Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Th0r

10 textures project?

Ok so i was thinking, there is that 10 sectors map thing so why not a 10 textures project? The idea is to see how creative people can get by only using 10 textures. Map size can be any size ans skytextures dont count to your 10. Just a suggestion, and i have never done anything like this so im not sure where to go with this, just kinda throwing it out there. let me know what ya think.

Tango said:

I had a few ideas that I thought were kinda cool, so I figured I'd share them here and see what you guys thought.

2 Texture/Flat - Mappers would only be allowed to use a limited amount of textures and flats. Something like 2 would be good IMO.

1 Weapon - Still thinking about this idea, but maybe something where only a rocket launcher could be used might be interesting.

Thoughts?

=P I came up with the idea a month ago or so. I think something like 2 textures would be more challenging, since 10 could be too easy for some people.

2 sectors 2 flats and only 2 types of monsters allowed and maybe just 2 sectors also.
Alot of limitations but I might try something like this myself someday.

The only project that really imposed limitations that i found interesting was the 10 sectors project.. the others seemed a lot easier to pull off... i mean, working with 10 sectors and building a level is a severe limitation, even with sector saving.. 10 textures would give you a lot of options, since most levels are themed with only 2-4 basic textures..

Aagreed. If it was something like a 2 textures & 2 flats only wad, then that would cause some interesting and creative level design. Plus I feel that would HUGELY emphasize creative lighting!

Well then lets do that, im loving the idea thus far, so lets get something together.

The rules:

You can only use two textures and two flats, the map size can be any size. Sky flats don't count as 1-2. The maps should be zdoom and or skulltag compatible. Custom textures are allowed but don't include a huge wad for just one or two textures. Map must be a coop map compatible for 1-4 player coop games. Also, switch and key color textures don't count as 1/2 of the limit. Nor do doors or teleport pads, but the must be used ONLY for what they are intended for, (key door color identification, switches, doors.)
LightTextures will be allowed, but not too many, one or two here or there is good enough.

map01:
map02:
map03:
map04:
map05:
map06:
map07:
map08:
map09:
map10:
map11:
map12:
map13:
map14:
map15:
map16:
map17:
map18:
map19:
map20:
map21:
map22:
map23:
map24:
map25:
map26:
map27:
map28:
map29:
map30:
map31:
map32:

Im thinking of if i should allow the use of middletextures such as gates and other see through textures to be counted as 1/2 of the textures or not.

Th0r said:

Im thinking of if i should allow the use of middletextures such as gates and other see through textures to be counted as 1/2 of the textures or not.

I think everything except skies should count. You can make vertical bars with sectors, you know. ;P

Job said:

10 things.

nah, the problem with that is the maps would be extreamly bland, I want the maps to be simple texturewise but not a total eyesore.

Light textures probably shouldn't count towards the texture count, as that should be a huge emphasis of the design, perhaps? Or I guess you could get creative with Thing Lights or lighting from the sky as a light source...

Well i sorta made an example map for y'all. It was done quick, just to show y'all what I'm talking about. Also, i was thinking, sure you can use the light textures, just don't use them that much, only where they will make the greatest impact. I was thinking more on the lines of light things and skylights. Also, I'm not going to participate in this one, as i would like to see as many peoples as i can, rather than my own.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22680099/Monochrome.wad.html

I'll upload a yousendit.com link once i get the email.

Th0r said:

nah, the problem with that is the maps would be extreamly bland, I want the maps to be simple texturewise but not a total eyesore.

I don't know, I think being limited to 4 textures makes things bland in most cases.

Glad to see that you're getting this started, but I suggest refining the rules a little bit (but of course, this is just a suggestion):
- Only 2 Textures can be used
---Door Textures count as one of the two
---Switches do not count, but must be used as a switch (not for decoration)
---Keyed door textures don't count as one of the two
---Any textures used for a skybox do not count as one of the two
- Only 2 Flats may be used
---Teleport pads don't count as one of the two
---Sky doesn't count as one of the two
I actually didn't change the rules that much, but I think that the little changes I made would be more appropriate. =)

I think door textures shouldn't count as one of the two textures available! Maybe you could use just one of the door textures.

Tango, while i see what your saying, i still think that the rules i have so far are good.

And for the doors, lets make it only be the same door texture everytime, not different textures.

And spork, i know they will be bland, but its more of a focus on creativity with what little you have. Lighting will be a huge factor in this one.

And again, if anyone wants to sign up let me know

Th0r said:

And for the doors, lets make it only be the same door texture everytime, not different textures.

And then people should just make a texture like AV's GSTFONT1 and laugh at the limitations.

Not to sound pushy, but we are talking about all of these rules for the project but nobody has even singed up for it.

Belial said:

And then people should just make a texture like AV's GSTFONT1 and laugh at the limitations.

Hehe... now I see what you meant yesterday in IRC. >=D

Th0r said:

Not to sound pushy, but we are talking about all of these rules for the project but nobody has even singed up for it.

Are you really surprised that there aren't many who would work on something that will inevitably be ugly? This 'project' is just stupid. A good map lives from good use of textures and your 'rules' effectively prevent that.

You could make a giant texture (256x128) with various textures in it... if you know what I mean...! ;) He, he! =D

Tried to make an map with two textures and two flats yesterday and I ditched it cause it looked horrible.
Not an very good idea now ive tried this myself.

dutch devil said:

Tried to make an map with two textures and two flats yesterday and I ditched it cause it looked horrible.
Not an very good idea now ive tried this myself.

Seconded, if 10 textures and 10 flats were there however maybe I could've done this.

That's what i was thinking in the first place. *read first post*

Maybe we could still do that? But i dunno, i kinda lost interest now that I'm working on a new map.

Maybe if a lot of people take interest in a 10 texture wad we can do it.

10 sector contest is a classic, 1024x1024 was fine, 1 monster sounds fun, but 10 textures is meh, you can do a lot without thinking much. It'd look like normal maps just a bit crappy. And the idea of making it Zdoom only ruin it the most as there's no reason for that but your preference for that port.
Stronghold in the other hand sounds much more interesting, has a creative limitation (follow the gameplay style), it's going to be for Zdoom only, but with a justified reason.