Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ebon

How would a fourth boss for Ultimate Doom be like?

How about some kind of Arch-Vile king? It could be to the Arch-Viles what the Spider Mastermind is to the Arachnotrons. That would probably make for a cool boss!
You can make it summon monsters to fight for it, but in a cool, Arch-Viley way. Add in an even more awesome flame burst attack and you have a very cool 4th boss.

Soap on a Rope said:
But yeah, the hammerhound is indeed cool and boss-worthy. [/B]

What in the world is that? Looks a little bit stupid to me.

I think it'll be preaty cool if at the start of the battle between you and the boss, that eventually the floors will start to sink one by one so you'll have less room to maneuver.

The boss could be like the 3 headed monster that the Divine Comedy described Satan as... Each head having a different attack representing the 3 things they represent. The basic challenge is dodging everything and trying to land a shot.

You can add a weapon that appears only on the boss level, and say that to actually harm the actual soul of the boss, you have to use this artifact or something. You can change the weapon however you want to fit the special strategy and gameplay.

...or you can just make one tough ass monster that has deadly attacks and looks cool as hell... not much you can do really...

*Edit: What about the Commander guy you were supposed to kill in the begining? You can say he's gone to hell and he's there to confront you. He can have weapons like the marine does.

I think the fourth boss may be a cyber but he emitt BFG energy ball. Also he is combined the spidermind.

How about a Commander Keen armed with a Minigun with 4 barrels and an attached BFG?

Or better yet, a former general! He could be armed with one of All Hell is Breaking Looses's Street sweeper things. Only it fires like a super shotgun instead of just a regular shotgun. :P

i liked the arch-vile ideas. but maybe we can give this "arch-vile king" more elemental powers than just fire. like have him summon a lightning bolt to strike him and then he channels it to his fingertips where the bolts lash out at you. or he could form it into a sphere and launch them like the cacodemon, only more powerful.

he could stomp his foot and create an earthquake to thrust you away.
he could also do the same thing only an enormous fault forms in the ground and monsters spawn out of it.

or he could summon tornadoes to pick you up and move you around like in heretic.

While your extended super Archvile ideas are cool, they would require extensive new graphic frames for the monsters, and getting anybody to finish a sprite in this community is less likely than your chance of being killed by a meteorite at the exact moment you're writing a post on Doomworld suggesting that it's unlikely to be killed by a meteorite.

An archvile the size of a cyberdemon. It not only respawns monsters but also spawns them.
It would shoot flaming balls of fire, not like the other monsters. It would actually look like a ball on fire. The fireballs would be almost as fast as rockets and 5 would be shot at a time.
It would have its regular fire attack also.
It would also have a superfire attack, that makes a small halo around it and takes a bit longer to cast and disintegrates you, no matter how high your health is.
The superfire attack should also be stoppable, like regular archie attacks by 2 close range well aimed SSG shots, or a few rockets or a BFG.

Quasar said:

While your extended super Archvile ideas are cool, they would require extensive new graphic frames for the monsters, and getting anybody to finish a sprite in this community is less likely than your chance of being killed by a meteorite at the exact moment you're writing a post on Doomworld suggesting that it's unlikely to be killed by a meteorite.

i would do it if i knew how.

Well, I worked out a working decorate version of it with ZDOOM (v 1.96x), using normal arch-vile graphics.
If you can provide the graphics for it, we can distribute it. I'd love to see what you'd come up with!

my only set-back with making arch-vile sprites is that i am already in the CC3 project. as soon as i finish that, i wouldn't mind learning how to make custom monster sprites. 'till then it may take awhile.

EDIT: one more thing i thought of is maybe the arch-vile could perform another way of spawning monsters. it would be like his fire attack only the fire would spread out on the floor and make that star-in-the-circle thing and monsters could spawn from it.

using the star-in-the-circle technique he could probably shape-shift into another monster (not a boss) for a short period of time, or he could use it to teleport. of course he could also use it as a short range fire attack.

Terra-jin said:

How about some kind of Arch-Vile king? It could be to the Arch-Viles what the Spider Mastermind is to the Arachnotrons. That would probably make for a cool boss!
You can make it summon monsters to fight for it, but in a cool, Arch-Viley way. Add in an even more awesome flame burst attack and you have a very cool 4th boss.

Kind of like this?? I called him the Lord Vile, although Vile King has a nice ring to it.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13078

I think his flame throwing attack is the coolest part about him. His homing mean-death-faces are nice and he also summons normal archviles to help him.

I created 4 versions of this guy and a demo map, so you can view each version by going into the teleporter in the corner of the map.

-----

Personally, for a new boss, I'd like to see a pre-cybered cyberdemon with magic powers and fireball thingies.

Well obviously it would be something with a baffling amount of hp that didn't take splash damage and had an awesome weapon that would make the cyberdemon's rocket launcher look like a child's toy. It would look like the offspring of a cacodemon and an arch-vile, and to top it all off, would have this cool blade (think Baraka from Mortal Kombat) that it could stab you with at close range for a one-hit kill. That would be pretty sweet

Vegeta said:

When I ordered DOOM to id years ago I didn't know about the existence of a four episode, when I found "The Ultimate DOOM, plus an all new episode four" I were like "coool" I really expected a diferent boss for Thy Flesh, I somehow expected some kind of four legged monster with some familiarities with a wild pig, but very demonic, yeah I know that's retarded.

yea that's almost what i thought, when i first got doom it was already 4 episodes and i figured that's how it is so that's why no new e4 boss pissed me off. i thought theree were gonna be 3 bosses, all the ones on the green face walls. didnt realize till later it was a tack-on job.

Enjay said:

Mind you, much against popular opinion, I also think the Episode 4 levels were pretty shitty. It's always felt like a tacked-on affair, poorly thought through, with no relevance or continuity to the main game and of worse quality than many third party wads - even from the time. It doesn't look or feel like Doom and it's a style I don't like. For me, Doom is Episodes 1-3. Episode 4 is an irrelevant mission pack to justify the repackaging and reselling of the game in a new box. At least id did the decent thing and allowed you to upgrade a full 3 episode game to a 4 episode one with a patch. Of course, I probably bought about 3 or 4 copies of it various forms anyway. :roll:

wow.. harsh!! i dig e4 but your points are valid. dunno what i'd think if i first got the 3ep ver, doom's always been 4 for me so i never questioned it. you gotta admit map6 is spiff tho

Kennychan said:

I think the fourth boss may be a cyber but he emitt BFG energy ball. Also he is combined the spidermind.

I made that boss on summer vaciation. Without I read your message! Thats weard.

Ebon said:

The huge assortment of goodies, found in E4M8's pool of water, always made me think I was gonna face Baba Yaga (or Cloantza how we call her...), so here you go.

Is baba jaga that old women who has a house with chichen legs????

Yeah, I think so, though it might work in Doom altogether. If I'm not wrong, she plays a fatalist role in the stories, so she'd better be scripted if anything is to be done.