Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofhell

Grizzly Man

Wildlife experts expressed concerns that by taking away the bears' natural fear of humans — and portraying the animals as cuddly companions — he was doing them more harm than good.

We can only guess one of the bears eventually said "enough of this, you're going to get us in trouble!".

Should say: Wildlife experts expressed concerns that by taking away humans' natural fear of the bears — and portraying the animals as cuddly companions — he was going to get seriously fucking harmed by them.

If I may quote part of the foreward from Peter Capstick's "Death in the Silent Places":

"Today, in a culture where real physical risk is largely limited to changing lanes on a freeway or being bludgeoned in your bed by some overenthusiastic hophead in dire need of whatever the latest chemical escape from reality may be, the contemplation of a life-style in which you may be pulled down and dragged off at any dark moment by a man-eating lion, tiger or leopard is almost beyond comprehension. But it still happens every day in Africa and Asia, and may be taking place as you read these words. Capsulized as we are in a world in which our electronically vicarious thrills and Hollywoodized "nature" shows are served up over the frozen, microwave revived, mass-prepared corpse of some long-dead chicken in its disposable aluminum coffin, segmented by insipid feminine-hygiene-product commercials, it's not all that easy to remember - let alone relate to - the fact that we once were, and still are, hunters. As in predators.

Because of our largely urbanized existence, I suspect that some readers may find this book "gory." If so, then it is becuase the truth is gory.In our carefully insulated world of the West, genuinely violent death and its aftermath are visual rarities, although even a few hours of any evening on any network will provide an almost unbelievable casualty list of shooting, explosion, strangling, poisoning, drowning and more thoughtfully disposed of victims. But not real death. In our society that inevitability is neatly and sanitarily packaged in obituaries, memorial services and checks to charities which seem to vie for evermore unpronounceable and dreaded diseases to stamp out.

Alas, death is not so neat in the silent places."

I remember a special on the Discovery Channel (which used to be the only channel worth watching, until a several of years ago it got filled with garbage reality shows and home decorating programs) a spell ago that was about some buffoon testing his hypothesis that lions do not view humans as food, and therefore he was pulling a Treadwell and screwing around near a pride of the things on the Serenghetti.

The results (him not getting a treatment we humans usually reserve for beef cattle) were complete bullshit because the Serenghetti is practically a zoo. Those lions are seeing tourists driving past every day, and are so conditioned to human prescence that I bet you could come in with an airhorn and push them off a kill.

If said moron had gone to a more remote area, like Tsavo, he probably would have ended up in the kitty litter.

I have to say most animal lover's contempt for nature is disgusting. Watch a few hours of that sacharrine "Animal Planet" network and try not to agree with me. Rather than showing how animals survive and behave in nature, you are instead forcefed oh so sweet stories of how someone saved some poor puppy from the streets. Instead of raising awareness of the threats to many species survival, we get some packaged pulp that lets some overweight housewives feel better that they don't parent their kids.

Animal Planet would never show how ramapant development is consuming nature and raping the land, because their middle-class audience doesn't want ot be reminded that their meaningless consumericstic lifestyle destroys what little nature the the corporate world hasn't drilled, burned or blasted away.

Timothy Treadwell is micro-example of the trends we see. He disrespected the bears and was ignorant of their behavior by treating them like simple livestock. Despite his infatuation with the animals he really didn't know anything about them. He got on a pedastal and spread his ignorance anywhere he could.

What seperates him from so many other natural revisionists and propagandists is that he ultimately was destroyed by his own ignorance and lack of sense.

I remember a point from one of my favorite books, "Monster of God" by David Quammen. After travelling the world to see a few of the last remaining population of animals that will eat humans, he theorizes that within the next century we will see all of them be either forced into zoos or fenced game preserves, as humanity's rate of expansion and greed will eclipse the importance of the natural world. Sadly I have to agree with him.

Dr. Zin said:

Animal Planet would never show how ramapant development is consuming nature and raping the land, because their middle-class audience doesn't want ot be reminded that their meaningless consumericstic lifestyle destroys what little nature the the corporate world hasn't drilled, burned or blasted away.

Also some of us just don't care. Why can't these silly creatures just evolve? Never mind they'll still exist, as slaves like our cattle. ^^

No. Treadwell was a damn fool. Due to a bad ticket with an airline he stayed later in his camp then normal, and met a different set of bears that had migrated to the coast from inland that he had not habituated to him.

Exactly, these bears he encountered were about to enter hibernation, and when an animal does this, they want to eat up as much as possible. And about the poster who mentioned development destroying nature, it is very true. Ten years ago, the place I live in was very green, lots of forests and wooded areas. Now, most of it is your typical booming suburbs with blockbusters, restaurants, a mall, and even a entire new downtown area being constructed. But it is inevitable, a lot of people are moving down here(Orlando.)

Dr. Zin said:

I remember a point from one of my favorite books, "Monster of God" by David Quammen. After travelling the world to see a few of the last remaining population of animals that will eat humans, he theorizes that within the next century we will see all of them be either forced into zoos or fenced game preserves, as humanity's rate of expansion and greed will eclipse the importance of the natural world. Sadly I have to agree with him.

Ah geez, that last paragraph is depressing. As much as I like animals, I won't feel any remorse for people like Treadwell getting himself killed because he basically wanted to molest the bears since he thought he knew them well. Animals want their own damn space to live in. Too bad almost all of humanity doesn't realize that.

Hey, know that guy on the funny videos show on the animal channel? I bet that every night he puts a gun in his mouth and contemplates pulling the trigger.