Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ebon

Do super giant mega giga wads exist?

So do pwads with, like, 10 episodes of 20 levels each exist? Anything big?

Yes, megagoogol.wad has more levels than there are stars in the sky. But it's not finished yet. John Romero and Mordeth are working on it together.

Now if someone were to combine every single wad in the archives into one enormous monstrosity...

I'd love to construct something big, so as nobody'll ever manage to finish it :).

I was testing the WadMerge program on a bunch of really lame wads I sifted out of my collection.
I thought I put 32 maps in but I guess some wads had a couple maps on them, I made a 45 map wad out of them.

Paul Fleschute once had a plan to combine Invasion and Invasion II and some new levels to Ultimate Invasion, a wad of 99 levels. Unfortunately, that never happened :(

BTW, if you haven't played the Invasion wads before, try them out, they're pretty good...or at least were back in '98.

Earthbound doom has 5 normal levels, and then after map 32 adds some more to make the total up to 53, pity the first 5 are stupid and the others are a series of "my house" DM maps with various monsters shoved in at random

I think those invasion wads were made much earlier than 98.. i believe 93/94 or so. They are absolutely incredible. Looked incredible in 94, and still hold up today. They're for doom1 btw.
I never knew of any other wad back then that had 2000+ sectors and no visplane errors.

Fusion said:

I think those invasion wads were made much earlier than 98.. i believe 93/94 or so. They are absolutely incredible. Looked incredible in 94, and still hold up today. They're for doom1 btw.

Well, if you follow the links I provided, you'll see that Invasion II is for Doom2 and it came out in '98. The first Invasion's version 1.9 was released in late '97, but I don't know the release date of version 1.0. I myself didn't play any earlier versions than 1.9.

EDIT: Maybe you meant INVADE1.WAD, which is indeed for Doom1 and made in '94. That is a single level and the Invasion wads I was talking about are megawads of 36 and 32 levels.

Yes sir.. That's exactly what i meant .. there was only 2-3 levels, invade1, invade2, and one that took place on earth.

Well I had a megawad with 32 levels, but all levels are biggest what doomBuilder can make. Filesize is about 1Gb. Unfortunently ive lost them all to my USB-flash disk, what dropped to the deepest hell. :,(

I always wondered: If Wolfenstein-3D consisted of 6 episodes containing 10 maps each, how come DOOM consisted of only 3/4 episodes, containing only 9 maps each?

I mean, sure, DOOM maps were more time consuming to create compared to Wolf maps, but didn't some of those ID guys enjoy working long and hard for overtime hours?

DarkJedi188 said:

I always wondered: If Wolfenstein-3D consisted of 6 episodes containing 10 maps each, how come DOOM consisted of only 3/4 episodes, containing only 9 maps each?

I mean, sure, DOOM maps were more time consuming to create compared to Wolf maps, but didn't some of those ID guys enjoy working long and hard for overtime hours?

Wolf3d maps are quite easy to build up. Very easy.
Quake has only 31 levels, if I'm not wrong, even less than Dooom 2.

Darkhaven said:

@DarkJedi : lol XDoom

Yeah, I remember you originally wanted to have like 6 or 5 episodes to make it as much identical to the Doom Bible as possible, but we couldn't get enough support from the community for that.
But it should still be good enough even if it's down to only 4 episodes.

Dammit, Darkhaven, save up some cash and buy your cousin a better laptop as a gift, so that he'll be willing to return the old one which contains our WAD.
That way we would finally have XDOOM released!

Didnt XDOOM have cutscenes (which made everybody love it) with voice acting (which made everybody love it) and (old-style) 3D floors and breaking windows (which made everybody love it), except that actually the voice acting was muffled and shit, the cutscenes where confusing and buggy and the levels where utterly awful worse-than-1994 mazes with every wall covered in STEPTOP?

deathbringer said:

Didnt XDOOM have cutscenes (which made everybody love it) with voice acting (which made everybody love it) and (old-style) 3D floors and breaking windows (which made everybody love it), except that actually the voice acting was muffled and shit, the cutscenes where confusing and buggy and the levels where utterly awful worse-than-1994 mazes with every wall covered in STEPTOP?

Oh....Are you referring to that French TC site at Newdoom.com?
In that case, XDOOM is not the name of the actual TC, it is only the name of the site, and a mere unintentional coincidence with the XDOOM conceived by Darkhaven in the summer of 2004.

The name of that French guy's TC is ZD3K or something like that.

Ebon said:

I'd love to construct something big, so as nobody'll ever manage to finish it :).

You wouldn't probably be able to finish building it before your death. Even your grandchildren would have serious problems.

myk said:

Yes, megagoogol.wad has more levels than there are stars in the sky. But it's not finished yet. John Romero and Mordeth are working on it together.

...grow up.

ellmo said:

You wouldn't probably be able to finish building it before your death. Even your grandchildren would have serious problems.

I doubt anyone who would build something like that for Doom will have grandchildren.