Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Genesis Doom

http://www.geocities.com/doomgenesis/

A search didn't produce any results, so sorry if it's been posted before. Homebrew Sega Genesis Doom port! By the looks of it, the guy is using SNES Doom as a watermark (ugh). A shame he's not updating his dev log, I'd like to see the process...

Dang, where's my TC with Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel sprites?!

Pretty neat idea...though, it's clearly based on the 32x version. I mean, that's just common sense?!

If it were based around the snes version, it wouldn't feature the chopped-up, doom 2 textured mapset that almost every console port has inexplicably been using since 1994, now would it? :P

Not that the snes ones are great or anything, but they look a little more accurate save for the missing flats.

I remember when I was younger, I thought it'd be cool if Doom had been released on the Genesis, since it was the only system I had at the time. Now I realize it would have been disastrous. It seems like when there's a lack of innovation, far too often people fall victim to "Because I can" syndrome. If in order to port a game to a given system you have to greatly reduce the original game's visuals, I don't see how it could be worth playing except for novelty. Imagine playing Q3A on the PS1, with greatly reduced texture quality, lighting effects and polygon count, not to mention a pretty shoddy framerate. I don't think that'd be much fun.

I dunno, maybe the PS1 could pull it off. Q3A on the Dreamcast was pretty darn close to the real thing.

ooverlord said:

I dunno, maybe the PS1 could pull it off. Q3A on the Dreamcast was pretty darn close to the real thing.

Let's keep in mind that the Dremcast was a 128-bit system and the PS1 is a 32-bit system, heh.

I don't know, let's take a look at the PS1's specs:

32-bit 33MHz processor
2M RAM
1M VRAM
500k textured & lighted polys per second
1.5M flat-shaded poys per second

I couldn't find out how many polys per scene the Q3 engine supports, but I think it'd look OK with less than 100,000. It won't be visually stunning, but I bet you could pull it off. Hell, it might even look neat all flat-shaded...

Thing is, to pull off these kinds of graphics you'd be spending a lot of time tweaking your engine and get REALLY familiar with the hardware. The latest batch of PS2 games confirms that.

Nope I really cannot see how one could get Quake3 running on a PS1 without bastardizing most of the game.

Also note that the Dreamcast version TOTALLY owned the PS2 version in both graphics and gameplay.

Heh, this project seeks to accomplish the exact opposite thing that the SNES Doom mod is out to do.

Job said:

Heh, this project seeks to accomplish the exact opposite thing that the SNES Doom mod is out to do.

How do you figure?

Coopersville said:

The box art is terrible, but what that person's doing with the game is pretty cool.

Brown stuff is all the rage these days. Ever since Quake came out, people can't get enough brown shit!
Just take a look at how many wads are using resources from Too Much Brown.

P.S.
Find 3 disturbing things in this reply.

GoatLord said:

How do you figure?

SNES Doom = porting a console version of Doom to PC

Genesis Doom = porting a PC version of Doom to console.

wait....What the hell? Why would anyone import SNES DooM to PC DooM?

To see if it's possible, obviously.
I'm still waiting for my GB version of Wolf3D. There was already a clone made called Dino Maze or something.

People are forgetting that you CAN'T port the SNES Doom port anyway, as it relies rather heavily on SuperFX for wall and sprite rendering as well as maps

and yeah, the box art is lame, im kinda sick seeing q3a stuff clash in doom or so (grr skulltag)

leileilol said:

People are forgetting that you CAN'T port the SNES Doom port anyway, as it relies rather heavily on SuperFX for wall and sprite rendering as well as maps

and yeah, the box art is lame, im kinda sick seeing q3a stuff clash in doom or so (grr skulltag)

It is advertised as using the Super FX2 chip. And I use the word Advertise

Technician said:

It is advertised as using the Super FX2 chip. And I use the word Advertise

Advertised, but it actually did use it.

Well, shit. The guy just e-mailed me to tell me it was a hoax.
Meh. It was plausible, anyway...

Bucket said:

Eh? That's likely the 32x version.

Ah yes, I forgot that that emulator also works with 32x roms.

Bucket said:
Meh. It was plausible, anyway...

At least now we'll have the Genesis TC you started here, which, unlike the hoax, is real!