Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caco_killer

Duke Nukem Forever may be out this year.

AirRaid said:

Hell, it looked incredible BEFORE portals were added. :D

Indeed. The version I played three years ago when I made a map for the project has mapping tricks in it that I STILL haven't seen used in any map released to the public.

The topic title says:
Duke Nukem Forever may be out this year.

That's what they said last year. :P

Grab your hats kids, it's gonna be another ten years before the DNF commet flies by again.

Scabbed Angel said:

id software just confirmed that DNF will be released "when it's done".

Does anyone really care about DN anymore? They pretty well sucked to begin with. Just put it out of it's misery already.

Youre retarded. And what the hell does ID Software have to do with a 3D REALMS game?

Believe me, DNF is closer to being finished than any other previous version

"With Take-Two holding out a $500,000 promissory note as a carrot to get Duke Nukem Forever, some PC gamers became hopeful that the project would be finished in time for the 2006 holiday season. Others worried that the storied title, which has been in development since 1997, would be rushed into production before it was truly ready. "

Hahahaha, right. Deadline isn't even a word to 3D Realms.

Csonicgo said:

Deadline isn't even a word to 3D Realms.

Uh, no shit? Why do you think they switched from 199x to "When It's Done"?

deathbringer said:
By the time it does arrive it, like Millenium, will look tame, bland, outdated and un-innovative, unless of course they start from scratch...

Like Quasar already mentioned, but you have the wrong impression here. Can't speak for Millenium of course, but it's reasonable to assume that its development cycle is more or less similar to my project. Which is a constant recurring process of renewal. You start out making a map, more or less finish it, time goes by when you work on other stuff, and then you discover that your first map doesn't cut it anymore... maybe you changed ports... adjusted theming... or you redid your texture resources... or maybe your mapping skills just outgrew the things you made in that first map. And you will have to redo that first map... either updating it or starting from scratch again.

For example, my guestimate is that the overall majority of stuff I have now is no older than 2 years. I can think of only a few area's that are older than that.

Point being: getting a project done is not advancing in a direct line from scratch to retail.

Commercial projects are the same, in regard that updates to the engine or resources require updating other stuff such as maps. As a company, you try to minimise that of course. And sometimes it goes horribly wrong. For example: Daikatana's development.

leileilol said:

Name one or two FPS games that feature the Shrinker.

Yeah, because every good FPS game needs a gimmicky gun.

There's a lot more to a good game than the selection of ridiculous weapons. Face it, DNF will more than likely do nothing that hasn't been done already.

deathbringer said:

...Millenium, will look tame, bland, outdated and un-innovative,...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha Oh man that was a good one.

Dittohead said:

There's a lot more to a good game than the selection of ridiculous weapons. Face it, DNF will more than likely do nothing that hasn't been done already.

This is what I was trying to say.

Well it sounds like nobody really cares about the game, so why don't we talk about a game we know is actually coming out, like Prey? It looks pretty cool. I like the idea of a game that features things from the Native American culture.

The imminent release of Prey just shows that something that took a loooong way to develop does not have to "look tame, bland, outdated and un-innovative". At least, according to the preview I read today.

Human Head was working on that game for two years, so they probably redid a ton of stuff in it to make it more up-to-date. The demo is coming out soon, I'm looking forward to seeing what the game has to offer (like what happens when you die, I've heard you go somewhere when that happens instead of having to reload your save file).

Dittohead said:

Yeah, because every good FPS game needs a gimmicky gun.

Duke Nukem 3D was probably the most fun FPS of that era, precisely because of the thousands of little gimmicky touches.

Ever tried crouching down and pressing the enter button in front of an electrical socket? Duke sticks his fingers in it. Zzzzzap!

It's that kind of freedom that had (a) never been seen before, (b) is completely pointless, and (c) is very, very funny. I'm hoping that duke 4 has the same level of freedom and creativity. And that's why I personally can;t wait for it to be released.

I personally would love to see 3drealms prove everyone wrong and DNF be startling, because deep down I admit. Duke3d was fun.

Editing and modding it was a fucking bitch though.

rf` said:

Editing and modding it was a fucking bitch though.

I slightly disagree, atleast when it comes to level editing. Duke3D has one of the best packaged level editors out there. I'm thinking that's precisely why the engine was so popular, that and it must have been easy to make a fast paced game with lots of interactivity.

OK i take back the Millenium comment, and now that, er, everyone mentions it, i remember a page with screenshots from the "old" Millenium (with some square, dark, undetailed rooms) and the "new" one, which looked very nice. Of course the "new" one then is now old, so it will probably be updated again...and so on

and i do remember watching a video of DNF that featured a bit where you ride a motorbike, i havent seen that done in an FPS before, there, innovation!

deathbringer said:

and i do remember watching a video of DNF that featured a bit where you ride a motorbike, i havent seen that done in an FPS before, there, innovation!

That's been done in Joint Ops, Delta Force Xtreme, and a few other military shooters, I think. Although I'm sure this was meant as sarcasm.

mallis said:

Duke Nukem 3D was probably the most fun FPS of that era, precisely because of the thousands of little gimmicky touches.

Ever tried crouching down and pressing the enter button in front of an electrical socket? Duke sticks his fingers in it. Zzzzzap!

It's that kind of freedom that had (a) never been seen before, (b) is completely pointless, and (c) is very, very funny.

I agree. Pointless crap like that is very important to me in video games.

AndrewB said:

it's called 'imagination', and I know that it is something that you can't appreciate,.

AndrewB said:

That time of pointless crap can add a lot of replay value to a video game.

I would say: Imaginative gameplay + pointless crap + good editing features * good singlepayer/multiplayer replay opportunities = Good Game.

I'm sure you can add a few more variables to my equation.

Mordeth said:

The imminent release of Prey just shows that something that took a loooong way to develop does not have to "look tame, bland, outdated and un-innovative". At least, according to the preview I read today.

Originally, from the previews I read back in the day, Prey was meant to be a one-on-one type of game where you were being hunted but had to become the hunter to survive. They were planning on making the environment destructible. From the E3 videos I've seen, it's no longer that game.

That's understandable when the game has been in and out of developement for nearly a decade. It's not surprising that the game has undergone massive shifts in concept.

BlitZ said:

Believe me, DNF is closer to being finished than any other previous version

After this long i should hope so.

mallis said:

I always thought he was licking it.

but yes, fun, distracting crap is always welcome! and hell, they can really take it up a few notches with a good physics engine and a bit of imagination.