Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

RtCW any good?

i started playing it a couple o years back but once i got out of the castle, down the cable car and through the village it became a zombie fight in underground caves. which i thought sucked, so stopped playing. does it go back to nazis (enjoy!) or just turn into a zombie fest (yawn!)?

cycloid said:

i started playing it a couple o years back but once i got out of the castle, down the cable car and through the village it became a zombie fight in underground caves. which i thought sucked, so stopped playing. does it go back to nazis (enjoy!) or just turn into a zombie fest (yawn!)?

It goes back to fighting primarily Nazis.

Yeah, but scantily clad female ninja-nazis and (again scantily clad) black magic witches. :P Oh yeah, and nazi-abomination experiments...

OK, so there weren't that many of them, but it is a silly game. I thought the underground tomb/zombie areas were actually pretty well done and almost creepy. However, I found the whole nazi/zombie/black magic thing didn't really work and, especially against the pretty realistically rendered backgrounds, just felt silly most of the time. However, I know that's kind of what the original W3D was about so meh! I enjoyed MoHAA more.

As an aside, I've noticed that, increasingly, games feel the need to include some ninja-like stealth/fast moving/athletic enemy to spice things up. In fear they even had invisibility suits and could climb walls. Those kind of enemies just piss me off because they're such gamer-fan-boi wankfest material. "Oh wouldn't it be kewl if we had like some ninja dude." "Heh, yeah, stealth ninjas rock." Puh-lease!:rolleyes:

I didn't really pay attention to the story. It kept well in touch with it's daddy Wolf3d as far as I am concerned. And the gameplay was quite varied and fun.

I had fun with it, but it's not that great. They had some really, really bad parts...

Like when that scientist introduces you to this one mutant/machine boss, Uber Soldat.

He's like, "Uber Soldat! The Super Soldier!" As if you didn't already know what that meant, and as if a German scientist would be speaking to you in English in the first place.

I really hate garbage like that. :/

It's a fun FPS that doesn't try to be overly realistic about the setting, which is rare when it comes to WWII shooters. I enjoyed most of the things that Enjay mentioned as silly. IMO it also succeds at making the more Half-Life inspired locations and robotic enemies seem to be made using technology that was available during the war.

Back when I played it for the first time, I proceeded to play it for the second and third time without any breaks in-between :P

@Enjay: Scantily clad my ass :P Those tight leather outfits didn't show any skin at all :P

Between the cheesy German accents (mixed between actual German and English) and crazy action scenes, you have to realize that this game tries more to be like a movie than a realistic-style game. Also, LOL the fat lady leading all the hot Nazi elite women.

P.S. I loved the X Labs and the chaingun. Those are enough to make the game pretty damn neat.

RtCW was fantastic, and the best thing out at its time of release (holidays 2001) and i even bought the limited ed. "tin" and the poplularity of enemy territory ensues to this day (though i dont play that myself) i load up rtcw a couple times each year, sometimes i play thru the whole thing again. by the way, todd hollenshead (id) is a fan of ET. sometimes i think that a lot of people's first play of this game had just come recently, or in the last year or so after picking it up from the "bargain bin" and i would imagine there opinion to be slightly "skewed" at best, but to each his own..

RtCW was a real treat for me. It felt like the original Wolf was intended to be. It was just straight out wacky. Like the original it had Zombies, odd Nazis creations, black magic, and a few extra oddities to keep up the flavor and at the same time look realistic and feel like an actual Nazis atmosphere. I just wish they would have concentrated on cyborgs more like the original too. I also like Xbox's extra egypt maps.

My play-through of it four years ago led me to the opinion of it being equivalent to a rather cheesy but fun action movie. I don't know if that opinion would hold these days.

The end boss is weak sauce. I beat it on first try without even bloody trying. When all you have to do is circle strafe and search for cover every few seconds, your enemy is not difficult enough. I suppose aesthetically it was a nice enough game for 2001, but gameplay wise it's your standard shooter.

Belial said:

@Enjay: Scantily clad my ass :P Those tight leather outfits didn't show any skin at all :P

Your ass is scantily clad?... Oh, I see what you mean. ;) I guess you didn't download and install the mod I did then. ;)

I thought Wolf 3 was OK when I played through 2/3 of it five years ago. Still, it doesn't hold a candle to Wolf 2 in terms of innovation.

Sidenote: I'd like to see a game that's both technically groundbreaking AND an amazing game. I haven't seen one of those in about 12 years.

I enjoyed it ive finished the game twice on the hardest skill setting and still it was easy.
Kinda dumb that those germans talk english with an german accent and you can't shoot with your mauser from your shoulder kinda silly.

But the story was nice it was one of the things that kept me interested in it.
And at least bodies didn't dissapear like with doom3.

I enjoyed it, but I have the Xbox one. Not sure if the differences are big between the Xbox and PC one.

DoomDan said:

I enjoyed it, but I have the Xbox one. Not sure if the differences are big between the Xbox and PC one.

The xbox version had coop, and the PC version did not :'(

Meh, The coop mode in the xbox one was pretty crappy anyway. The framerate was terrible and you can only play the levels you beat in single player mode.

i enjoyed it up until the final boss, i dunno i always get up to him and lose interest. whatever, i actually start losing interest once the zombies are introduced, but i force myself to keep going.

Decent game. I agree about the last boss... being in the range of the Uber Soldat's tesla gun was just brutal, but then Himmler's plan comes to fruition and he finally resurrects Heinrich I... only for him to be a cakewalk by comparison. Oops. ;)

sargebaldy said:

I didn't care for it. And it didn't remind me in the least of the original.

How could it. The original was basicly an interctive verion of Windows 3D Maze Screensaver.