Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid Airbag

FIFA World Cup 2006

I am an Englishman, and as someone once said; every night I get down on my knees and thank God for making me English. I hate football, tolerate the world cup and with all my spirit support Germany.

Then I argue with maudlin england fans when they lose.

I hope Germany wins this time so there's more venom to inject.

The USA have got record crowds supporting thier "sarcer" team at this World Cup, now that 20 people have turned up (ok, if you include the 11 on the field, and the manager)

Unfortunatley i missed the first England game because i was at a wedding, and didnt find out the score of Poland against Ecuador (i got them in the lab sweepstake) until just now, but things are looking up

Poor Iran; they lost pretty badly. Not (good) enough physical training, it seems, since they got slower and less responsive all along the second half, while the Mexicans could run without much trouble through the whole game.

Way to go Japan... You were winning and doing a great job, and then, out of nowhere... Australia scores 3 goals in a matter of 15 minutes.

You broke my heart Japan.

Alboroto said:
Way to go Japan... You were winning and doing a great job, and then, out of nowhere... Australia scores 3 goals in a matter of 15 minutes.

You broke my heart Japan.

GAIJIN SMASH!!!

Portugal 1 - 0 Angola
(Pauleta 4')

Lousy win.

But still a win.

Brazil will be paying very shortly. I really hope they win by far, because that will mean great celebration with a LOT of naked chicks on TV.

I'm sort of neutral. I'm not into any sport really, skateboarding is probably the only sport I got into which I sucked at.

Anyways, what scares me about World Cup is the nationalism that ensues from it. My country is the worst (S. Korea). I think the nationalism is a possible source of the violence between spectators. It really bothers me because I'm not really the nationalist type...more unversalist.

And a question...

Is there something wrong with me? When I see other guys watch sports, especially American football, they stand up from their seats and start screaming and cheering cause 'their' team made a goal. I think watching sports is fun (I usually hate playing it) but I don't get to that level of excitement where I need to start screaming but being a guy I feel I should. If a team makes a goal or something the maximum length I will go to is saying 'Yes!' but not screaming.

I think it's the whole machismo thing that turns me off.

And then again Skeletor, a lot of people out there can't understand a guy who saves money for months, waits on a 12 hour line at a store and buys the newest game console.

Everybody has a passion, and (the world cup) is a very easy one. You just pick a country to cheer for and wait for the results. There isn't anything you can do to make them win or lose, but there you are, talking about "your team" or "your country" (I'm Ecuadorian, and I cheer both for my country and Germany). Both of them are mine and both of them give me happiness and sorrow.

As I said, you could sit and enjoy, or you could pretend you are doing something by jumping, screaming, chanting, painting your face and that way feel part of whats going on.

But, that's my point of view...

You would think Brazil win in a more stylish fashion. But then again Ronaldo is overweight(allegedly).

Football fans can be too passionate at times. I bet the whole of England will erupt into riots if they lose to Trinidad & Tobago. Such is the depth of passion for football.

XXoXX said:

Football fans can be too passionate at times. I bet the whole of England will erupt into riots if they lose to Trinidad & Tobago. Such is the depth of passion for football.

While Scotland yell "SHOVE IT RIGHT UP YOUR ARSE". XD

As for me, well, I'm not too bother aside wanting England to get hammered horribly so I can laugh at the medias pathetic bleating whines afterwards.

Time to see Germany vs. Poland...

If germany wins this one, that gives us a hope of getting in the next round.

I'm passionate about baseball, American football, soccer, and even college basketball to a certain extent, and I absolutely refuse to apologize for my stance. Nor am I going to even attempt to defend it against someone whose complex against sports runs very deep, perhaps as a result of "picked-last-for-kickball" syndrome.

In any case, Radhi Jaidi's goal for Tunisia was massive.

Also I'm absolutely gleeful that the United States got hammered the way they did. I've been called all sorts of nasty things because even though I was born in the U.S. and have lived here my entire life, I prefer to support the Irish team because of my heritage.

Normally, I'd sort of root for the U.S. to do well, but not really care either way. But the way the U.S. fans are acting makes me want the team to crash and burn.

Alboroto said:
If germany wins this one, that gives us a hope of getting in the next round.

You must have hopped all over the place cheering with that last minute (literally) winning goal. It was like the game was locked down (not uncommon when central European teams play each other) the whole while and during the last 10 minutes the Germans went berserk, getting that ball in at the last opportunity.

hmm i have little to day about the world cup, although it did come to Chicago in 1994 if memory is correct. A lot of people say that the US doesn't care about it that much, and i think they're right, but there are some soccer people in the US. What comes to my mind is soccer moms.

Kid Airbag said:

In any case, Radhi Jaidi's goal for Tunisia was massive.

He plays for my home team here in England, and yes it WAs sweet :D

fodders said:

He plays for my home team here in England, and yes it WAs sweet :D

So you're a Bolton man, eh?

I chose Jaidi on my World Cup fantasy team just because I thought it would be fun to have a Tunisian player, and he was one of the few I'd ever heard of before because of his club career. That goal was huge for me and it's made me an active supporter of Tunisia to progress from their group.

I still hope T&T finish second in the group and get to advance to the elimination round, which I think they can do if they beat Paraguay. The draw vs Sweden was huge for them.

Ecuador 3 Costa Rica 0

The team did it!!!

For the first time in our history. This will be a day to never forget in the history of soccer.

For those who wonder about the meaning of the yellow mask when Ecuador scored the third goal: Otilino Tenorio, one of the best players in our team used to that after scoring a goal. He died last year in a car crash.

To us, that yellow mask means a lot.

And BTW, we are ahead on this gruop

America has no chance, because Taylor Twellman was cut, he's the best player in the world according to me. Yep, the Tom Brady of the New England Revolution.

gatewatcher said:

America has no chance, because Taylor Twellman was cut, he's the best player in the world according to me. Yep, the Tom Brady of the New England Revolution.

What Twellman's not a huge fag

Clint Dempsey, on the other hand...

And yeah, congrats, alboroto. I hope you guys stick it to Germany in the next game too.

I'm really happy for our players. Most of them come froma very poor zone of a small town called Chota, and with the money they get from playing in clubes they are building schools and improving the live conditions of the area.

Our goverment sucks, and the players give hope to the country.

Kid Airbag said:

What Twellman's not a huge fag

He's also not windshield fodder, lol.

But really, Twellman has heart, which is more than I can say for the awful Donovan-lead performance I watched Monday.

Enjay said:

Big long rant

Enjay's custom title says:
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL

hahaha, how long has that been there?

Enjay's custom title says:
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL

I think he should keep it forever.

And here's to anyone from a country that's sucking in the World Cup: Canada isn't even in it because we must suck so bad at football. I'm just glad I'm not a football fanatic, otherwise I'd die every four years.

GooberMan said:

hahaha, how long has that been there?

Heh, not long. Last time I noticed my title it was still the default "forum staple". Someone has a sense of humour.

I feel special. :)