Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bardcat

Untitled project screenshots.

These screenshots are pretty much rough drafts of the final product. Alot of cleaning up needs to be done. Some lights look like ass and some places just need more detail, but it's a work in progress. When it's finished, it will be a hub for zdoom (latest version) with as many maps as I feel like doing. It's going to (try to) be pretty atmospheric and creepy with neat cutscenes and whatnot.

A few mostly finished places in MAP01:

http://www.geocities.com/sirbardcat/DOOM0009.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/sirbardcat/DOOM0012.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/sirbardcat/DOOM0013.jpg

Not bad. I'm in agreement with Checkmate's idea, and I'd also suggest more ceiling detail besides just the lights. Maybe structural supports that jut down a bit from the ceiling and meet at opposite walls? Maybe pipes connecting those tech columns? (If you're using ZDoom, you could use slopes on the ceilings to round them.)

#13/third linked shot: I think the "randomly missing tiles" on a tile floor thing is a bit over-used by now, but it would be a bit fresher if you would allow the possibility of more than one tile missing in any given spot rather than having single tiles sporadically missing. What kind of damage would tear something like that out cleanly without pulling something else out, and who would cleanly remove a single tile for no good reason?

Don't know about you but that's a favorite past-time of mine. Anytime I'm out I always find myself pulling out random tiles, but never, NEVER ones that are together. It would break their little tile hearts. Just take the loner tiles.

yeah. i really suck at floor/ceiling detail. if you guys have any more detailing ideas (be really specific, because i'm an idiot) please tell me.

i mean, i'll have an idea for something, but i won't know how to make it go together nicely. like, you can't just have a crossbeam in the middle of a room without something to support them. and sometimes i get crazy with detail and then i think of gothic 99 and just delete everything heh.

but thanks for the comments

One thing you could do is make 'steps' on the ceiling, kind of like what you did on the floor. Even if it was only one step, it would break up the mostly flat ceiling.

With some changes, you could have crossbeams supported by the pillars that you already have in place.

Other than that, it looks nice.

Funny that in doom, we always feel a need to detail the ceiling.. In the real world, ceilings and floors are relatively bland and boring with little architectual detail (the majority of buildings anyway); but in doom, if someone doesn't indent the floor or ceiling, it looks plain.. but plain is real! :P

Some good detail ideas for ceiling/floor are:

carpets, trimming around walls (seems to make the room feel more seemless), pipes, electrical wires, beams, lights, debris of any kind, skylights, ceiling fans, vents/air ducts, cranes, large hanging monitors, large bay doors (for hangars maybe?), and of course support beams(over used).

Personally, I try to create a purpose for every room i make, and build off of that. If every room feels like it could tell a story of what happened in the past, your levels will be incredibly atmospheric. All debris should make sense. Why were those tiles ripped out.. Maybe a marine was digging out the tiles, desperately trying to find something buried beneath them such as some sort of electrical relay that would prevent some sort of disaster from happening.. It doesn't need to make perfect sense, but if you put some thought into every room, your level will be freaky, because it will feel as if it has a past.

Anyway, I like the screenshots so far, Good Luck to you!

Fusion said:

Funny that in doom, we always feel a need to detail the ceiling.. In the real world, ceilings and floors are relatively bland and boring with little architectual detail (the majority of buildings anyway); but in doom, if someone doesn't indent the floor or ceiling, it looks plain.. but plain is real! :P

In an apartment building perhaps.
But I advice you to actually look at architecture. Just look at the ceiling of a classroom, you will be surpriced.

Fusion said:

In the real world, ceilings and floors are relatively bland and boring with little architectual detail (the majority of buildings anyway)

kristus said:

In an apartment building perhaps.
But I advice you to actually look at architecture. Just look at the ceiling of a classroom, you will be surpriced.

Yes i know that some ordinary establishments have detailed ceilings, but as i said "IN THE MAJORITY", it's relatively boring.

If you study an ordinary classroom's ceiling, you'll be quite surprised that it is indeed boring, with only tiles, lights, and occasional ventilation systems. It would be nice if people would take the time to actually read my posts before replying and assuming that i have no clue what i'm talking about.

Kthx.

I like the style in these shots. The lack of detail on the ceiling doesn't bother me too much, but if you want to add more, think about adding vents like Fusion mentioned, support beams, or possibly more structural damage like in your first shot (cracks or missing bricks). I assume you don't want to add any more light sources in order to have more ceiling detail, but you could consider light fixtures that are broken or unpowered.

Darkfyre said:

Don't know about you but that's a favorite past-time of mine. Anytime I'm out I always find myself pulling out random tiles, but never, NEVER ones that are together. It would break their little tile hearts. Just take the loner tiles.

I used to do this at school on the wall tiles. they were little ass square tiles that you could pick at, and were covering the whole school. THey had some zig-zag designs on them.

Oh, and I love the shadows in your map. Thats awesome looking.