Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deathbringer

Dehacked in XP

Does anybody know if dehacked works in Windows XP? i havent used it for probably over 3 years, and that would have been on my old 98 computer. I think i put all the files where it wants them in the INI (though my doom.exe and doom2.exe from off the CD are called xxdoom.exe and xxdoom2.exe, could they be different?) but all i get is a brief 'flash' of a DOS window and then nothing

Maybe you could open a command prompt and navigate to the DeHackEd directory, launching it there by typing. You would probably catch the error message, if there is one.

As for the engines, their size is 709,905 bytes (Doom/2 v1.9) and 715,493 bytes (ultimate). If those you have are different you can get Doom/2 v1.9 from the DOS shareware package.

Will the engines run for you, if you run them with devparm and nosound?

Dehacked works fine for me in XP.

Check your dehacked.ini (make sure the names and locations match), and, as myk suggests, try running it from a command prompt so that you see whatever message it generates (or alternatively, deselect "Close on exit" in the program's properties).

If everything appears to be set up right but it still fails, check that everything has a valid DOS filename and path.

Fusion said:
There's always whacked.

But that's for Windows wankers!

Or more pertinently, while Whacked can be used to produce deh files, if you want to apply the changes to a vanilla exe (or a hacked version thereof), then you need Dehacked.

Grazza said:

Or more pertinently, while Whacked can be used to produce deh files, if you want to apply the changes to a vanilla exe (or a hacked version thereof), then you need Dehacked.

People still do that? :P

Actually i dug up a shitty old TC (for Legacy, no exe patching needed) based loosely on a comic about Final Fantasy 6 and 7 being crossed over, but (for some reason) i had made the BFG shoot cacodemon fireballs, and then later turned the cacodemon fireball into a Shinra Soldier's head, to fly off when they are gibbed. Thanks for the suggestions anyway, i'll have a play around

I've been using dehacked in XP for years - no problems at all. I find it better and more stable than I did in Win9X (which wasn't too bad either). Grazza and Myk's suggestestions make sense. It probably is an ini issue (it usually is) and doing what has been suggested should allow you to see the error messages it's printing.