Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peach freak

Help on how Block Sound works

This confuses the hell out of me, and I always have to trial and error so that the "Block Sound" flag on a linedef works. Now this is one I need help on.

http://img277.imageshack.us/my.php?image=soundblock0fe.jpg

The sector circled in red is where I where I want the sound blocked so the enemies in that room cannot hear and react to gunshots until they hear you. All of the sectors circled in yellow are stairs. The blue sector is the room you will be in before heading up the stairs. And when you fire at the enemies in that room, I want to make it so the enemies in the red circled sector won't hear you.

On the staircase, which linedef would need to be flagged as Block Sound, and what direction would it need to be facing? 9 times out of 10 I cannot get Block Sound right. How does it work and how are you supposed to use it on a certain linedef?

Get two (2) "block sound" linedefs between the sector that originates the sound and the sector that you want to block the sound from. It does not matter which direction the linedef faces.

Keep in mind that sound "travels" from sector to sector, so splitted sectors propagate sound to all their neighbouring sectors even if the other part of that splitted sector is on the other side of the map.