Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

What the hell is wrong with my internet?

Half of the websites I try to load just wont load...

Turned off the modem and pc and back on again... same problem.

Facts which may be useful to you:

I use winxp, firefox, IE6, broadband. Some websites work, and I can download files and stuff with not problems, msn and other such things work fine... It seems to be a purely HTTP thing.

Considering I havent messed with settings in time recently, I have no idea wtf is wrong.

If you open your PC you will see that a transistor on your motherboard got jammed. You can fix this by executing a traceroute to this transistor.

Over the years I've had a couple similar episodes with broadband services, where 99% of the internet would go offline yet I could still use chat apps like AIM or IRC perfectly fine. In those cases, different servers at the ISP handled different types of connections and sometimes individual servers (usually the HTTP-related ones) would go down for maintenance while the others remained working. iirc one of the services I used had a local HTTP server and a long-distance one. Occasionally one would work while the other was down. It was usually fixed within the day though. If the problem goes on longer, I'd suggest calling the ISP and finding out if they're having troubles on their end. If not, they may still hook you up with somebody who can help run diagnostics on your end.

woh that's weird, I had this exact same thing yesterday, exactly half of the websites in my favorite places worked, and exactly half didn't.

Zoost said:

If you open your PC you will see that a transistor on your motherboard got jammed. You can fix this by executing a traceroute to this transistor.

Note to self: upload this to the BOFH Excuse Server.

woh that's weird, I had this exact same thing yesterday, exactly half of the websites in my favorite places worked, and exactly half didn't.

666 yesterday.

Satan playing with our lives :(

Or it could just be the internet king jamming a fork in the servers to mess with your head :)

This will happen sometimes! the internet does and WILL break. I remember a recent Backbone failure that konked out one of OFTC's irc networks. netsplit ahoy.