Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_user

What damage type should be given to a specific flat?

Is there a generally accepted standard for what damage type should be given to a specific flat?

I'm working on a level and I don't want to give a flat -2%/-5% damage if it's typically given -10%/-20% damage or vice-versa.

Well, there aren't any fixed rules or anything; There's no standard. Not even in the original games. In the original Doom games for instance some blood will hurt you and other blood won't.

My advice is just to do what seems right to you.
But try to be consistent (unlike to example mentioned above).

Here's what I do:
blood, brown water and blue water never gives damage.
green nukage always gives damage but not the maximum amount of damage.
Lava always gives you highest amount of damage.

But hey, that's just my taste. It's not uncommon for other mappers to have the brown water deal damage for example.

My personal guide:

Nothing - Water

2/5% - Blood, Slime

5/10% - Nukage, Hot Rocks

10/20% - Lava

The mine:

none - blue water, small hot rocks
-5% health - nukage slime, FLOOR6_1 (red rock), slightly hot rocks
-10% health - red stuff, stable brown stuff, large hot rocks, lava (when you have to walk thru)
-20% health - any dead-end, lava (when you don't have to wade thru), unstable brown stuff (the one which looks like glowing)

Scientist makes a very good point. It's very annoying when in the same WAD, sometimes blood will do nothing, but other times it deals full damage.

The way I do it is:

No damage - Blood, brown water (I always took this to be sewage or muddy water)
2/5% - Nukage
5/10% - Hot rocks or random damage sectors (Not necessarily a certain flat. For example, radiation, cold/hot rooms, toxic gas)
10/20% - Lava

A notable exception is that when in Hell, water should hurt you, because it's boiling hot. This was fairly consistently applied in E3 of DOOM :)

I'd say:

Nothing - Water, Blood, Hot rocks (ffs, you got shoes, it's not that bad.)

2/5% - Brown water

5/10% - Nukage

10/20% - Lava

Water - Instagib. It's really acid, ohnoes!
Hot Rocks - You randomly jump up and down while yelling 'Ow ow ow!'
Lava - Nothing, it's just lukewarm lava.
Nukage - You turn into the Toxic Avenger for 30 sec and can throw green slime at enemies.
Brown Water - You giggle and make poo jokes.

Quasar said:

A notable exception is that when in Hell, water should hurt you, because it's boiling hot. This was fairly consistently applied in E3 of DOOM :)

Wow nice observation. I never noticed that. I will have to go back and give that a look.

udderdude said:

Nukage - You turn into the Toxic Avenger for 30 sec and can throw green slime at enemies

Don't forget crushing people's heads on weight machines! :D

For me, damage depends on the situation of the level.

If you have a pit with no way out and it's filled with green slime then I would give it full damage because nobody wants to wait for a slow death by giving that only 2/5% damage.

A long hallway where the player can get out of that's filled with slime for example I would give that lesser damage.

I don't think it really matters. I personally just use the lava, fire, and nukage flats to show that the area will do damage. I personally think it depends on how it will affect gameplay. If it's an inescapable pit, I'll usually have lava with 10-20% damage, but otherwise I use 5-10 damage.

Water, Slime, Blood (Seriously, how can blood hurt you?) - Nothing
Lava, Nukage - Something, maybe 5-10, depends on the map
A Pit wich you cannot get up from - 255 Damage (zdoom) obviously you dont want to wait like 10 seconds to die...

Let's also note that if you're getting close to radioactive sources it would be more realistic if some small amount of pain is emitted no matter the texture used. Same with lava, you'd most likely pick up slightly heatshocks when getting close to Lava.

I think this was tried in Cleimos v2.0 (for Doom II). Supposedly all barrels were placed on "dummy" sectors which damaged the player (i.e. getting close to the barrel's radiation does damage, even after the boom). I haven't checked Cleim2.0 too much. But that's a good idea indeed especially with lava - someone told me you can't even get a few metres near lava without getting boiled. But I never thought LAVA0x is indeed lava -- just some acid with virgin meat and piss on it, yeah.

kind of on subject here,
is there a way to give damage every 0.2 Seconds, so it seems more frequent, as i expect standing in lava wouldnt hurt you once per second...

- sausage -

Ah well my list of what I usually do.

Water, Hot Rocks - no damage
Blood - 2/5% or no damage
Brown slime - 2/5% or 5/10% or no damage
Nukage - 5/10%
Lava - 10/20%

Can be done in ACS:

script 100 enter
{
 thing_damage(0,nn); // nn is how much damage
 delay(8);
 restart;
}
At least I think it's done that way.

0% Water, Rocks
5% Sewage, Blood (Do you want to stand in a pool of blood or excrement?)
10% Nukeage
20% Lava

but theres a problem with doing it in acs
It only gets activated by a linedef, not by a sector....

but thanks for tryig to help :D

- sausage -

You have to apply a while loop to do this thing, and most likely you want to use this when you're hitting deep lava pits. Try to use this when hitting a sector with a deep water in it, set the floor to -40 of the outter sector, that makes the player can't step out of it. Then as the player stumbles into the pit then the effect is applied.

hmm, but i want it to be done on every lava, it could be done if i am correct....
ill try it soon

- suasage -