Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Using your fists is an efficient and ammo-saving way to kill the baddies, right? But I just don't understand how to take down some without a scratch. If they're hitscan monsters, I can understand, but if they have a projectile and/or melee attack, it seems like if your footwork is good enough, you shall prevail, but not me...

My biggest issue is Revenants. These suckers just know how to fight back! It seems like if I get close enough for him to punch me, he will, but then I can step back so he'll miss, but then immediately missile me, which is usually much more devastating than a punch. Any tips from big time tysoners?

Here is a demo of my trying to tyson a Revenant on map16 and dying because of the aforementioned reasons. Made with Chocolate Doom. (Also, copy-paste link, it's freewebs.)

[Also, I would like this to be moved to "Doom General" since it's not a true demo of anything special.]

The trick with revenants is that when you back off to avoid his punch, you only do so by a small amount. That way you stay within the distance for him to close on you to attempt a punch attack (rather than him switching to the missile attack). With a bit of experience this becomes fairly easy, making revenants perhaps the easiest of the higher monsters to Tyson (at least, in a one-on-one situation where you start off at close quarters).

[Might as well leave this in Demos. General gets pretty cluttered at the best of times, and the title here refers to a demo category, and a style of play that is most closely associated with demos, and your post included a demo - reasons enough IMO.]

All right, here's me making several attempts at trying your tip on backing up a smidge instead of a lot when fighting them. It doesn't seem to work, because I back up a little but still get punched...weird. Can you spot anything I'm doing wrong?

http://www.freewebs.com/bashe/round2.zip

You need to work on the timing. Try watching some of Xit Vono's Tyson demos if you can't get it just by experimentation. Though trying to kill a revenant with the non-berserk fist is obviously a far greater challenge than using the berserk on it.

I've put a demo here, just showing the map16 revenant being non-berserked.

Another thing about Tysoning revenants is that if you punch the revenant, and it doesn't react, then it'll keep trying to punch you. Whereas if you hit it and the revenant reacts, making a noise, then it'll loose a missile at you every time.

Keep this in mind: If you are inside a certain range then the revenant will not try to shoot a missle unless you make it flinch. After he shoots, you can go back to dodging his punches.