Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bjh13

Doom on an Intel based Mac

I recently purchased an intel based iMac, but unfortunately there do not seem to be any Doom ports for it. In fact, I can only find 2 builds of Doom that even support OS X. Doomsday was one of my favorites on the PC, does anyone know if there are any plans for a universal binary or intel binary for it? Better yet, I'll compile it myself if someone has some basic instructions on how to set up the build environment, since I have not had any luck yet. Any help would be really appreciated, having a computer without running Doom feels kind of... empty.

Benjamin Handelman

PrBoom should run in Rosetta, but thanks to the new SDL, in the next version we have a universal build going.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Alternatively you could install Windows on it ;)

OR LINUX

Neil said:

PrBoom should run in Rosetta, but thanks to the new SDL, in the next version we have a universal build going.

I'd be very suprised if there wasn't a MacIntel SDL library already built, and building prboom on mac os should be trivial.

Yes, the brand-new SDL and SDL_mixer are built universally, so that allows us to build PrBoom univerally.

PrBoom does not run under Rosetta. At least on my system it doesn't. I will try to build it tonight, hopefully it goes ok.

Doomsday does run under Rosetta, at a decent framerate (45-80 fps at 1680x1050) but because it's rosetta it takes quite some time to open and eats more resources then I like. However, it works, so I don't want to complain, it still loads faster than the original did in 1993 on my PC, so I can live with it. Hopefully I can get PrBoom to build, as it would be nice to have a native binary with support for Boom. Thanks for all the help.

Well if you want to build it for yourself from the subversion repository, get yourself Xcode 2.2, Rake, and deutex.

Well, compile failed for PrBoom. I was able to get through ./configure just fine with no problems, when I ran make I errored out.

/var/tmp//ccuYY9ug.s:251:operands given don't match any known 386 instruction
/var/tmp//ccuYY9ug.s:4111:operands given don't match any known 386 instruction
/var/tmp//ccuYY9ug.s:4523:operands given don't match any known 386 instruction

I have all three necesary sdl libraries, and deutex and rake installed. Any hints?

You shouldn't have used the autoconf garbage.

Do this

1. Install the SDL frameworks to /Library/Frameworks

2. Read src/MAC/Rakefile and ensure your deutex and wad folder locations are set correctly.

3. cd src; rake -f MAC/Rakefile

And you should be done.

Oh, and make sure that before you do this, you clean up all the files the autoconf stuff generated, particularly any stray copies of config.h

WOOHOO!! Compiled perfectly. I now have a universal binary of PrBoom, and it seems to work perfectly. Well, mostly, it won't let me set the resolution to 1680x1050, just refuses to open, I have to settle with 1344x840. Granted, it looks terrible when you set the resolution that high. Thanks for all the help.