Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

adios net neutrality

The vote is a defeat for Google, eBay and Amazon which wanted the net neutrality principle protected by law.

All three mounted vigorous lobbying campaigns prior to the vote in the House of Representatives.

[...]

Meg Whitman, eBay chief executive, e-mailed more than one million members of the auction site asking them to back the idea of net neutrality. Google boss Eric Schmidt called on staff at the search giant to support the idea, and film stars such as Alyssa Milano also backed the amendment.

The ending of net neutrality rules also spurred the creation of activism sites such as Save The Internet and Its Our Net.

Huh, somehow I missed all of this.

Meh. i dont think it's even worth ruffling a feather over at this point. but if need be we can allways go back to dial modems and bbs'ing.. who knows maybe an alternative/underground net will sprout from all this.

Lüt said:

Huh, somehow I missed all of this.

That's how it works. This sucks. Is there anything the US won't silver-tray to corporate America?

You do realize this has to pass before the Senate, that was just a vote by the House of Representatives.

I think my question is why should the americans get to fuck about with the internet, which is world-wide?

It's our internet too.

Unless I missed something here. Which I probably did.

We own the world, because our military will kick your ass. We have bases everywhere, we can kill you right where you sit quickly, we are the empire of babylon, bow before us.

AirRaid said:

I think my question is why should the americans get to fuck about with the internet, which is world-wide?

It's our internet too.

Unless I missed something here. Which I probably did.

Well, see, technically, the US "owns" the internet since we invented it. It's all really messy.

AirRaid said:

If Im not mistaken, this bill only affects people living in the US. American service providers will be able to dictate which sites can and cannot be reached through their services, but this does not necessarily affect individual hosts as far as a worldwide audience. This shouldnt affect users in other countries.

Amaster said:
If Im not mistaken, this bill only affects people living in the US. American service providers will be able to dictate which sites can and cannot be reached through their services, but this does not necessarily affect individual hosts as far as a worldwide audience. This shouldnt affect users in other countries.

Between local elites seeing the same benefits the US corporations are trying to exploit and the pressure of the US ISPs and government, things like this tend to affect more than just the US. But were this diseased piece of legislation implemented, I'm betting Europe and Canada, along with some other less influential countries, would pose a heavy opposition to its spread, as open Internet movements tend to be strong in these places.

Influence from other nations means nothing. The US has had its head up its arse for quite a while now. As an example, take a look at the decision to invade Iraq.

The decision to invade Iraq was not for reasons stated. The decision to invade Iraq was because Bush didn't like Hussein and his regime and he used 911 as an excuse to take him out. If 911 was the real reason for the war the US is now waging, we wouldn't be in Iraq, we would be in Saudi Arabia and Iran,

EDIT: Please delete my previous post, my mistake. Nevermind, somebody beat me to it.

HobbsTiger1 said:
Influence from other nations means nothing.

It's pretty clear from my post that I was talking about other countries applying similar laws locally, and the influence of the US's policies on other economies/countries.

The Internet is my life. If this bill gets passed then I would probably either move out of the country, start a reveloution, or simply shoot myself in the head if both of them fails....since I absoulty have no desire to live in America's dystopian Future that the U.S. Government ordainely planned for us.

Executive, Judicial, and Legislative branches - normally supposed to balance one another out. But for the last several years they've really been having a scream gangbanging the fuck out of all our asses.

Nightmare Doom said:

The Internet is my life. If this bill gets passed then I would probably either move out of the country, start a reveloution, or simply shoot myself in the head if both of them fails....since I absoulty have no desire to live in America's dystopian Future that the U.S. Government ordainely planned for us.

It won't be a big deal. Your government will only charge you a bit more for internet access, require you to watch a commercial when you load your browser, fill out a survey or two every day, install some intelligent-feedback content-rich software (including AOL and RealNetworks stuff), and mail in a summarized report of your browsing habits. I'm actually jealous that my country doesn't get me connected with the global community in this way.

AndrewB said:

It won't be a big deal. Your government will only charge you a bit more for internet access, require you to watch a commercial when you load your browser, fill out a survey or two every day, install some intelligent-feedback content-rich software (including AOL and RealNetworks stuff), and mail in a summarized report of your browsing habits.

You pretty much described a corperate police state there....(Lets just say if this shit does happen then I would probably never tauch another computer again except from other countries)

but there's also underground Internet browers aswell....if it ever happens

I have also grown suspicious that the U.S. Government's current behaviour towards Liberty share the same characteristics no different than that of China (The Chinese Government banned words such as "Freedom" "Democracy" "Anarcy" in their internet networks to prevent the Chinese people from uprising and possibly overthrowing them...Now the US Government is planning to do the same thing by "regulating" it...Lets not forget that the E.U. will also "regulate" European Internet networks aswell...)

baronofhell said:

We own the world, because our military will kick your ass. We have bases everywhere, we can kill you right where you sit quickly, we are the empire of babylon, bow before us.

What

I don't know if that's a feeble attempt at a troll or if you're actually being serious; either way it's hilarious that people actually think that way. Enjoy your "empire" :P

Naked Snake said:

Well, see, technically, the US "owns" the internet since we invented it. It's all really messy.

Arpanet was developed by the US military, sure, but the World Wide Web as we know it was developed at CERN in switzerland, who are about as multinational as you can get. And since this whole net neutrality seems to revolve more around what sites people get to visit rather than what physical connections they use, I think that the Web is the more important aspect, which the US had nothing to do with.

However, I'm guessing that this whole thing will only affect people inside the states, although it's kinda unclear really, with all the bullshit surrounding it. Oh well.

Edit: And according to this wiki article, The Web was originally devised by none other than a Brit. And with a belgian, later on.

I would also like to point out that net regulation would also lead into Great Depression 2.0 (If the bill gets passed, the U.S. economy will end up going straight down to the shitters)