Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janizdreg

Vanilla Doom won't work on Windows XP even without sound

Recommended Posts

I recently formatted my Windows partition and reinstalled Windows XP (Home Edition), and now it won't run vanilla Doom at all anymore. Is there something I can do to be able to run it again (note that I'm already using -nosound and -devparm)?

Share this post


Link to post

You could try setting the compatiblity mode to one of the older versions, such as windows 95, see what that does

Share this post


Link to post

I don't get that. I've got mine set to Windows 95 on Windows XP, and I've never had a problem with Doom95, complete with sound.

Best I guess not to reload XP.

What I do wish is that I could find a decent program to run Wolfenstein. It runs fine except that some sound effects dont work, and there's no music.

Share this post


Link to post
ooverlord said:

I don't get that. I've got mine set to Windows 95 on Windows XP, and I've never had a problem with Doom95, complete with sound.


He was talking about the original DOS executable, not Doom95.

Share this post


Link to post
Janizdreg said:

I recently formatted my Windows partition and reinstalled Windows XP (Home Edition), and now it won't run vanilla Doom at all anymore. Is there something I can do to be able to run it again (note that I'm already using -nosound and -devparm)?


* Update to Service Pack 2
* Under properties make sure that none of the files read by doom are marked Read-Only (doom.exe/doom2.exe, doom.wad/doom2.wad/plutonia.wad/tnt.wad, and default.cfg)
* DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE GIVE IT A COMPATABILITY MODE OR USE OPTIONS UNDER THE COMPATABILITY TAB.
* Doom in XP needs neither -devparm or -nosound. In fact they might break it. Dunno, never tried those parameters in XP. Doom runs fine without -devparm and if you dont use VDMSound just leave the sound devices in your default.cfg set to none, instead of using -nosound.

Share this post


Link to post

Will people please stop making posts here suggesting that Janizdreg tries Chocolate-Doom (or another port)? He knows about Chocolate-Doom and even started the main thread about it. Quite possibly a major reason he wants to get vanilla working again is to test that Chocolate is emulating it correctly. So please restrict comments to what he is actually asking about.

And I'm sorry that I can't help, as vanilla has always worked fine for me (apart from sound) on all XP systems I have used, without me needing to use any special settings. My normal way of running it is not with -nosound, but by setting the sound fx card to either None or PC Speaker (via setup.exe). But -nosound works too.

Share this post


Link to post
Lance MDR Rocket said:

You need to CLI2NOP patch it before you can use it with VDMSound.

The download link down the bottom works OK.


Actually, VDMSound 2.0.4 Update 2 comes with CLI2NOP, and it sounds better than 2.0.4 + CLI2NOP.

And I wish I could help more but I've always been able to take doom2.exe and doom2.wad and run it (without sound) without any problems. Perhaps if you told us where it hangs or breaks...

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

Quite possibly a major reason he wants to get vanilla working again is to test that Chocolate is emulating it correctly.

Exactly.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Perhaps if you told us where it hangs or breaks...

The executable simply refuses to start completely - it won't even reach the loading screen.

* Update to Service Pack 2

Hm, I might try this. Do all of you people (who can run vanilla) have Service Pack 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Janizdreg said:

Do all of you people (who can run vanilla) have Service Pack 2?

I don't think so. For my desktop machine, System Info describes the version as "5.1.2600 Build 2600" and my laptop says "5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600".

Share this post


Link to post
Janizdreg said:

Hm, I might try this. Do all of you people (who can run vanilla) have Service Pack 2?


It updates NTVDM to something that doesnt suck quite so much, making it work better with more systems.

BTW my XP version is "Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 (Service Pack 2)" though since you have XP Home it would be different for you (PaintDesktopVersion FTW).

And, uh, if the executable wont even start it sounds like you might have a problem with NTVDM itself. Run it in a cmd window and tell me if it gives any messages.

Share this post


Link to post
HobbsTiger1 said:

Run it in a cmd window and tell me if it gives any messages.

Ran it, it doesn't give any.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×