Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How often do you save?

I think the frequency of your game saves is something of a sign of your skill. Used to, when I first go into Dooming, I'd save all the time. Nowdays, if it's a moderate to large sized level, I usually save no more than 3-5 times in a single level. If it's something really crazy like Dues Volt or Alien Vendetta, I'll save more often, but I find on average that it's about 3-5 times a level.

If I die and haven't saved in the last 3 minutes, bam, quit. Usually wads these days suck too much to play through parts I've already played.

On good wads or the IWADS I'll save once every 4 minutes or so.

After any little modification to my lumps and before any test run. You got to be extremely careful when working with xwe as anything you do updates the wad in realtime. Fortunatly, it has a nice autosave feature.

Map building wise, i save everytime i test a map. Im quite a proficient mapper, and having experienced loosing some of the best wads the world will never see, i can say that saving constantly is important.

I'd save more often if I worked for Greenpeace or if I were a doctor.

i have a pretty quick comp by the way, so saving that often is not a problem for me lol. I know how tedious it is for someone with a pentium II 233mhz to save as often as i do is.

When I play megawads (excluding the IWADs) I try to remember to save at the end of each level as a precautionary measure, though on levels I don't have at least a bit of difficulty with I tend to forget. The only other WAD I do this on is Deus Vult. In general I ignore saving; I don't consider it cheating but I also don't find it useful for a player of my skill (Belial and Dom keep the lulz down).

If I walk into a room and there's like five dozen monsters inside and an arch-vile amongst it all, I'll probably quicksave. Other than that, it's usually once at the beginning of each level.

If I play a megawad, I save often. If I just play a single map, I don’t.

I never save. If I die, I restart the level from a pistolstart (or if I'm playing ZDoom or derivative, I just start the level from the autosave).

WildWeasel said:

I never save ... if I'm playing ZDoom or derivative, I just start the level from the autosave

If you don't want to use saves, then you can turn off autosaving (disableautosave=3 in the .ini). Also saves time and disk space.

Normal play, speedrunning: never.
Recording TAS runs: Often for shorter runs (~1000 re-records for 4-5 minutes perhaps), not so often for longer runs.

I save all the time, at least once a minute. That doesn't mean I'm a bad player, I'm very good (though not a god) in my own humble opinion. I just hate replaying parts of levels in case I fall victim to an evil trap or something. It's a character flaw, I know I would have more fun saving less :(

I don't save until I die on a map usually. Then I'll work out how likely it is I'll be OK next time. If it's tough, I'll get to where I was then save.

The most annoying thing is to make the mistake to save right when a projectile hits and kills you. This is the curse of very frequent saving ;P

Usually, I save when I find a safe place to do so. Opening a door to see 5 revenants and 2 arch villes attacking me, I don't do the mistake to save then, just flee back and hide behind a far corner and then save ;]

Jesus saves ;)

I almost never save. If it's a megawad (and I don't play those often), I might save once or so per map, but for single levels, I never save. I try and beat the map the whole way without dying, and if not, I usually quit because I don't feel like playing it over.

Save at begining of map after I IDCLEV away my weapons and health. So I can reload right to where I left off easy.

I usually save alot but never load because someone messengers me or I have to do something. If I die I pistol start map.

The point of game is not to die, so doing this makes me use better strategy.

When I do save, I try to make sure there's no enemies within close range, or if there are, I make sure I'm at an area where I'm absolutely safe. I tend to save after plowing through several huge messes of enemies, or right before I'm about to open a suspicious looking door.

I save pretty much after a big battle or before one.

My brother on the other hand saves whenever he even fights a revenant, and he loads when even a zombieman nicks him, you know, because having 199 health and armor is a really bad thing.

For me it depends. I usually don't save a whole lot on Zdoom maps because they tend to have autosaves at certain points. However, Since regular Doom doesn't have an autosave, I save frequently just in case theres a trap around the corner.