Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mawcor624

Doom on LAN

There are only a couple multiplayer doom ports that I know of, ZDaemon and Skulltag, but I was wondering if there was either some sort of launcher for common ports or a another port with easy LAN setup

Doom95 or Deathmanager have the easiest setups I have seen.

however, with a minimal amount of effort, setting up prboom or zdoom is probably worth the effort for most DOOMers.

probably Playerconnector can do it, not entirely sure though.

Doomwire on the other hand can, just have your players from your lan connect to the lobby using the client, populate the client list and select them, click the host game tab, enter relevant settings (including lan ip address) and hit start. (you'll need chocolate-doom, but this can be downloaded from the doomwire website)

Doom Legacy got a easy to use ingame launcher for network games. And it's still got the best LAN network support of the ports I've tried.

I couldn't get ZDaemon to work for the life of me. The only thing we successfully launched was legacy because of the 'point and click' ease of use with multiplayer. Unfortunately, legacy doesn't run as smoothly as ZdoomGl or Jdoom, so it isn't as fun as it could be, but I guess it's the only option

Vavoom is good and easy to use, but has one major flaw: the player turns at walking speed while "always run" is activated.

mawcor624 said:
the player turns at walking speed while "always run" is activated.

That's usual in Doom; the turning speed is not affected by the "speed" key (or autorun), which only affects back and forth movement and strafing. If you've used an engine that behaves differently, it's abnormal.

In that case, either Vavoom turns slower than normal or every other engine is 'abnormal.' Zdoom, Legacy, Jdoom, and so on all turn more quickly in always run mode. Try Vavoom for yourself and you'll see the difference

myk said:

That's usual in Doom; the turning speed is not affected by the "speed" key (or autorun), which only affects back and forth movement and strafing. If you've used an engine that behaves differently, it's abnormal.

So you're saying chocolate doom is abnormal? I don't have vanilla installed anymore, but I'm pretty sure I remember turning faster when holding down the run key. Are you talking about keyboard turn speed or mouse turn speed? I'm talking about they keyboard.

exp(x) said:
Are you talking about keyboard turn speed or mouse turn speed? I'm talking about they keyboard.

Ah, okay, my bad if we're talking about the keyboard. Chocolate Doom seems fine; key turning is affected by the speed key while mouse turning is not.

kristus said:

And it's still got the best LAN network support of the ports I've tried.

It gets unstable after 12 or so players, as I noticed back in late 2002. Not sure if it's better nowadays, as I haven't got that many people to play at once at a LAN since then.

Yeah, I'm talking about keyboard; why would I use a mouse? I never have and I never will. Doom is meant to be played keyboard only; if you want to use a mouse, go get a new-age FPS (IMO). And yeah, Vavoom definitely turns at walking speed when always run is on, unlike the other ports, which makes it unplayable for me at least.

DooM has been played with a mouse by most of the DM players since 1995.

Impossible to get good on keyboard only is good enough incentive to learn how to use a mouse for most.

mawcor624 said:

Doom is meant to be played keyboard only

So why did id Software put mouse support in vanilla?

mawcor624 said:

Yeah, I'm talking about keyboard; why would I use a mouse? I never have and I never will. Doom is meant to be played keyboard only; if you want to use a mouse, go get a new-age FPS (IMO).

ROFL

DevastatioN said:

Impossible to get good on keyboard only is good enough incentive to learn how to use a mouse for most.

Indeed. For me it was being unable to beat Ep1 on NM using keyboard only.

exp(x) said:

So why did id Software put mouse support in vanilla?

Vanilla mouse support included moving the doomguy back and forth, so it's not exactly what I meant by 'playing with the mouse.' It's definitely possible to get good using the keyboard; I don't have much of a problem in UV with it. I might in DM, but then again, I play single and coop... I don't really like DM much.

mawcor624 said:
Doom is meant to be played keyboard only

All the intro demos in the classic DOOM games were recorded using the mouse. So if the game was made for the keyboard, why were the developers using the mouse and why did they enable it by default (aside from adding support itself)?

Vanilla mouse support included moving the doomguy back and forth, so it's not exactly what I meant by 'playing with the mouse.'

It's up to the users to apply a mouse driver that adjusts vertical sensitivity or a TSR like Novert if they don't feel comfortable with the back/forth movement.

Didn't Doom look for a certain mouse at startup? I seem to remember seeing message"Cyber(something) mouse not found when Doom starts up

fodders said:
Didn't Doom look for a certain mouse at startup? I seem to remember seeing message"Cyber(something) mouse not found when Doom starts up

Yeah, on my system it says:

I_StartupMouse
Mouse: detected
CyberMan: Wrong mouse driver - no SWIFT support (AX=53c1)
According to the Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ:

5D. What does the message about SWIFT support mean?
"CyberMan: Wrong mouse driver - no SWIFT support" is a normal startup message when no Logitech CyberMan(tm) controller is connected. It does not affect a regular mouse.

It's really not worth arguing about, I just prefer old-school keyboard to the freelook mouse innovation; what you do is entirely up to you.

mawcor624 said:
It's really not worth arguing about,

What was being argued was your statement about how the game was meant to be played by design. People then and again come up with the myth that DOOM was made for the keyboard, but that's wrong; it was made to be played with various configurations using the keyboard, the keyboard and mouse, or the keyboard and joystick.

I just prefer old-school keyboard to the freelook mouse innovation;

Freelook is the up and down movement, which standard DOOM does not have.

Basically, in DM games you need to use the mouse or you're a fool. It doesn't matter if turning with the keyboard is slower, you're gonna get your arse kicked if you DM with just the keyboard, no matter what port you use.

I think the easiest port to play LAN games on is ZDoom. The host computer just needs to run zdoom.exe with the switch
-host <number of players>
and the other players need to run it with the switch
-join <IP of host computer>

On the other hand, if you want to use ZDaemon or Skulltag (or csDoom) try using the LAN support in Internet Doom Explorer. I've never used it so I don't know how well it works but I would guess it's worth trying as IDE's the best launcher for net games.