Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ebon

How would a fourth boss for Ultimate Doom be like?

UDoom has 4 episodes but only 3 bosses (baron, cyber and (poorly armed) spider). In the case of making a Doom I megawad I'd probably dispatch an (all-)new ultimate boss for episode 4 - which btw WON'T BE THE ICON OF SIN.
So what do you think it should be? Either from your imagination or from a doom.wad E4M8 standpoint (Myself really expected to meet yet another spider back then).

My imagination: The Unholy Ghost.

How about something along the lines of a Mancubus only with chest armor (for a drastically reduced chance of pain) and a shorter firing sequence?

That or some sort of Imp King, heh.

When I ordered DOOM to id years ago I didn't know about the existence of a four episode, when I found "The Ultimate DOOM, plus an all new episode four" I were like "coool" I really expected a diferent boss for Thy Flesh, I somehow expected some kind of four legged monster with some familiarities with a wild pig, but very demonic, yeah I know that's retarded.

Actualy something like that red demon from the "episode four artwork" (the one that was used in the cover for the DOOM Wad Station Cds), for sprites something like the Diaboloist from Demon Eclipse, little more distant from the archvile, and with only one (and less sofisticated) attack.

It would be fitting to have a boss based on the Guardian creature from Doom 3's Hell level; a four-legged bigass bull thing with the horns and shoots fireballs; but for classic doom's sake take out the whole 'hit the weakpoint of the creature for MASSIVE DAMAGE!' thingy.

I'd probably also go with something from DOOM II but heavily modified, especially in terms of attack logic. Like an archvile that casts roving clouds of flames and summons monsters from thin air rather than resurrecting them. Stuff like that...

Quasar said:

I'd probably also go with something from DOOM II but heavily modified, especially in terms of attack logic. Like an archvile that casts roving clouds of flames and summons monsters from thin air rather than resurrecting them. Stuff like that...

Agreed, modified arch viles make great bosses..

heh, I read that comic before, it's hilarious. Of course Stalin would need his Marshal's Baton to be a fully effective boss :p

Quasar said:

Sounds like Doom3.

Well as I said, I've thought about using the Unholy Ghost, a four-times bigger Hexen Ghost that essentially flies, walks through walls and can only be killed by rocket blasts :)

kristus said:

Sounds like Doom3.

True, but I was actually thinking more in terms of things that could be done by utilizing Heretic and Hexen codepointer functions in DOOM ;)

Amaster - Yeah. I like your "Spiderdemon" =)

Maybe a "Spiderbus". A mancubus with a spiderdemons legs and chaingun?

That looks alot like the Cyber Mastermind from the monster recource wad :)
Only difference is it has two rocket launchers instead of one.

An floating Archvile like the Afrit maybe.

The first time I saw the Cyberdemon / Spiderdemon cross, was for Beyond Doom, by Anthony Galica.

I reckon Eriance's suped up spider would have been good (as seen in "Sapphire"). I remember the lack of new anything other than levels in Episode IV being a real disappointment. A new boss would have cured that. Hell, some new textures (more than just a sky dammit) or some tunes would have helped.

Mind you, much against popular opinion, I also think the Episode 4 levels were pretty shitty. It's always felt like a tacked-on affair, poorly thought through, with no relevance or continuity to the main game and of worse quality than many third party wads - even from the time. It doesn't look or feel like Doom and it's a style I don't like. For me, Doom is Episodes 1-3. Episode 4 is an irrelevant mission pack to justify the repackaging and reselling of the game in a new box. At least id did the decent thing and allowed you to upgrade a full 3 episode game to a 4 episode one with a patch. Of course, I probably bought about 3 or 4 copies of it various forms anyway. :roll:

Enjay said:
It's always felt like a tacked-on affair, poorly thought through, with no relevance or continuity to the main game and of worse quality than many third party wads - even from the time.

Yes, it's a "multi-author PWAD style set" slapped in without much thought in regard to the game in general, but you think all the maps in the episode were bad? I'd say that Willits' map is inconsistent and not much good to play, and that Anderson's is somewhat weak for the episode, but Romero's and McGee's contributions were good or better, and Green's were decent.

Neil said:

How about something along the lines of a Mancubus only with chest armor (for a drastically reduced chance of pain) and a shorter firing sequence?

Quasar said:

These are the two ideas that sound best to me. I would like to see both of them, even just in a resource WAD if not as a new E4 boss. An armored Mancubus would be awesome.

How about a cybie with a BFG? Colored slightly different to differentiate it from the normal cyb.

Amaster said:

That cyber mastermind doesn't sound bad. To make one which shoots both rockets and pellets. Heh, reminds me of the Death Knight from Wolfenstein Spear of Destiny. Nice.[quote][i]

Enjay said:

Mind you, much against popular opinion, I also think the Episode 4 levels were pretty shitty. It's always felt like a tacked-on affair, poorly thought through, with no relevance or continuity to the main game and of worse quality than many third party wads - even from the time. It doesn't look or feel like Doom and it's a style I don't like. For me, Doom is Episodes 1-3. Episode 4 is an irrelevant mission pack to justify the repackaging and reselling of the game in a new box. At least id did the decent thing and allowed you to upgrade a full 3 episode game to a 4 episode one with a patch. Of course, I probably bought about 3 or 4 copies of it various forms anyway.

Everyone has his/her opinion ;) I DELIGHT in episode 4.
In some ways it feels like what Plutonia is to Doom 2 (particularly levels 1,2,3 and 6). With the exception of level 4 (btw, made by McGee) I found all the episode seamless, quite a rewarding experience (just when you thought things got warm and comfortable, hop level 6 rocks in your face). The levels aforementioned were (imo) more intense than Doom 2.
It was shameful the boss-thing was still a (weakened) spider mastermind. If only it had a BFG9000...

The huge assortment of goodies, found in E4M8's pool of water, always made me think I was gonna face Baba Yaga (or Cloantza how we call her...), so here you go.

OmegaJ4 said:

The hammerhound seems to be quite popular

Let's hope more people'll use these bosses now on. We need a fourth boss==we actually need a SECOND BOSS a lot of times! After the Cyberdemon, nothing really strikes the player enough.

DeumReaper said:

It would be fitting to have a boss based on the Guardian creature from Doom 3's Hell level; a four-legged bigass bull thing with the horns and shoots fireballs; but for classic doom's sake take out the whole 'hit the weakpoint of the creature for MASSIVE DAMAGE!' thingy.

Nah. DooM3 resurection of evil that flying bat what have a skull face.