Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Doctor Who

Did anyone see this weekend's episode of Doctor Who? I noticed a couple of times that they used the Doom door opening/closing sound effect. This by itself isn't very exciting, because it's well known that the Doom sound effects come from libraries of sound effects. However, the plot itself was strangely reminiscent of the Doom story, which made me wonder if the use of the sound effect was somehow deliberate.

Huh, the one I watched was about the weakest link, that's weird. Guess we get our episodes after you guys.

I don't get this show here, but that synopsis sounds pretty cool. I will have to find a way to see these 2 episodes :)

Epyo said:

Huh, the one I watched was about the weakest link, that's weird. Guess we get our episodes after you guys.

By almost a year it sounds like.

And i also mentioned it here:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36404&pagenumber=3

That episode was fucking scary, i couldnt sleep last night, i couldnt look at my cat stomping across the room in case it was the devil... i got more nightmares from that than i did from Creep, The Descent or even Doom 3 itself. And that Russel T Davies bloke always seems so nice and posh in the interviews....

Yeah, and the pic with "We must feed" under it from your link looks a lot like the head of a mancubus(from Doom 3). Oh and, anyway you can post an audio clip of the door sound effect from the show?

Man, I freaked when I heard the door sound; I was thinking "That sound doesn't belong here, where have I heard it before?" :) It also seemed too much of a coincidence that the story is basically The Doctor vs The Devil. I know the Doctor has of late become better at exterminating things than even the Daleks were, but killing the Devil will be a bit more challenging than wiping over a tape :)

baronofhell said:

Yeah, and the pic with "We must feed" under it from your link looks a lot like the head of a mancubus(from Doom 3).

Without question (to me anyway) those things (The Ood) are based on D&D Ilithid/Mind Flayers.

Looks to me like some crazy Lovecraft monsters. "In the Mouth of Madness" anyone? Very similar.

Epyo said:

Enjay said:

By almost a year it sounds like.

yeah, we're coming up on the season finale of the cristopher eccleston series. I'm hoping it comes back next year so I can see that episode. sounds nice and freaky

Enjay said:

Without question (to me anyway) those things (The Ood) are based on D&D Ilithid/Mind Flayers.

God help them (or Devil help them?) if they ever run into Bernard Matthews.

deathbringer said:

And i also mentioned it here:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36404&pagenumber=3

That episode was fucking scary, i couldnt sleep last night, i couldnt look at my cat stomping across the room in case it was the devil... i got more nightmares from that than i did from Creep, The Descent or even Doom 3 itself. And that Russel T Davies bloke always seems so nice and posh in the interviews....

It wasn't that scary.... But yeah. it was alot like doom. With the satan in space. My friends agree

Though my brother says it's more event horison (Can't spell it =/)

I saw a picture of the monster the Doctor is about to face in the Daily Star (i didnt want to see it but they put it on a whole page, so i saw it when i turned over). It looks JUST like the Doom 3 Cyberdemon!, only much, much bigger. And probably with no R/L...

yeah there is also a tardis level meant to go with those. it's empty and ok for dm, until you open one door and you get a boss shooter. hen you get a tardis full of baddies. the sfx in the dr. who wad is great I have the tardis engine as my windows start sound ripped from that wad.

I saw the second episode tonight (wedding on Saturday), the demon had a strong resemblance to the Doom 3 Cyberdemon, though i suppose it didnt really look "exactly" like it, for a start it had no cybernetic parts, it did have more elaborate horns, could breathe fire and was far, far bigger, the size of a tower block. (SPOILERS follow)

By the time the Doctor meets the demon it is just a chained, snarling beast, its intelligent mind has been transferred to the guy with all the funny writing over him. The Doctor works out it has been imprisoned inside the planet, and if it escapes its prison the planet will fall into a black hole (it is held in orbit around the black hole by two vases on pillars). He works out that the demon has transferred its mind into the posessed guy, who is now in a rocket leaving the planet (the surviving crew from the moonbase, and Rose, are also onboard, beliving the doctor to be dead), so breaks the vases and causes the planet and rocket to be sucked into the black hole. The Doctor sits back and resigns himself to death, but then realises he is sitting against the TARDIS, so gets inside and pulls the rocket free. Meanwhile the posessed guy has been blown out of the rocket by Rose and also falls into the black hole.

(END OF SPOILERS!)

In the "Doctor Who Confidential" documentary (this is a series of DVD-Extra like shows that runs in tandem with the main series) they show various designs made by all manner of people working on the show for the look of the monster, some look more Doomish than others, while others look like nothing from doom (one looked like a horned Grim Reaper/Hoodie). Maybe the Doom 3 resemblance was actually a coincidence after all...

Also doom door sounds where once again in abundance in the second episode, one scene featured the opening and closing sounds in sucesssion 5 or 6 times, and also another scene contained the door sounds from PSX doom! None of these sounds actually signified a door opening or closing though...

TheDarkArchon said:

Eidolon

Agreed. I thought he looked very much like that.

The Doctor Who confidential said the look was done by one of the artists who draws Slaine for 2000AD. No mention was made of trying to get a Doom (or Hexen) look.