Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

Stronghold - The Journey Continues...

Months have passed since I told you any news about my project Stronghold, but this doesn't mean that nothing has happened during that time: Stronghold is still alive and under heavy developement, and now you will get what you deserve ;)

Introduction
Stronghold is a modification for DOOM2 that takes the full advantage of all the latest GZDoom features (not only effects, also script stuffage) and is a combination of Unreal Tournaments Assault Mode and its Invasion Mode. To be clearer: As a player, it is your job do defend your Stronghold (UAC Bases, Portals or other things) agains the hordes of hell. The assault of these monsters are seperated in waves, each harder and more difficult than its precessor. But to make the defenders job not that hard, he gets supplies in form of health, ammo, weapons and other goodies brought in. Simple concept, isn't it? :)

Special Features
Multiplayer Support - For up to 8 Players in Coop. Defend Strongholds with your friends online against the hordes. But beware, the more players join, the more monsters (also ammo & supplies) were spawned to keep the difficulty!
Difficulty Settings - Are Implemented, harder means, more monsters, less ammo and other changes!
Mission Additions -Fighting one wave after another could become boring, but sometimes (depending on the map), special things tend to happen, which is done with certain scripts after certain waves to keep the fights interesting and surprising!
New Monsters - Simple Doom monsters might be boring, so Hell sends in new reinforcements, faster monsters, ones that are harder to kill so things are getting almost impossible for you! Hey, it's Hell!
New Weapons & Goodies - New monsters make up for new weapons and goodies. Place mines around your base, place automatic machine guns as defense, call marine reinforcements, use stationary weapons (heavy machine guns)!
New Music - Exciting Music by Lexus Alyus, fully digitally mastered, that fits perfect to the desperate situation!
...and many many other surprises!

The Maps
We will have something between 12 and 20 maps for you and the new game mode, but we'd be happy to have some more talented mappers in our team who could help us with that, so if you are interested, send us a demo map or a demo room that show of your skills if you want to apply! New Talents are always welcome and the script is not that complicated to use, simple copy n paste ;)

Screenshots
Wanna taste some candy?

(MAP02 - "Too Young To Defend")

(MAP04 - "Facing Worlds")

(MAP13 - "Tunnel Defense")
...more coming soon!

Release of the Script / Custom Wads
We will release the script itself after the release of the final version of Stronghold so just don't even ask for it! But be glad, because the script is well documented and very easy to work with, so if you are interested to create your own custom STRONGHOLD scripts, feel free to do so, we strongly support this :)

Final Words
This is all for now, so if you have ideas, suggestions, comments, or anything else, just tell us! :)

Yours
Sincerely, Daniel

Im disgusted by this, and by disgusted, I mean impressed and exited in a non sexual way. Im not sure if you said this somewere else, but will there be new monsters/weapons? Not a gaggle of them to turn it into half a weapons mod

oh wonderful, I remember this implemented in CUBE to make deathmatch wads playable in SP... now in doom? ohshi, this sounds like a recipe for win. let's hope there's places to hide.

O_o these look great Torm.

I won't say im gonna join but im going to "try" to make something for this.
So you map in doom in hexen format, and the idea is to make an structure surrounded by some landmass?
I still have your demo with the recource file so im going to use those textures thats ok right.

@ZegVok - Read the text ;) New weapons AND new monsters ;)

@dutch - You are still welcome to join the team and gather some more information. Its by far more than only landmass and an UAC installation!

@Csonicgo - Not exactly the same, as in Stronghold, monsters have a route to go and a aim to attack (which you have to defend!) :)

Yeah I would't like to join but im not familiar with what Gzdoom can do.
So im not sure if my skills are up for it, thats why id like to try some stuff on my own first.

This is the project I've been waiting to hear about!

dutch devil said:

Yeah I would't like to join but im not familiar with what Gzdoom can do.
So im not sure if my skills are up for it, thats why id like to try some stuff on my own first.

If you are familiar with Zdoom, you'll have no problems with GZdoom. Even then, it isn't required to use gzdoom features, my map doesn't.

Is this good? its an starting room, im planning to make some sort of bunker.
Dunno if I keep the green bricks I made this in a few hours, some others things might change also.

Is there an limit to the ammount of detail, id like to use alot of it :)

dutch devil said:

Is there an limit to the ammount of detail, id like to use alot of it :)

What makes you think that? Do whatever you feel is right for your map.

Lizardcommando said:

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wish there was something like this for Skulltag.

... ;)

@dutch - Looks good, so if you want to join, tell me!

It looks good so far, but from the sound of it, it might become repetitive. Rather then just having the player fight wave after wave of enemies, you should have him complete objectives as well. You've got to make every fight seem unique and new. One example could be trying to keep a damaged ship from falling apart by trying to do as many quick repairs as possible while defending it from enemies who are trying to destroy it. That facing worlds map looks promising. You could have the level change as the map progresses. Have parts of the ground give way as the battle progresses. Try to make each level have it's own unique challanges. Earthquakes, Cave ins, explosions, storms, fires, everything! You've got enough detail, so work on the most important factor: gameplay.

Facing Worlds looks like it could do well with a crumbling ground. Say, for every wave you successfully fight off, an outer section of the asteroid is destroyed until the building finally starts falling apart - and then you have to fight off flying monsters from a relatively small patch of ground with a few computer consoles to take cover behind.

WildWeasel said:

Facing Worlds looks like it could do well with a crumbling ground. Say, for every wave you successfully fight off, an outer section of the asteroid is destroyed until the building finally starts falling apart - and then you have to fight off flying monsters from a relatively small patch of ground with a few computer consoles to take cover behind.

That's kinda what I said, but I think it would be better if it altered the gameplay a bit more then what you're thinking.

Sounds very fun, from some time ago I had the idea of recreating the invasions in Final DOOM:
-The mass of demons spawing from the portal and marines strategicaly placed butchering them all.
-The rain of demons from the bio-mechano-magical ship
-The invasion from the ring of hell-gates surrounding the Congo base.

Some structures that shoot missiles if the player press a switch, camaras with some kind of defense, switchs that close some doors but open others, friendly marines, a place where you can activate sentry-drones, and what not, I wish I had more time.

As well as defending small bunkers from loads of monsters, you could also have a level like in Aliens where you have to defend a room (or series of rooms) in a much larger building from relentless attacks, say the outer defences have fallen and monsters are pouring into the base, you have to keep the room sealed off (not easy as it has loads of hallways and air vents leading into it, plus as you go along monsters start making thier own entrances) and protect a marine who is busy trying to break the code on a safe containing a secret weapon, when he does crack it (conveinently just after the last wave) you are teleported out with the item, just as a million barons stomp into the room

Graf Zahl said:

Pointless stupid picture of the year?

You missed the funney.

Some nice looking screenshots, though to be honest I think the fiddly extra details take away more than they add. For example, I reckon the first shot would look better without those random silly fiddly vine textures attached to the walls of the building (or are they meant to be windows?).

And really, with 3d previews in modern editors, there's no excuse for adding detail to walls which then badly cut up the existing wall textures. If you raised those indented computer panels in shot 3 by 8 units, and shifted them right a bit too (again by maybe 8 units?), they would look a lot better as they would tesselate properly with the starg3 texture.

The same thing goes for the height and width of the hallways in the same shot.

I remember Cyb making a map based off the lord of the rings that was exactly this premise.. And wow, it was sooo much fun.. I'm not a huge lord of the rings fan, but it was like millions of enemies sieging a castle, and they came at you in waves.

I can't wait to try this. Good-luck with it Torm.

I'm looking forward to this. If it works out really well. Other mappers might pick up the idea and it'll become a standard like ctf and team dm=)
I'm gonna check out that lord of the ring wad, cause i really think doom lends it self to this kind of gameplay.
PS: hurry up with TNT4=)