Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Doctor Who is the shit

I've seen some of the new shows; it looks solid. Unfortunately my schedule isn't, so I can't watch regularly. I remember when my mom would watch the old series whenever it came on. Christ, those writers must have been munching acid. Crazy robots armed with plungers? A floating black triangle that eats people? Yeah, that's the best of fringe sci-fi.

So how about that Davros in Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel?

(You can't fool me! Genius scientist in wheelchair creates metallic body for his race, and imbues them with the need to destroy anything inferior...)

dr. who is a British show right?

Anyone remember Red Dwarf? That show is pretty hilarious.

"Exterminate! Exterminate!" :-)

My dad used to watch the show back in the mid-to-late eighties, so I watched it with him. Good stuff. It was the part of the series where Tom Baker played the doctor.

BTW, there are some Dr Who-themed Doom wads in the archive. None with Billie Piper in them though, I'm afraid.

Bucket said:

I remember when my mom would watch the old series whenever it came on. Christ, those writers must have been munching acid. Crazy robots armed with plungers? A floating black triangle that eats people?

I think that was more to do with the very low budgets they had, and the consequent need to make do with the BBC's supply of props that really weren't very well suited to Sci-Fi.

enjoying the new series's when i get chance to watch it, the beeb is a bit shit with the scheduling, last saturday's was the second of a two parter, we turned the telly on at 7pm and... it was most of the way through having started at half 6, gawd, that's it i'm off to complain at the beeb web site

annoyed, hull

p.s. anyway, it's all good fun scifi, it's refreshing to get back to some telly that doesnt really take itself too seriously, there's too much self-important/serious telly about me thinks!

fodders said:

Blake's 7 should make a comeback.

Heh, I remember that. Everyone died at the end.

Both the new Dr. Who series have been fantastic so far. I haven't missed an episode, neither have my kids (in fact we have the TARDIS box set for the first series) Dr. Who is the talk of both my kids' school and the school I work in. The worst thing you can do ATM is miss an episode at the weekend because you won't know what everyone else is talking about on Monday.

Unfortunatley i do know what everybody at work is talking about on Mondays, usually "Celebrity ha ha he's got his knob out's pets" on ITV9. But the new series's are the best thing thats been on telly in the past two decades (except Life On Mars and the Lock, Stock... series of course). I especially loved the return of the Daleks (i watched a few old repeats from the 70's and 80's when i was really young, but i didnt know what it was really about, however i knew the Daleks where pure mechanised evil). And the one where Rose goes back to when her dad died and saved him, but then fucked up the timeline. And i think next weeks looks incredible too, 1950's Wolseley police cars and TV's that take over your mind while you watch? its gonna be great! (i didnt like the jarringly fake hover cars in the first episode of the current series ((i refuse to call it 'series 2')) though, but i suppose it was a way of saying "hey we havent lost the cheese factor!")

deathbringer said:

but i suppose it was a way of saying "hey we havent lost the cheese factor!")

I like the way they quite often acknowledge the cheese factor, or at least poke a little fun at themselves. There's a lot of humour in it, but not OTT and not detracting from it (IMO). Of course, they've also gone the other way too and had some very poignant moments.

The daleks, of course, were the memorable thing about the Eccleston series. The first episode with just the one had everyone talking and running around screeching "exterminate". Those of us old enough to remember were impressed, but longed for the days of armies of daleks gliding all over the place. They didn't let us down though. However, I thought the WWII "are you my mummy" story was some of the best television I have seen for years.

This series has continued with good quality TV. Of course the cybermen, with their "k-chunk, k-chunk, k-chunk" walk, never going that fast, yet always keeping pace with people running away from them, were fantastic. I also thought the clockwork robot/pre-revolutionary France story was very nicely executed and had a quite different feel to other episodes, yet kept the theme of the loneliness of both the Doctor and his assistants that has been a theme running through much of this series. Aside from that theme, I haven't worked out what the over-arching story (if there is one) from this series is likely to be.

I've seen most of the classics in my childhood. I'm sad that I only caught one new episode because I don't have BBC Canada anymore.

BlackFish said:

Series 1 should be still on air on Scifi channel.

Yes it is. Season 2 doesn't start for some time here.

Enjay said:

I thought the WWII "are you my mummy" story was some of the best television I have seen for years.

Indeed - it's one of three of the new Doctor Who stories to be nominated for a Hugo award this year (the other two being Dalek and Father's Day).

I live in Australia, and as such we don't get it straight away - so I've been downloading them. I also bought the Tardis box for season 1 (although I find it's a bit dodgy, with the centre flap being in an awkward position that has resulted in the DVD housing to slide off the cardboard).

Best of the season so far? School Reunion. Although I have a feeling that episode won't have as much of an impact on people who didn't grow up watching any of the old Doctor Who serials.

I'm really lovin the new series. I grew up with the original being broadcast on the pbs station here in the US. it's a shame that a bunch of the first and second doctors episodes are lost or incomplete due to the bbc wiping them or poor archiving.

out of all the doctors the only one I didn't really like, althought he had his moments, was colin baker. I didn't get to see too many of sylvester mccoys episodes, cuz interest in the waned and pbs works on public support for programming, but what I saw I liked. I've seen almost all of the john pertwee/tom baker/peter davidson series, pertwee and baker being my favorites. I think christopher eccleston is a great doctor and I can't wait to see how david tennant plays out. so far here in the states they've gotten up to the episode "boomtown" which was cool. this series has show a lot of heart and emotion, more than any of the others has IMO.

Enjay said:

The first episode with just the one had everyone talking and running around screeching "exterminate". Those of us old enough to remember were impressed, but longed for the days of armies of daleks gliding all over the place. They didn't let us down though. However, I thought the WWII "are you my mummy" story was some of the best television I have seen for years.

yeah, I got chills when the doctor got in the room with the dalek and it went off screaming about him being an "enemy of the dalek" and "you must be exterminated!" and how the doctor freaked out. that was great.

the WWII episodes were great to. real frackin creepy. in fact, if our original halloween idea (realistic 17-18th century pirates) proves to be un-feasable, my girlfriend and I are thinkin about going as one of the infected. marching in the greenwich village halloween parade in vintage clothes, a gas mask, scarred hand asking people "are you my mommy?" I wonder how many people will get it if we do that?

just out of curiousity, whats the opinion on the doctor who movie with paul mcgann? there were some things I didn't like in there, like the doctor being part human, and the eye of harmony being in the tardis. oh, and eric roberts as a vessel for the master? wtf? the only movie that I think he was good in was the ambulance, and that was a mediocre movie at best.

They keep mentioning "Torchwood" during this series, i'm pretty sure its been mentioned at least once in every episode (even the first cybermen one, which was set in an alternate reality) except the second cybermen one (at least the half i saw >:( ). We know that in modern times its some sort of x-files style secret agency, and that it was originally set up by Queen Victoria after she met the doctor, and a rather nasty werewolf. I suspect some sort of showdown between Torchwood and the Doctor will happen at the end of the series.

fraggle said:

I mourn the inability to set avatars :-)

If I want a new avatar, all I have to do is replace the file on my brother's server :)

My avatar is so awesome, I have no desire to do that, though.

Yeah, the Torchwood thing - I forgot about that. Wasn't that also mentioned in the Christmas special? Wasn't that the name of the emergency protocol, or whatever, that the prime minister authorised to allow destruction of the alien spaceship over London?

Anyway, how could I forget to mention... (if you haven't seen the cybermen episode spoiler ahead)

In the second cybermen episode, when the cyber "upgraded" John Lumic is falling from the Zepplin after the ladder rope snaps, listen to the sound of the explosion he falls into. Sound like a certain MAP30 boss shooter noise to you? ;)

I like how the new series focuses more on the Doctor AND Rose. before, his companions were just that, companions. Rose Tyler's proving to be much more than that.

fraggle said:

I mourn the inability to set avatars :-)

hartnell <3

rf` said:

I like how the new series focuses more on the Doctor AND Rose. before, his companions were just that, companions. Rose Tyler's proving to be much more than that.

(Probably getting the quotes a little bit wrong)

Sarah-Jane: You can tell you're getting older, your assistants are getting younger.
Rose (indignantly): I'm not his assistant.
Sarah-Jane: No? (to the Doctor) Get you, tiger.

:)

rf` said:

pertwee <3

Agreed. My favourite from the old era.

The Torchwood thing doesn't really interest me all that much - it will be a spin off show with Jack as one of the stars, so it's most probably just setup for that. The thing that interests me more is that they're building up to the Doctor being some kind of god - one that obviously needs interaction with the universe instead of just sitting back and doing nothing. I wonder if we'll see the Face of Boe again before the season ends...

GooberMan said:

The Torchwood thing doesn't really interest me all that much - it will be a spin off show with Jack as one of the stars, so it's most probably just setup for that.

Ah yes, I forgot about that upcoming spin-off. I'm interested to see how that turns out. I liked the Jack character.

rf` said:

hartnell <3

Even with the modified (corrected) <3, I'll stick by what I said. Pertwee was always my favourite original Doctor.

I like the fact that rose is a bigger role than the doctors other companions and the fact that their is something more between them.

I can't wait to see the "school reunion" episode with sarah jane and k-9. I used to love k-9 and how he could be so literal sometimes, like when romana asked him about tennis and he prattled on. she told him to forget it frustration and did just that, delete tennis from his memory banks. lol

as for favorite doctor, its a toss up for me between pertwee and baker. I didn't get to see a lot of the hartnell and troughton doctors, but I've seen I liked.