Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Malice Rancor

Music Program

When my grandparents bought a Cd burner it came with a program called Mixman Studio. I messed with it a bit and thought it was kinda fun, but I want a program like that-that can do a lot more. Anyone have any recommendations on music making, recording, mixing, whatever, etc., programs.

AcidPro rules.

I tried mixman, I hated the thing. Acid will allow you to make loops with custom samples, use loops, use custom samples and loops, use full tracks of any instrument, run plug-ins, edit video to the music, etc.

PLUS IT'S UNBELIEVABLY EASY TO USE, EVEN WITHOUT A MANUAL. You have to be a complete retard to not figure out Acid in 2 or 3 days. It's one of the very few logically-laid-out programs ever made. You can download a demo here, or go to the companys website and see what else is there at SonicFoundry.com.

AcidPro is for WAV files though, so if you're looking for MIDI stuff... I can't tell you a good program, but I CAN tell you to avoid CakeWalk like the plague.

BTW, I have a desktop shot of a song I'm doing in AcidPro here. (PNG, 81K)

Again with MIDI:

If you come across a copy of Midisoft Studio, RUN. The company went under not long after the most recent release (which is buggy as hell compared to, say, 4.0, which was released for Win3.1), and trying to FIND the upgrades is - uh - im-FUCKING-possible.

That said, it's otherwise a nice program.

Cakewalk 9 is really nice, there have been a few versions on Cakewalk which just shouldn't of seen light of day (My college uses one of them for multimedia, the music courses use Cubase VST of course)

A nice combination for making music is, a [a sequencer], Soundforge, AcidPro and soundfonts. Use Soundforge to record a Midi "riff", then pretty much voila, you have a nice looping keyboard sample :)

Bah! CoolEdit, Goldwave and the Windows sound editor (just kidding bout the Windows sound editor) are the best IMO.

Bah! CoolEdit, Goldwave and the Windows sound editor (just kidding bout the Windows sound editor) are the best IMO.

You know nada.

Bah! CoolEdit, Goldwave and the Windows sound editor

What the hell? You don't know anything about music editing obviously

hahahah newbies, the lot of you.

I'm suprised mr pullen aka Fanatic hasn't responded.

When making midi, anything goes although cakewalk pro audio 9 is what I use.

When making anything else, get a TRACKER GODDAMNIT!!!! fruityloops and acid are both newbie versions of tracking programs. "Trax" are found on deadnail's cool deathmatch pack and Deus Ex, as well as millions of non-profit sites. Look for fasttracker 2, madtracker, impulse tracker, or my favourite, MODPLUG TRACKER www.modplug.com . These are amazing programs, my friends. They can literally out-perform a symphony. Once you have a tracker, get some samples. I make my own with SimSynth and Sound Forge, but you can check out www.samplenet.co.uk or get some from other trax. With modplug tracker, you can make MIDI, chiptunes (old GAMEBOY-style music) or anything else. They're somewhat hard to learn, but you get used to it. Trackers are professional and very cool. Recently, I found www.paragon5.com 's gameboy-music tracker. Interesting stuff.

here's some links
www.scenemusic.net -demoscene radio
www.scene.org -tracking news
www.chiptune.com -chiptunes!!1111111
www.traxinspace.com -trax all over
www.modplug.com -tracking news, trax, reviews, etc

Yes, Modplug Tracker (win32) is a great freeware tracker. I don't know much about Acid, but it sounds like you could do more w/ the tracker than you could w/ Acid.

For midis, I have tried the open source Jazzware composer (win32, Linux). It is pretty easy to use, but any midis you make get slowed down when you try converting them to mus.

I use GoldWave - it's nothing amazing but does the job alright, I may try the other alternate programs in this topic....oo0o0