monsters emerge from the floor/walls and then attempting to back out and realizing a door/wall/pillar came up and you cannot escape. Not to bad in an arena, but in a cramped place, it leaves no room for dodging.
  • Getting killed by lost souls. 'Nuff said.
  • Somehow getting hit by every pellet of a shotgun attack, even from extreme distances.
  • When it seems to take a ridiculous amount of ammo to kill normal monsters. (e.g. four berserk punches for a demon. That's just retarded.)
  • Trying to Tyson a revenant. I hate this because I get close so it will punch, then I'll hit it and backpedal so it's punch will miss, but then it will immediately rocket me. Ouch.
  • Getting hit by a fireball that I just avoided. (i.e. dodging a fireball and then backing right into it.)
  • Getting stuck on scenery when I'm trying to avoid heavy projectiles.
  • Getting killed by something extremely weak after killing something MUCH more devastating.
  • When a mapper starts you off with like 3 imps facing you and no good weapons or powerups nearby.
  • Firing the plasma rifle with many sound channels activated can be grating at times...
  • When a slow crusher trap/lava pit with no way out trap isn't obvious and you wander right into it. That is absolutely annoying.
  • When you are forced to sit through a scripted cutscene that crawls along.
  • Activating some kind of scrpit, and then suddenly exploding. I then realize I was standing next to a wall that was scripted to explode.
  • Using a piss-poor weapon on something powerful, then once it's dead, you find a super good weapon that you could have used.
  • When the key "bars" on the sides of doors and switches aren't used for there inteded purpsose, i.e. indicating that the door/switch needs that key. Pcorf tends to use them as a "pressing this switch will reveal this key" indicator.
  • Infinitely tall monsters.
  • When autoaim doesn't shoot at what I want it to shoot.
Just to name a few...

-When your screen turns red because of three chaingunners raping you from sniping positions, this is particulary annoying when you're playing a map without save games and you die before pausing the game to enter some cheat to save you.
-Where there's an archvile behind a fake wall and you don't know where the fire spell comes from, so you run to cover only to find that the pilar/wall you choosed doesn't block the archvile sight.
-When you're playing a map without saving and then you fall in one of these almost imposible to avoid crushers that are activated just when you're under them and kill you in the first crush.
-Maps with too much hit-scan monsters and little health.
-Having more than enough cells and both the BFG and Plasma Gun, when the map doesn't require them (yeah you aren't forced to use them, you could even waste all the cells, yet it's not the same)
-When you run out of ammo, specialy if you tried to save it.
-Archvile ressurecting a Baron when there's a lack of ammo.
-The same Icon of Sin at the end of most megawads.

• When enemies can shoot you through things you can't see through, especially when you should be able to (perfect example: TNT map 21)
  • Blowing yourself up with a rocket against a detail sprite such as an old tree trunk or something that didn't visibly appear to be in the way of the rocket
  • Really cryptic levels (perfect example: Daedalus)
  • Wads that are all about rape rape rape (perfect example: Hell Revealed 2)

-Weapon wads that try to make weapons that are the exact same as the old ones sound stronger or cooler by using crappy DeHaCked messages.
(ex. ZOMG U GET TEH g384738X9X93 PLASUMA RYFUL!! ITZ TEH KOOLEST WEPUN EVAR!!!!)
I'm sure Daniel knows what I'm talking about...

-Overly detailed levels where the "detail" consists of EXTREMELY cramped hallways filled with computers, lights, and pillars that make movement nearly impossible.

-Zdaemon coop servers with HR2 and weapons and items respawn turned off. Fighting a cyberdemon with 50 pistol rounds over and over again until it dies 2 hours later is not my idea of fun.

-Zdaemon DM servers that play nothing but Dwango 5, map07 or 01. Why anyone would want to play the same level over and over again I don't know.

-"Coop" wads that consist of thousands of monsters in 1 room. Why don't these people just use Dehacked to make the monsters stronger?

When my teammates stand in front of me when im using rockets
When my teammates rush through a map
when my teammates shoot me with a plasmagun when fighting a cyber and i cant back out.

Th0r said:

when my teammates shoot me with a plasmagun when fighting a cyber and i cant back out.

QFT! That and teammates shoot you when near a cliff. Fuckin' assholes.

Th0r said:

The first one can be solved by simply not firing the Rocket Launcher non stop. Fire once, look around and make sure noone is sneaking up on you, then fire again.

The second: Just wait, that guy will eventually die.

Doesn't even happen if I'm using it non stop, ill shoot once and he will magically be there.

Th0r said:

Well, it's annoying when you're closing in on monsters with your Plasma gun or SSG and someone on the rear starts spamming Rockets, shoving you into the monsters' jaws. What I do then is start wiggling back and forth till that guy behind me blows up on his own Rocket. (All this on a game with friendly fire damage turned on, or I'd just be dead from the Rockets.)

That weak-ass default chaingun sound. The shotgun too, but less so than the chaingun.

Probably the thing about doom that bothers me the most is when you get hit pretty hard and the screen turns red. Then it's impossible to see where you're going for the next second or so. It's also annoying when you use a ssg and most of the pellets miss because of doom physics. Well you can still shoot monsters from the right angle to prevent that from happening but it's still annoying.

-Forgetting that some switches need to be shot.
-Leaving a map with 150 health and nearly full ammo.
-Fighting a really tough battle, usually with alot of monsters and finding an invulnerable around the corner, which is now useless with rest of the map alot easier.
-Finding lots of rockets and cells, and fighting pretty tough monsters throughout level, with shells and bullets. Then after beating map watching a demo and there is a secret close to the start with the big guns.
-Iwads/megawads with endings too easy.
-Its sad how some good maps have only easy monsters. I play in UV only and working through some maps I rarely see monsters that will take more than 1 SSG shot. I just played one and was given a plasma gun right before exit, nothing left to kill. On this same map I didnt even bother to figure out how to get the blue armor, megasphere, didnt need them. I walked past the invisible, thought I might need it for later. A "master level" that has the hardest monster a pain elemental is pretty lame.

-being thrown into darkness with the thought of something much larger than you in the same area.
-being damaged (or killed) by your own rockets
-blowing up a barrel and having one next to it come flying across the room and blowing you up.
-being low on health, when suddenly you are ambushed by seemingly endless numbers of monsters
-a power outage just as things are getting good
-dying within the same room as the exit
-Mancubi and their stupid fireballs
-especially when you don't have a good weapon
-being trapped by monsters, walls, pits; etc
-in fact, being trapped period, especially by accident
-the cat running across the keyboard while your in the middle of a battle

EDIT: Better yet, when the cat stands in front of the moniter so you can't see what's coming

- Inescapable lava/acid pits! No wad should have these!
- Accidentally picking some ammo up when you don't need it (such as grabbing an entire box of shells when you already have 49).
- Wads that are so scarce on ammo that you end up having to punch your way through a crowd with no beserk, or simply avoid the enemies as best you can until you can grab some ammo.
- Getting stuck in a level for hours until you find that one lone switch or button that was hidden amongst the walls and decor.
- Trying to get the hell away from an enemy (or dodge a projectile) in a cramped area, only to get temporarily stuck next to a "sticky" wall or piece of architecture.
- When wad authors put platformer-style jumping puzzles in zdoom/gzdoom.
- Being ripped to shreds by packs of chaingunners, especially from a distance.
- When authors put invulnerability spheres, invsibility spheres, beserks, radiation suits or light amplificaton goggles towards or at the end of the level, where they're completely useless at that point
- Having to grab a soulsphere or megasphere when it would be more advantageous later because the area gets closed off after grabbing it.
- When maps contain intricate, obssessive details but aren't much fun to play.
- Maps that are nicely designed but have extremely shitty sprites/textures.
- Taking a lot of damage at once and being blinded by red, so much that you can't see what you're doing and end up getting killed.
- Scripted dialogue in a wad that's supposed to be serious, but contains lots of glaring errors and internet shorthand (i.e. the Cyberdemon saying "ROFL" in Claustrophobia)
- Inappropriate, retarded music. I dunno why authors think music from the Matrix soundtrack, anime shit and techno belongs in Doom.
- "Joke" wads, which are usually not even remotely funny, and almost always have piss-poor level design.
- No multiplayer mode in Doom 64!

Wow, that's a big list. These are minor things overall though, as I've learned to deal with them.

-Killing things with just a pistol. There's just something about the pistol I don't like.

GoatLord said:

- Accidentally picking some ammo up when you don't need it (such as grabbing an entire box of shells when you already have 49).

Equally annoying is being forced to box of shells, etc when you are practically full. In some cases you can go around and look for places to use up the extra ammo, but sometimes you are forced to waste 19 shells.

GoatLord said:

- When wad authors put platformer-style jumping puzzles in zdoom/gzdoom.

I hate jumping puzzles too. Hopefully the areas in my mod that require jumping aren't annoying. They don't annoy me even though I hate the things.

The chaingun. To me it just doesn't seem that powerful. When you switch up from the super shotgun, you should expect a more powerful weapon but the chaingun seems to be a step down. I only use it against former humans and imps because you're better off using something else if you've got it.

Someone should make a wad that replaces the appearance of the chaingun with that of an SMG, because that's all it essentially is in the Doom game. The Quake 2 chaingun actually works sort of like one. I wonder if there have ever been any wads featuring realistic renderings of the chaingun?

Wow, so many of these really hit the nail on the head. In particular:

- Firing the BFG or rocket launcher when you are standing just behind the threshold of a door . . . only to have the door close at the worst possible moment.

- Being so used to dodging slow projectiles that you actually swerve into them when the enemy's aim is hampered due to the effects of an invisisibiliy orb.

- Being too far away to hit sniping shotgunners and chaingunners who can still make short work of you.

- Shooting at a barrel and killing a zombie man you were hoping would be gibbed instead, and then having nothing else to lure toward it.

- Switch hunts
- Being surrounded by 30 Revenants or so in a confined space
- Trying to move and something getting in my way
- Picking up ammo, health, or armor when I don't need it
- Finding the backpack at the end of an hour long map
- Being forced to pick up a powerup (soulsphere, etc.) when it could be useful later
- Convoluted jumping or thin ledge (map 24) puzzles that force you to start over if you make even the tiniest mistake
- Maps that give you a really cool new weapon, but only enough ammo for about three shots
- Finding a secret megasphere only to be ambushed by tons of monsters and by the time you finish killing them all, you're in worse shape than before you picked the item up
- Railgun zombies
- Seeing an invulnerability and the only way to get it is to battle past the endless hordes of monsters guarding it
- Enemies with a hidden Arch-Vile nearby constantly reviving them
- Being stuck in an open area with nowhere to dodge Revenant missiles(mock 2 map 40)
- The mouse batteries dying at the worst possible moment
- Having to use IDMUS because the music is so annoying
- Ending up using more ammo on a barrel to kill enemies than you normally would by just shooting them

Ichor said:

- The mouse batteries dying at the worst possible moment

Goddamn optical mice use so much juice! And before you say it, I hate mouse cords more than I hate changing batteries.

- Having to use IDMUS because the music is so annoying

I loathe the music of MAP01 nowadays because so many single level wads are on that slot and don't provide new music.

-having to use more than 2 SSG blasts to kill a caco or more than 3 for a mancubus. Such a waste of ammo because I'm too lazy to finish them off with the chaingun...

surviving a large demon horde only to be capped by a zombieman from far away. #)!%$@#%&@#)!!!!

Annoying things?

-Facing the damned cyberdemon in unexpecting stances (eg 2002ado e3m3) thus dying;
-Having to kill the cyberdemon with the goddam slow SSG, IT'S BORING;
-Losing to the former sergeants;
-Being trapped by behind and suffering badly from an unavoidable revenant rocket;
-The poor endings of custom E3 or E4 pwads, with a single spider mastermind in them and LOTS of cells or BFGs;
-Playing orig. DOOM 1 again and knowing it too well;
-Playing orig. DOOM 2 again and being startled by its poorly designed maps;
-Wasting too much time with own-made E3M8 pwads and super-hard spider masterminds;
-Wasting far too much time with Starwars DOOM;
-Watching reviewers and common players think the SS Nazis in DOOM 2 to be poor monster placement;
-Stupid overdetailed gameplayless maps (just a presumption, don't get askin' me yet)

chopkinsca said:

-Killing things with just a pistol. There's just something about the pistol I don't like.

I can pin this one down: It's slow rate of fire coupled with fairly weak firepower and low accuracy after the first shot.

- I'd have to say Dumb asses who some how manage to grab 99.9% of the items in an entire map (coop) and then get killed by some weak enemy, leaving nothing left to fight the big bad ass monsters

-Really pathetic attempts at Serious Sam style combat. There's more to it then just spawning some monsters and items people!

-Maps that say they have coop support, but are screwed if someone dies in a trap
-Large maps that don't have weapon pop-ups on coop, or open-close key doors that make that death at the end a half hour adventure to grab everything again, just to be killed the moment you run in the room by crossfire.
-Pain Elementals on -fast
-Pain Elementals
-Music that sounds like it's from the Teletubbies
-Arch-viles that apparantly don't have a painchance :p
-People that cram tons of detail in a hallway, but don't impas. line the sides

Darkfyre said:

-Maps that say they have coop support, but are screwed if someone dies in a trap
-Large maps that don't have weapon pop-ups on coop, or open-close key doors that make that death at the end a half hour adventure to grab everything again, just to be killed the moment you run in the room by crossfire.
-Pain Elementals on -fast
-Pain Elementals
-Music that sounds like it's from the Teletubbies
-Arch-viles that apparantly don't have a painchance :p
-People that cram tons of detail in a hallway, but don't impas. line the sides

Heh, pain elementals are possibly the crappiest Doom enemy in my opinion. You should try to force them into a corner, and stand right next to them as you kill them so that the lost souls die when they spawn.

Craigs said:

Heh, pain elementals are possibly the crappiest Doom enemy in my opinion. You should try to force them into a corner, and stand right next to them as you kill them so that the lost souls die when they spawn.

Ohh, I forgot one...
-Mappers that make you fight a Pain Elemental with a pistol

And ya that's what I usually do, but it still doesn't help the suck factor :p especially if there's more than just the PE in the battle.

Ya and the worst part is, after the pain elementals go down, they spawn, not one, not two, but three dreaded lost soul. My next hated enemy. Pain elementals/Lost souls are ammo eaters.