Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CX1

[bug] 3D viewer errors

Tried the new 1.68 beta version (build 383), and it seems that DoomBuilder still have problems when drawing tiny sectors in 3D. It seems it is mixing walls, or something, creating strange artefacts.
You can just ignore them, but if you want the project to be clean, it would be better if the artefacts were rare.

Here is a sample problem:
3D view: http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~danilews/artefact-1.jpg (there should be no black stripe going accros the screen)
2D view: http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~danilews/artefactmap.jpg (The arrow shows from where, approximately, the previous screen was taken)
Example WAD (map MAP01): http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~danilews/artefact.wad (to check there is no error in map construction)

Not big deal, but sometimes, it may sum to something ocward (taken from the map I am currently working on): http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~danilews/artefact-final.jpg

Well the screenshots are down, so that doesnt help :\ But reading your description I too think you should just try another nodebuilder. Cracks in floors are often caused by a nodebuilder not creating a perfect convex subsector.

Strange... the links work perfectly from my browser...
I'll try different nodebuilder, but there are no cracks in the game - only in DoomBuiler's 3D preview.

The screenshot work now, your site was down earlier. In the first screenshots it simply looks like cracks caused by inaccuracies in the nodebuilder, no big deal. The last screenshot looks like your video card is having issues. Maybe try updating DirectX or your video drivers (see manafacturer website).

I have DirectX 9.0c, and updated my video card driver (GeForce FX 5200, driver version 8.4.2.1, dated 2006-03-09) and it isn't any better :(
Tried different nodebuilders provided with DoomBuilder (zdbsp, ZenNode, bsp-w32). Some of the cracks were corrected, but not all. I even applied slow, (and thus more accurate I think) method of building. But strange artefacts are still present...

I just wonder why those problems are not present in the game itself. After all, they are processing the same data, aren't they?

The game most likely does not render the graphics the same way Doom Builder does and most sourceports even use software rendering.

IMO it's a problem of Doom Builder (though it looks strange enough) I observed this bug few times on two different computers with various nodebuilders I think, but it never appears in any Doom ports. It disappears after addition of new sectors somewhere not far from this place.

But I do not exclude, that the reason is my overclocked Radeon (from 9800se to 9800pro)
CX1, do you have overclocked video also?

EDIT: I've opened my old level in Doom Builder on my work computer (not overclocked)
See screenshot
Now I am absolutely assured that it not a problem of my Radeon.

The cracks in the floors and ceilings of your second screenshot are definitely nodebuilder inaccuracies. There are so many of them in that screenshot because you use so many lines at arbitrary angles (your pillars).

I think the polygon across the screen in the first screenshot are caused somewhere in the pipeline between DB and your screen (directx -> video driver -> video card). DB definitely does not make these polygons (you can tell because the texture is all streched out and DB uses a simple linear formula for texture coordinates related to map coordinates). I'm afraid there is nothing I can do about that.

My videocard is not overclocked, and I have no problems whatsoever with other programs heavily using video graphics card (ie. Unreals, Q4)
As I said, my DirectX and video drivers are up-to-date.

Anyway, thank you CodeImp, that you looked carefully to the problem. If nothing can be done - let it be like it is. The editor is still great.

btw. I observed that when you copy a Thing, it's attributes (i.e. Thing Tag) are not copied. Is it intentional?

There are no problems with it in Slade. I have opened the same map in Slade without nodes rebuilding and it has displayed all correctly after building GL nodes with glbsp.exe.

CX1: Thats an options: see "Copy effects and tags when pasting" in the Editing options.

CX1: Thats an options: see "Copy effects and tags when pasting" in the Editing options.

My fault... guess it was written somewhere in the manual, and I missed...
thanks